Kentucky Top 15 in CBS Sports’ Power Rankings

Kentucky is No. 17 in both the AP and Coaches Polls, but CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd has the Cats even higher in his power rankings. Dodd ranks Kentucky 15th, an 11-spot jump from their previous spot.

“Go ahead and celebrate, Kentucky,” Dodd writes. “The Wildcats are 2-0 in the SEC for the first time since 1977. A shutdown of Mississippi State sends a message for athletic directors everywhere: Patience. Mark Stoops may be turning the corner in Year 6.”

Mississippi State fell four spots to No. 21 after being “exposed” vs. Kentucky.

“The rain, the Wildcats and Benny Snell. In less-than-ideal conditions the Bulldogs were exposed at Kentucky. Snell, the SEC’s leading rusher, ran for four touchdowns, including two in the fourth quarter, to seal the upset.”

Texas A&M fell out of the rankings, leaving Georgia as the Cats’ only remaining ranked opponent at No. 5. As Dodd notes, all eyes are on November 3:

[CBS Sports]

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for Kentucky Top 15 in CBS Sports’ Power Rankings

1. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    12:12 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

I hope he’s right about the importance of the Georgia game but It sure seems like everyone is getting way ahead of themselves after four games.

• foamfinger
      12:53 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

I agree, but we really need to take it week by week. I’m so scared that we’re going to have a hangover loss like we did after beating #1 LSU. Virginia Tech’s loss to Old Dominion reminded me anyone can win in any game. I think Stoops has done a good job preaching hard work and consistency, but I hope that the culture handles success the right way, especially as the national media beings to slowly turn around on the idea that Kentucky shouldn’t be considered under dogs anymore.

• BBNBRIAN
      1:32 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

I agree. It is awesome to have something to be excited about during football season, but we need to pump the brakes just a tad. Stoops has started a season 5 – 0 before… The 1 – 4 that followed that midseason contract extension is enough to keep my enthusiasm contained. I love our team and players, but Stoops still hasn’t entirely earned my trust.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:49 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

BBNBRIAN July 24, 2018 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      5 wins MAX… The only saving grace for 6 wins will be another “Lamar fumble to lose the game” scenario. The more likely scenario is that Stoops will poop the bed in 1-2 games that we “should have” won (again) and we finish with 4. Move him along and bring in a coach that has more qualifications than a “last name”.

• satcheluk
      11:23 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

Crickets

2. BrnGrubb003
    1:44 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

We still have dangerous games ahead…except maybe Vandy!

3. Matty Arbuckle
    1:45 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

^^Agreed. I hope the team doesn’t start “overlooking” opponents, because I’m sure we could still lose to any or none of the following teams: South Carolina, A

4. CombatMedic_98
    2:05 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

Top 10 folks…this team is very versatile and dynamic

• Yoda
      4:05 pm September 24, 2018 Permalink

This team has been crazy fun to watch the last 2 games, but if you think we are “versatile” and “dynamic” you’re out of your mind!

Snell runs the ball (very well) behind an offensive line that is blowing people up. Our passing offense is almost dead last in the NCAA and Terry Turnover couldn’t put touch on a pass if his life depended on it and will throw more INT’s than TD’s on the year (just like every year of his life). Our defense has been the foundation and must continue to dominate.

This team will go as far as the defense can take it, because better defenses are going to key on Snell and we’ll be left with no passing game to speak of.

• truebluefootballfan
      7:19 pm September 25, 2018 Permalink

Terry is a stud in the making. His upside is ridiculous. Anyone who can’t see that is blinded by their boy crush on Gunnar or Danny. The team as whole has and will continue to grow. SJ set the bar for what it means to hve the heart of a wildcat and every one of these guys are living up to their expectations. Careful how ya speak on our cats and our coach… Uk Big Board Update gonna call ya on your crap directly.