The key to Sawyer Smith and Ahmad Wagner’s chemistry

It’s no secret Ahmad Wagner has become one of Kentucky’s most-dangerous offensive weapons this season. His size, athleticism and uncanny ability to draw a penalty combine to make him lethal for the Wildcats. So far this season, he has nine catches and seven pass-interference calls going his way – that’s good for a 94 percent success rate for balls thrown his way this year.

Wagner and Sawyer Smith agree: the reps they got in with one another before the season officially began have played a huge role in their success now that they both see significant playing time. During camp, Wagner and Smith both played with the twos.

I was a two a lot during camp, and we got a lot of reps together. Camp is everyday for a lot of hours, and we got a lot of throws together,” Wagner said Tuesday. “I was no stranger to Sawyer [Smith] when he got put in the mix. Like I’ve said before, he’s a great player and I’m happy to be a receiver for him.”

Smith echoed his teammate’s sentiment Wednesday evening.

“I have good chemistry with all of the receivers I think, but we threw a little bit more probably, being that he was also a two,” Smith said of his success rate with Wagner.

Wagner, who’s listed at 6-foot-5 and 234 pounds, is responsible for his fair share of incredible catches, including this spectacular grab against Florida.

But, according to Wagner, he can’t take all of the credit for great catches like that.

“[Smith] throws a great ball. If I don’t catch it, it’s my fault – it’s nothing to do with him. It’s on me.”

Smith, on the other hand would rather credit his receiver.

“He’s a good target to throw to. Anybody would say that,” Kentucky’s quarterback said of Wagner “He’s a fun target; he’s a big dude.”

Do we have a new bromance on our hands? Or just two really complimentary teammates? Either way, I’m sold.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

9 Comments for The key to Sawyer Smith and Ahmad Wagner’s chemistry

1. Dusten
    10:05 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Ahmad may be my favorite player on this team. So exciting to watch and then so humble in an interview.

2. cathatter
    10:09 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Wagner was a 2 during camp?…say all you want but Stoopss aint very bright!!!

• makeitstop
      10:58 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Weepitino? U back? If u were an actual UK fan I’d say if they flew u to Bermuda on a private jet u would complain u didn’t get frequent flyer miles but ur no cats fan, u can’t even enjoy a success story (Josh Allen anyone?)…. but really ur just a guy who hates UK and has nothing better to do but pretend to be a fan on a website. Livin’ the dream. Mom’s got ur meatloaf ready, run along.

• mashburnfan1
      10:59 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Yea, what a dummy. Just took a program that Sunbelt teams could beat before he got here to a New Years Day Bowl win over a great program. Beat UF at UF, something so many could not do. Won 10 games in a season, 1st time in over 40 years. Now getting recruits that Bama, OSU, UGA, Michigan, ND, LSU and many others want. Oh and he has never lost more games following a season, always improving. And he has a deep and talented team right now that should stay this way as long as he is here. Not to mention our second team of today could probably the first team of what he took over. If you knew anything Wagner took up football late, was a basketball player. Oh and he makes per game what aid you will get from the Gov’t in your lifetime.

• 4everUKblue
      9:16 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

Well look here, mashbum the one sport “fan” throwing shade at a stupid comment. Normally he’s the one making the stupid comments.

3. Big Sexy
    10:20 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Seems like all it took was a QB who could throw in order for himself to showcase his talent.

4. zoupman
    12:00 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

Whatever. Where was this on 3rd and 2?

5. bbn606
    1:14 pm September 19, 2019 Permalink

94% success. I would ride that gravy train till the wheels fell off.

6. ukisdabest