Kentucky’s bowl projections after loss to Tennessee

Barring a major surprise in tomorrow night’s playoff rankings, Kentucky’s loss to Tennessee knocked them out of contention for a New Year’s Six bowl. At 7-3 with two winnable games left, where do college football experts believe the Cats will end up this postseason? The Citrus Bowl in Orlando on January 1 (1 p.m., ABC).

ESPN: Outback Bowl vs. Michigan State OR Citrus Bowl vs. Northwestern

Sports Illustrated: Belk Bowl vs. NC State

The Sporting News: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Michigan State

CBS Sports: Citrus Bowl vs. Penn State

SB Nation: Citrus Bowl vs. Penn State

247 Sports: Citrus Bowl vs. Northwestern

Brett McMurphy: Fiesta Bowl vs. UCF

McMurphy is the only major prognosticator to still have the Cats in a New Year’s Six Bowl, which he says is dependent on them winning out and beating Florida out for the spot (currently, he has the Gators in the Citrus Bowl). Tomorrow’s updated playoff rankings will tell us a lot.

Don’t forget, Citrus Bowl reps have already visited Kentucky this season. There are far worse things than Orlando in January…just please let Northwestern end up somewhere else.

[mobile_ad]

22 Comments for Kentucky’s bowl projections after loss to Tennessee

1. CKTermy23
    3:41 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m fine with Northwestern as the opponent we owe them a loss for last year. You now what they say about payback!

2. RondoTheDonThough
    3:43 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

We need a beatable opponent like Northwestern. They won their division so there’s that.

3. davis2319
    3:43 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

The Belk bowl or the Taxslayer bowl would be a huge let down.

4. jaws2
    3:48 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Not trying to be a downer here, but the way we’re playing RIGHT NOW, we’d lose to every one of those teams. Unless you’re totally blue goggled, you know it’s true. We better change our offensive output quickly or we’ll have trouble winning out. Deep down you know it.

• JASUN74
      4:12 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Jaws I agree with you bud. If we can’t change our thinking on the offensive side of the ball then we’re in trouble this year and moving forward. I’m hoping, just like I know you are, that we do turn it around and start playing like this team deserves to get to play. Could u imagine how happy those guys and we would be if Stoops just said “ Eddie you take the reign and let it rip. I want 50 per game the next three games”. The problem is I don’t think he does that!! I really hope he does though. What have we got to lose now ? It will be the difference in next year, starting in the top 15 or not in the top 25.

• ClutchCargo
      5:59 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

You’re not wrong. But if we win out, that will likely mean we have fixed some of the offensives problems, so I’m not that worried.

• JASUN74
      10:10 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yes clutch, as you said if we win out, it will have work it’s self out. Excluding the Tennessee game, we’re not that far from scoring quite a bit more. As Coach Stoops has said in not so many words, With our style of offense without a few mistakes and just a couple more two or three yards here and there, we keep the ball 3/4 of the games and when we have a fresh defense, we are a scary team to play. I just wish we could’ve figured some of this out before we lost to A&M. Even that game we should have won I think. I still would like to have Murray from Oklahoma back there. Lol. Tear them up. It’s coming though I’m sure and I’m just going to forget and quit talking about, what might have beens. We are very very close

5. gasman01
    3:51 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Northwestern a far cry from a Ohio St. What a terrible loss Saturday!!!

• KYCat4EVER
      7:21 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Agree Gasman01… however, it would absolutely have stunk to high heavens IF our Cats would have made it into a bowl game against OSU, and played like they did against Tennessee. SO GLAD the charade ended before UK got waxed by a Big Ten team: especially OSU.

6. Lexingtonyn
    3:52 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Fiesta? That mug drunk? That ended on Sat.

7. CoachCat
    3:58 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yay!!! Orlando. We had a shot to be in a big bowl and you’re excited about Orlando lmao. Give me a break

• mashburnfan1
      10:21 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Citrus and Outback are great Bowls. Yes we had higher hopes last week but if anyone would have given us the Citrus or Outback Bowls before the season started everyone would have gladly accepted. A&M and UT losses should not have happened if we had an OC that had a pair, he does not and we are still looking at a New Years day game. Long way from 2-10 and we have some young talent to replace what we lose.

8. Truth_Hurts
    4:01 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m going to say Citrus versus either Michigan St. or Penn St.

9. JASUN74
    4:04 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t mind have a rematch with Northwestern. Be a great way to see our progress. I honestly wouldn’t care to anyone of those teams except UCF. I know a lot of people has said they’re low level,blah,blah ,blah. But ! We just couldn’t keep up with their scoring. We just can’t. We are the better team I believe but when they are on fire they are really good team. I think we could maybe score 21 on them, but even with our defense, we haven’t saw an offense like that. I know some of you won’t Agree with me and you may be right, just my opinion. I think we match up pretty well with Michigan St , Penn St and both would be Great games and great wins. Go cats. We will get back at this week and start playing good football. Ok now! Lol. We will be very lucky to be 20. We honestly may have dropped out of the top 25 if not for a few teams losing and we still may. I don’t know how we have don’ this guys. I really don’t. We are a top 5-6 team playing the last few weeks like we forgot everything. I don’t have an answer for it. I really don’t. I love this team as much as anyone I’ve ever watched but it just doesn’t make sense. To have everything going and just collapsing in Nashville is hard to explain. We have a great bunch of kids out there that has so much talent and most of this stuff just can’t be put on their backs. Anyway , I don’t know how the guys that rank us see it, but hopefully they can overlook this last game a little bit and it not hurt us bad. Who know though, by the end of the season, if we win out convincingly,” which is hard to see happening right now!”, and a few teams ahead of us have letdowns, we may make it back to 13-15 range. That would be a great start to getting this program in the right direction.

• jaws2
      4:12 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I said 2 weeks ago that UCF couldn’t beat any SEC team, after our last game, I’ve changed my mind. We don’t want to play THAT offense. Couldn’t be a worse matchup for our defense and you KNOW Gran can’t put up enough points to out gun them. Just the facts mam.

10. gasman01
    4:07 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

It would be tough to see Florida get our Peach Bowl Bid.

• JASUN74
      4:17 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Ohh man. Lol. That would hurt my soul.

11. N-UR-i
    4:53 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Fire Eddie Gran

12. BluKudzu
    5:56 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Noffense.
    Gran said he was going to make big plays happen, let’s see what he does the next two games. If we can’t put up 30 on either MTSU or Da Ville, forget about a Florida bowl.
    Sad to have come this far and have every team figure out how to stop our offense.
    Our Defense played championship caliber, which I am so very thankful for, finally.
    Hope we do not have to wait another 5-6 years to get an offense.

• dbcline1
      8:36 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yes he should have made big changes weeks ago! Yes I hope we score lots of points on both our last games but omg why wouldn’t they make adjusymuch sooner?!!!

13. angscot1
    6:45 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

It shouldn’t have taken this long to make big plays happen, Gran is full of shit.

14. Jesus H. Chrysler
    10:14 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

the Toilet Bowl will be an option if they lose either of these last two games