Kentucky’s naming rights deal for Kroger Field tops in terms of value

Two years ago, Kentucky sold the naming rights to Commonwealth Stadium to Kroger, and according to a recent article, they’re getting a great return compared to other college programs.

Watch Stadium’s Andy Wittry put together a list of programs that have sold the naming rights to their stadiums, and Kentucky’s deal with Kroger is at the top when it comes to value. The 12-year, $22.2 million contract yields an average of $1.85 million per year, the most of any program on the list. The rest of the top five: Rutgers’ new deal with SHI International for $1.45 million per year; Minnesota’s deal with TCF Financial for $1.4 million per year; Cal’s deal with Kabam for $1.18 million per year; and North Texas’ deal with Apogee Telecom for $1 million per year.

Given how much fun we made of the name “Kroger Field” when the deal was announced, I don’t even think twice about it anymore.

[Watch Stadium]

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Kentucky’s naming rights deal for Kroger Field tops in terms of value

1. madarchitect
    2:57 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

I still think twice and I don’t ever think that Kroger field will sound normal to me. Notice that none of the big-name programs are on the list above.

Is Rupp Arena next?

• mm40
      3:30 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

The big name programs are not on the list yet. College football is all about the money. In the near future I would say a large majority programs ( big names included) will be making money from naming rights.

2. Bourbon-n-Coke
    4:39 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

We want to be respected in the SEC but continue to do make ourselves look foolish, like this stadium naming deal. It’s an embarrassment no matter the money it generates. Notice that no other SEC school has sold themselves and their fan base out. Do you really think UGA is going to rename Sanford Stadium “Bass Pro Shop Stadium” or Florida will have “Publix Field, formerly known as The Swamp?Shame on Mitch and company. That money could easily be made up selling beer or scheduling a decent non-conference game people would want to pay a premium to see.

• katsrock
      7:09 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

Exactly!
      I DO think twice about it and I will NEVER call it grocery field.
      It’s COMMONWEALTH STADIUM dammit!

• MtnCat
      10:29 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

I like the corporate tie in, and it has to be good for Kroger, prices for groceries have gone up substantially since their sign went up on the stadium. I see no disrespect in wanting to be a part of UK athletics. Wild Bill Gatton has paid plenty to have his name on UK edifices.

• claiborne_field
      9:30 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

You don’t think UF will change Florida Field for some cash? There’s no doubt it’ll eventually happen. You do know that’s it’s actual name- not the Swamp.

• claiborne_field
      10:16 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

Actually, I stand corrected. It’s Ben Griffin Stadium at Spurrier Florida Field… something still tells me they would definitely be willing to mess with those names for some extra income.

• bbn606
      9:46 am August 28, 2019 Permalink

I can be embarrassed all day for 1.85 million.

3. hal9944
    4:54 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

Sir, you’re Drunk!

4. pappageorgio
    5:42 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

Well said bourbon n coke!

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    6:30 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

North Texas???

6. My Dixie Wrecked
    7:27 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

So what you’re saying is Kroger is getting screwed.

7. mashburnfan1
    7:56 pm August 26, 2019 Permalink

I still call it CWS, that is what it is. Why not let them have Kroger Field at CWS. Kroger field is not the name of a stadium, it is a field. They did not call it Kroger Stadium, let the state have CWS.