Kentucky ranked No. 73 in post-spring football rankings

Benny Snell set the USA Today’s College Football Preview on fire (literally) last summer when he learned his Wildcats earned a No. 71 overall ranking by the publication.

He might want to get that lighter out again.

In a post-spring ranking of every college football team, USA Today writer Paul Myerberg has the Cats at No. 73 this year, down two spots from the official preseason ranking last year.

The 73rd overall ranking lands Kentucky in the 12th place spot in the Southeastern Conference, ahead of only Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

See Myerberg’s rankings for each SEC team below:

76. Ole Miss
83. Vanderbilt

And here are three of UK’s 2018 non-conference opponents:

37. Louisville
64. Middle Tennessee
107. Central Michigan

You know what to do, Benny.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Kentucky ranked No. 73 in post-spring football rankings

1. PillsburyThrowboy
    2:29 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I see the media is jumping on the South Carolina train again. Also, something else you don’t hear often, according to this ranking, Tennessee is the 3rd best team in their state.

• For real! I didn’t get the SC love last year, and I was proven right (even though I guess they improved a little bit at the end). A lot of “experts” said they would challenge UGA last year, and I said nope, and it was “Nope!”. We silenced their fans after 1 possession and they went home licking their wounds.

Now the same knuckleheads are saying it again, even though Coach Boom has done diddly as a HC. Great DC, but yet to prove anything as a HC. Maybe they will break out this year, but we’ll see.

2. henderblue
    2:36 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

Bulletin board material, right?

3. ClutchCargo
    2:54 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I think we are all used to seeing UK ranked really low in these rankings, so no big surprise there. But that also looks like a bunch of not so scary conference opponents to me.

4. Alex90
    2:55 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

We have a new QB so you can’t really argue until we see what we’ve git there. If we just had Johnson back I would think we would be significantly higher.

5. ukcats1776.90
    2:59 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

geez, that’s very low

6. mothandras
    3:15 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I like how everyone expects us to turn the football program around and have a top 50 recruiting class. It took us decades to dig the rut we are in, its going to take decades to dig us out. Recruiting against other SEC schools doesn’t make it any easier, or the fact we are a Basketball school. Top 75 recruiting classes, and 6/7 wins a season for the foreseeable future.

• krautdog
      4:02 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been following UK football for over 50 years & we’ve only had a few teams worthy of a higher ranking. You’re spot on-as long as we’re in the SEC, face it ” it is, what is & what it will be”!

7. callitlikeiseeit
    3:34 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I think this is in large part due to the QB situation. We really don’t know what that position will produce, scary thought for an SEC team. If we get bad play there we are not even a top 73 team, we get good play there we can do big things.

8. KYboy
    3:58 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

Who cares about what these people think…….these are also the people that said Matt Elam was a elite player.

• jaws2
      4:10 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

He was. In high school.

• DennyC
      10:22 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

STOOOOOOPS YEAR FIVE????? ?????????????

9. TheMaxCat
    4:28 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

I believe its due to us having an unproven qb situation and simply being Kentucky. I love our OLine and also believe our secondary will be much improved with Hood now working with a deep and experienced unit and having a decent rush from Allen, Paschal, Jones, etc. A couple sidebars to watch are the NFL LB coach and his impact and the return of Baker/the Iowa transfer and how they might impact the receiving corp. They could really enhance the production of our TE, Bowden and others. We have a lot of pro prospects and if things fall into place I really look for us to compete with everyone. And yes, I’m an optimist, its healthier!

10. Did anyone expect any different?

“Second verse, same as the first…”

11. MadHatter
    5:54 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

And the South Carolina love fest continues…

12. Luether
    8:38 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

73 is about right – until we prove on-the-field otherwise…

13. DennyC
    10:26 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

STOOOOOPS YEAR FIVE??? ?????????? #GiveHimAnotherRaise!!!!!

14. DrSayre
    11:00 pm May 7, 2018 Permalink

Louisville feels too high to me. I dont know much about them, but I feel like last season they wouldnt have been good at all if they didnt have Lamar. I think theres a chance UK and U of L plays at the end of the season with both teams at 5-6 with the winner going to a bowl game.

15. Megan
    9:49 am May 8, 2018 Permalink

We’re 73! We’re 73!

We’re 73, but we try harder.