Kentucky Vs UT: Prediction Round-Up

USA TODAY

So here we are at the potential crossroads of Kentucky’s football season. IF the Cats can pull off the 7 point upset against UT then 8-4 is very much on the table alongside a .500 record in the SEC for the first time in decades. If the Cats get blown out like they did against Mississippi State then all eyes switch to basketball season until at least the Louisville game and possibly beyond.

As you’ll see, for just about the first time this season the Cats are playing the role of true underdog. In every other game this season at least one national writer has picked the Cats but for tomorrow’s game everyone is picking the Vols. That could be a blessing in disguise for UK. As we saw against Florida and Auburn the spotlight and pressure of a winnable game seemed to weigh on a young team and completely throw off the first half. Tomorrow the boys in blue will be playing with house money and have a chance to catch the Vols as the team with the pressure to win. To do that they’ll certainly be facing an uphill battle according to these predictions:

Saturday Down South

Christopher: Kentucky’s defense is what we thought they were. That’s what Dak Prescott revealed to all of us in Week 8, and to a lesser extent Sean White in Week 7. I fully expect Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs to be good enough to exploit that unit as well. UK’s pass defense allows 7.4 yards per attempt. The Wildcats offense averages 19.8 points per game against SEC competition this year. The narrative that Kentucky has turned around its program may be true in the intermediate term, but in the short term, this team has more personnel issues than some are acknowledging. For now, UT is the better team.

Tennessee 31, Kentucky 17

FBS Schedules

Tennessee doesn’t lose to Kentucky often. In fact, they lost to the Wildcats in 2011 and right after Reagan was reelected for his second term[…]

The Cats have been better this year, but as they usually do, they lost to Florida to end any hopes of removing that monkey off their backs and then took a beating from Mississippi State at home last week to solidify their standing as non-SEC East champions one more season. If that doesn’t make Kentucky fans long for basketball season even more, this game will.

Kentucky is improving each year under Mark Stoops, but any large success will quickly be followed by a huge payday at another school for Mr. Stoops[…]

No moral victories for Tennessee this week. The Vols take care of business in dominant fashion in Lexington as they prepare for a strong November finish.
PREDICTION: Tennessee 50, Kentucky 14

What are your predictions for the Halloween clash?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

12 Comments for Kentucky Vs UT: Prediction Round-Up

1. leon singleton
    10:15 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky 48 Tenn. 45 3 overtimes.

• Robert Layne
      10:32 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

LOL Leon! There you go again. How many times have we told you NOT to drink prior to posting your predictions?!

2. Al Cayce
    10:20 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

The Vols will hand UK asses to them like the rest of the teams will except Charlatte. Who are you trying to kid. Next year will be worse. Show me wins!

• David E.
      10:35 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

Tennessee 48 UK 3 (At the half)

3. Catlogic15
    10:34 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

50-14 sounds about right. Similar to last year.
    Tennessee is better than last year. We are not.

• Cats paw
      11:58 pm October 30, 2015 Permalink

Yea but wait to next year. Another million dollar raise to the coach and a couple more of these great ohio recruits will have us right where we need to be….battling out last place with Vandy!

4. BluKudzu
    2:16 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

Tennessee is as young as Kentucky. So I suppose the youth rationalization on why we struggle against teams will not be a factor in this game?
    We have great recruiters. We can win this game. They have Freshmen on the line.
    This game really does not matter anyway. It is the last three that do. We get those, we will be fine.
    Go Cats!!!!!

5. BBN
    7:08 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

No pass rush, no offensive line, dropped passes, couple interceptions, couple stupid play calls – UT 52 Cats 10.

• Nuclearcontamination
      8:07 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

Yep that pretty much sums it up. I think we might score 13.

6. BluKudZu
    8:28 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

I am a football fan first. I am a wildcat fan second. My favorite team has been, and always will be the Kentucky Wildcats. I care more for the players than I do the coaches and administration. I will never attack the players. They are on the field putting life and limb at risk, every play.
    When I see poor performance, I question why.
    At that point, I question the coaches. Players get on the field because the coaches put them there. Players play the way they were taught, and do the best they can. Their success or failure is totally at the hands of the coaching staff. When our players leave it on the field, I am grateful. When we lose games, get blown out, I feel for the players. When it happens a lot, I ask why.
    I offer opinions, based on facts, my statistics I use are official, right from the NCAA. I hold the coaches responsible for what is on the field and the results.
    I expect the best from our coaches, everyday and every play. They are compensated extremely well, and need to be held accountable. If you do not have the players that perform, that is on you.
    If the coaching continues to show they are not capable of managing and maintaining the offense, defense and special teams, I call them out. If no urgency is noticed to shore up the weaknesses, then the AD needs to do something besides give out raises and continue to talk about the future
    That is my position. That is what I am.
    This game against UT is critical. This is a statement game for Stoops, and will define this entire year. Win a game, against a young team, against a team considered good, but have had questionable coaching decisions, which may have cost them games, would be priceless, and would put the brakes on those who are just beginning to criticize the efforts provided thus far. Even a good showing without winning would please most of the fans (not me). Lose in the fashion we did against MSU; total disaster for the season in so many ways.
    It amazes me that Kentucky fans will accept “just playing good” against other teams in football.
    If we had that in basketball, the AD would be fired.
    Plenty of programs turn it around in the third year with nothing left from the previous staff. It is the third year for Shoops. We are 2 plays away from being 6-1. We are also 4 plays away from being winless.
    Including today, the toughest part of our schedule is in front of us. This game will tell us where we are, and likely, what the rest of the season holds. It should give Stoops the motivation to change and fix the problems. Hopefully we win.

• The Rest of the story
      8:49 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

Extremely well said. Fans do not dump on Matt Elam, he is trying his best and will be a great player once he gets the proper coaching and most of all training. Stoops has issues with his staff and better take care of matters this off season.

7. The Rest of the story
    8:43 am October 31, 2015 Permalink

Cats are not gonna win this. This team is not prepared properly for SEC competition, the offensive and defensive lines are a joke only due to poor coaching and training. Towels plays real poorly under pressure and our OC is so predictable. These are issues Stoops HAS GOT to address at the end of the season. He has recruited talent equal to most SEC schools but that talent is not being prepared properly. UT42-UK 28