Kentucky will give Drake Jackson a look at Center

Kentucky has played four games of the 2017 season and there has been at least one botched snapped in each game.  Against Florida, it was a timely error.  The ball from Nick Haynes sailed over Stephen Johnson’s head on third and goal and forced Kentucky to kick a field goal.

“We’ll continue to work all options,” Mark Stoops said at today’s press conference.  “I mean, obviously we know we can’t have that.  I think, as I said after the game, it was very hot, he was very sweaty.  There’s times where I think his grip is an issue.”

One of the options many wish to see is Drake Jackson.  The former Army All-American center from Woodford County has yet to see any action through four games of his redshirt freshman season.  On today’s depth chart, Jackson was listed as the third option behind Haynes and Stallings.  Stoops said they’ll see what Drake has to offer this week at practice.

“We gotta continue to look at all options.  We’ll give– maybe look at Drake (Jackson) a little bit this week too and see if we can move Bunchy to guard a little bit.  We gotta continue to tweak that and try to be as perfect as we can be.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for Kentucky will give Drake Jackson a look at Center

1. sprtphan
    12:57 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

Sweaty hands? Yeah right.

2. chief_cat
    1:04 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

I know Gran is in love with the Wildcat formation but these snaps kill us. Why not try having Johnson line up directly under center. For that matter, why not have Snell line up in that formation when it is 3rd and short. Depend on the big uglies to push forward enough to give Snell a chance to barrel through for a first down. I just don’t like our chances with snaps into the shotgun or pistol. Even on those that are fielded by the backs, too many are off target and cause delays in the backfield which ultimately cost us yardage.

• Han
      1:52 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

One of the worst snaps we’ve had this season was a high snap over Johnson, so it’s not like it’s just Bunchy having trouble snapping to running backs.

3. TakenNotGiven
    1:49 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

That maybe worries me. Drake should absolutely get a shot. Perhaps he’s already had chances in practice, but these snaps are killing us. I’ve been surprised he hasn’t been thrown in one of the games yet.

4. EastKYCAT
    2:25 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

I know we are going to have some individuals call this a bad idea. However, I think this going to open up a lot for the CATS on the O-line. Now we will have Bunchy in his natural position on the Guard spot which then will help things in rotation with Mason Wolf (#77) not to be thrown into to the wolves to early in his career.
    Like with anybody first time maybe getting to start I hope he is ready. I believe the snaps will be more at the hands instead of 15 feet above the QB and RB.

5. Catcasey1
    2:28 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s time to at least try it

6. TBW3011
    2:34 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

Can’t keep moving centers. Find one and figure it out.

7. BluKudzu
    2:44 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

If you do not have a center figured out by this time of the season, you need to find another coach. The center to QB is the most important exchange in football.
    This blows my mind. 1/3 of the season over and we still do not have the center position dialed in?

8. J-Dub421
    3:43 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

Great. I’ve been wanting Drake Jackson for at least two games now because the constant bad snaps are absolutely killing us. Bad snaps cost us a touchdown against Florida.

9. 1stkatman
    11:54 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

Guess what.? Drake Jackson played a little in the South Carolina game, right after the goal line stand.
    He did well but only finished that one short series as we went three and out.

10. symphonist41169
    7:49 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

“You’re killing me, Snaps….”