Kentucky Receivers, Meet Your Match

lamar_thomas miami

Let’s be honest for a minute. In regards to fan aggravation, nobody incited anger quite like the 2015 receiving corps. The receivers had legitimate SEC-talent and performed at a prodigious level, at times. Hopes were raised.

But, as the season lingered, indolent body language surfaced along with a reoccurring case of the drops. I’ll translate the previous sentence in football locker room language. The once self-assured group lost confidence. The missing assurance can be related to play-calling doubts, quarterback play, and the frustration of losing. I’ve said many times, if a team doesn’t have a WR meeting room full of divas, the program isn’t recruiting the right receivers. It’s just how those desired, yet fragile personalities are handled and motivated.  Nothing is more critical for the unique position.

The Kentucky receivers now meet Coach Lamar Thomas. If you’re of a certain age, you’ll remember the initial run of the “U” or the Miami Hurricanes. It was a unique spectacle all to itself. Not only did the Miami teams win, it did so in an “in your face” style that hadn’t been witnessed before in college football. While playing in that era, respect from their peers was vast. Respect led to jealousy, quite honestly. During that period, college football lacked characters, personalities, and intrigue. In other words, it was a cookie cutter product of boredom. That is until the “U” stormed onto the scene. Touchdown celebrations, confrontations, and the “we’re here to kick your butt” mentality translated to must-see television. Go ahead and insert your “Bama doesn’t do it that way” thoughts now.

So what does all this have to do with Kentucky Football? As it appears former Miami receiver Lamar Thomas will be making the move from Louisville to UK. My hope is that the first step he takes in his initial meeting with his players is to install the Jimmy Johnson/Dennis Erickson era Hurricane attitude. Not the current product of false bravado, but the Uncle Luke days. Swagger is good, if backed up by execution. Controlled arrogance is acceptable, if passes are being caught and touchdowns are scored.

The way I see it, confidence problems should disappear. Players are a reflection of their coach. Lamar Thomas has never been shy to voice his confidence or opinion. I like that. Certain I-64 West media members described Coach Thomas as just a recruiter, indicating that he didn’t actually coach the position. Don’t buy it for a minute. While being a former great player doesn’t always translate to coaching success, the intangibles within Thomas are necessary to apply within the Kentucky receiving corps.

Lamar Thomas will demand instant respect. He’s played the position and will be the biggest personality in the meeting room. Think about that for a minute. The hiring of Lamar Thomas is Mark Stoops’ fourth step in his program’s attitudinal adjustment. The first three being Eddie Gran, Darin Hinshaw, and Mark Hill. You wanted change, Stoops has delivered. I like the hire.

Article written by Freddie Maggard

Former University of Kentucky Quarterback and Andy Griffith Fan Club President

22 Comments for Kentucky Receivers, Meet Your Match

1. secrick
    12:09 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Freddie, Sounds like a good hire and you can tell it pissed off the card fans by all the crying they are doing. Why did he leave the cards to come coach at UK, was it more money in your opinion or maybe there are to many Pitrinio’s than he could handle, or is the stripper pole about to hit the football program to.

2. Booby Petrino
    12:13 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Time for scorpiocard to come in here and tell us why this isn’t a big deal and how his Music City Bowl champs are so much better than we ever will be…you know, the guy who was on KSR while his Cards were playing the #2 team in the nation last night. Arguing with UK fans is more important to him than watching his own team 🙂

• secrick
      12:27 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Yeah it’s about time for him to start , you know i bet he’s on a North Carolina site today bragging.

3. CATandMONKEY
    12:32 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Great to read your take on this Freddie. I will again apologize for once categorizing you as one of the KSR bloggers, as opposed to a writer. Your pieces are among the most poignant, insightful and powerful posts on KSR. I don’t know what you do for a full-time gig but Matt should make it worth your while to consider making this “your thing.”
    Looking forward to more.

4. chimichanga
    12:43 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Not a fan of this guy or his history of violence towards women.

This is why you don’t hire coaches from U of L.

5. Waterview1
    1:10 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

One article posted is 20 years old the other is 10 years old. Got anything else?

• inside info2
      1:30 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Regardless of the year it was written, I think it is a legit concern. Yes, he may have changed since then. God knows I have. But it is still a concern.

• chimichanga
      2:09 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

WTF. Sure, because who among us didn’t dabble in domestic violence in our younger years?

How recently should one’s list of violent transgressions have occurred to be relevant?

• secrick
      2:14 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I take it you guys that are against this hire are card fans and you where ok with it when it was at the ville as you call it. Who cares what you think.

• WillySpankit
      3:49 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I’m all about the Cats, but reading these articles made me a bit concerned about the hire. This is exactly the kind of stuff that we would give UofL hell for even though it was years ago, and all of a sudden overlooking it when he coaches for us is hypocritical. I’m not going to stop being a fan over one assistant hire but I hope that he’s past that crap far more than I hope he puts productive receivers on the field.

• chimichanga
      4:12 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I take it you have co-opted the Cards mentality of “win at all costs” regardless of any responsibility to our players and fans.

And I certainly don’t care what you think “secrick”, only an idiot would write what you wrote.

6. Kernel Sanders
    2:24 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I take it you guys that are defending him are hypocrites. If Lamar Thomas was still WR coach at UofL and this post had been a story about a recruit signing with UofL not UK because of Thomas, then the comments would overwhelmingly be about him being a “Crown Royal chugging, line beard wearing thug”. People can change. I am not bashing him. But yeah, people’s past acts come up when they are being hired. And they should be.

7. KatsKlaws
    2:36 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Since when do you need CIA level clearance to coach football…people make mistakes, they grow up and mature….he is a football coach…he teaches people to catch a ball…chill out….damn.

• Mathlete
      2:54 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

– Arrested and jailed for aggravated battery for attacking his pregnant fiancee with a deadly weapon.

– Arrested for violating probation.

– Detained for brandishing a handgun and threatening suicide, prompting authorities to check him in to a mental institution.

– Did jail time for again violating probation related to the battery charges, when he was arrested for choking his fiancee. His six-month old son was present at the scene.

20 years ago he was a mentally unstable lunatic.

10 years ago he was doing color commentary for a Miami game where a huge brawl broke out and was more fired up than some of the fighters saying “I feel like taking the elevator down to the field and getting involved myself!” and “You don’t come into our house talking smack!”. To me that indicates how little he learned and grew as a person over a decade. I’m skeptical, at best, that this will end well. I really, really want it to, but I don’t know that it will.

8. Duuuuuude
    4:20 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I echo the concerns, but I trust Stoops, and this teams really needs an injection of some spirit and attitude. I hope this guy can direct his bravado onto the team and on the field.