Kentucky’s Offense Finally Spread the Field

It took longer than most would like, but Kentucky’s offense finally started spreading the ball around the field.

After one half, Terry Wilson had completed 5-of-7 pass attempts. Before the game was finished, Wilson connected with eight different receivers. It was quite a change of pace in the second half.

“They made some competitive catches. And again, I think later in the game when we were just settling in running our offense, throwing it, drop-back pass, we were efficient. That’s why late in the game we were trying to throw more as well. Just to get Terry comfortable,” Mark Stoops said. “He missed some throws, but that’s why we went back at it and kept on throwing it, and then he made some very good throws.”

Wilson started one fourth quarter drive by bouncing one off the turf in the direction of Josh Ali. Less than three minutes later Wilson hit Ali for a score, UK’s second in that timeframe. In a short amount of time, Kentucky’s offense found its rhythm.

We wanted to get the ball down the field. We talked about being more explosive,” said offensive coordinator Eddie Gran. “It was a good opportunity to get better throwing the ball. It was our opportunity to see if you can throw and catch.

Wilson proved he could throw it, completing 19-of-26 passes for 226 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He didn’t have to rely exclusively on one receiver either. Ahmad Wagner, Allen Dailey, Keaton Upshaw and A.J. Rose all had more than one reception. The best catch of the day came from Bryce Oliver on a 32-yard touchdown reception.

Bowden finished with a team-high six receptions, but he was happy to see others get in the action because it helps him.

“(It’s) Way easier. They can’t just play me double-team. It’s spreads the field,” he said.

“Our receiving corps, our tight end corps and our running backs, we can do anything,” said tight end Justin Rigg. “With so many targets, it’s hard for defenses to know who we’re going to go to. They can’t really double one person because in they do, we have another target.”

The wide receivers proved they’re playmakers. Not only does their emergence make Bowden’s job easier, it spreads the field for the play-caller. He just wishes they would’ve have let it rip sooner.

“It forces defenses to defend the whole field, first of all,” Eddie Gran added.

“I was really proud of them. We could have attacked it more early, probably waited too long to attack it, but I was excited the way those receivers caught the ball well, made some contested catches. The big guy out there, it’s hard to cover him. You get some PIs on him. Rigg in the red zone, we throw him the ball up there and the guy is just pulling him down. Terry threw a great ball and we got the PI. Those are the things we gotta work on to keep those matchups for us in our favor.”

For the first time in a long time, Kentucky’s wide receivers won one-on-one matchups and did not drop a pass. The Kentucky offense will not look the same with more explosive, young playmakers being targeted all over the field.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

18 Comments for Kentucky’s Offense Finally Spread the Field

1. Biggie
    8:34 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning QB’s are the best! Truly, I find most of their criticism entertaining and lack of football knowledge so pathetic it makes me laugh. Did TW miss a couple of throws, yes. Did his lack of more rushing yards give me cause for pause, yes. However, did he turn the ball over like last year, no. Did he statistically have one of the better games of his Uk career, yes. Most importantly, did we win, yes! Unlike our rivals south we are 1-0 and against a team expected to win a very competitive mid-major conference. I like my QB, I like my Coaching staff, I like my TEAM!

• mashburnfan1
      10:14 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

TW will be great for UK. His best throw and read did not count and if it had he would have been near 275 yards. It was 3rd down and long and he made what looked like a 3rd read to Dailey and hit him with a perfect pass leading him to the ball, sadly Logan got hit with another huge penalty on the play which he seems to do every game. I said a few weeks ago we have a great and deep WR/TE group, Dailey surprised me but Oliver and Ali I expected as well as Bowden. Still not taking advantage of our TE mismatches though. And Gran and his run up the middle on 1st down has to stop. The few times he did not is when we had success. And no more stupid 3 run plays up the middle and punt BS either.

• Biggie
      10:42 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Shhh Mash, think maybe our TE play might be the difference with FL this year and maybe we didn’t need to exploit that with an inferior team? The way they sent the house against Miami, quick seam routes over the middle will be deadly! For once can you just acknowledge the positive without spouting off about the obvious flaws my 8yr old grandson can see? My apologies if you are a seasoned Coach but just maybe our guys in charge know what the hell they are doing.

• UKfanman01
      5:13 pm September 1, 2019 Permalink

Agreed totally! I love my team bro!!! At least an 8-4 season (that’s at worst)

2. Youngcat25
    8:50 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Well said biggie!

3. sincitycat
    8:52 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ll drink to that Biggie!

• Biggie
      10:33 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Cheers to you my friend!

4. makeitstop
    9:22 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Yea me too – this staff has built a program. Are there holes this year? Uh… yea. We lost the POY on D! And the whole secondary. But overall. There’s a lot of talent and they’re well coached. If we can stay reasonable healthy and those D-backs grow up fast, they could still finish 2d in the East in a rebuilding year! At least we didn’t lose to Ga State or Memphis or (ahem) Carolina!

5. bailey000
    9:39 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Everyone is taking a crap on Toledo for some reason. We beat Central Michigan by 15 last year game 1. I think they finished with 1 win. It’s week 1, we will be better next week. Proud of our boys. Go big blue

• mashburnfan1
      10:17 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Toledo was not bad and has decent starters, depth wore them out. Our D played pretty well the 2nd half, one missed WR but they missed the pass. This young DB group will be ok, am worried about Brown as he was not good today. Echols is a stud and hope Mosely and Devonshire can ome on and take Bns placeas that spot was a major concern today.

6. TOMCATS1990
    9:57 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

We played Well the 2nd half. It’s a nice win over a pretty good team.

7. Dee
    10:16 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Yes. I was surprised how good UK played in the 2nd half. Toledo is a solid team. No excuse for us to lose to Tennessee this year!

8. bbn606
    10:21 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Some SEC teams lost today to teams less talented than Toledo.

9. dcforuk
    10:25 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Main thing in week one is to get THE W! A par is a par regardless if it’s a solid two-putt par or an ugly chip in for par.

10. KYCat4EVER
    11:40 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Did y’all here what biggie said?

Then get on board, don’t have different opinions, and agree with him or your gonna get called nasty names !

?

GO BIG BLUE

• Biggie
      11:57 pm August 31, 2019 Permalink

Sorry bra, didn’t mean to offend your sensitivity…not sure what nasty names I used but much apologies! Maybe it’s my age, but having seen many years of pathetic football I’m tremendously grateful for what the program has finally started building!

• ClutchCargo
      3:54 am September 1, 2019 Permalink

Stick to 60’s era basketball, UKCAPSLOCK4EVER.

• Skooms
      10:00 am September 1, 2019 Permalink

Biggie, don’t bother to acknowledge or respond to anything Mashturd or KYcapslock4ever posts on here. Mash usually sticks to bashing the basketball team, however ole Capslock bashes all of the program. I think they usually have 1 positive post for every 20 negative ones.