Kentucky ranked No. 18 in PFF preseason top 25

The Kentucky football program is used to having plenty of bulletin board material going into each season. This offseason alone, despite coming off a 10-3 season and a Citrus Bowl victory over Penn State, we’ve seen the media predict the Wildcats to finish sixth in the SEC East, they received zero votes in the first AP poll, and they were even ranked below Toledo in USA Today’s recent “re-rank” of all 130 college football teams, among other slights.

Now, however, Kentucky finally got some praise from a prominent national media outlet.

Pro Football Focus recently released their preseason top 25 rankings, with your beloved Wildcats coming in at No. 18 overall, good for No. 9 in the conference and No. 4 in the SEC East.

18. Kentucky

Rounding out the SEC representation is Kentucky, who hopes to build off their impressive 2018 campaign. Terry Wilson ran well in 2018 with 6.2 yards per carry (3.8 after contact). Improvement in his passing touch downfield would do wonders for this offense. Key to that is Lynn Bowden Jr., who forced 18 missed tackles while averaging 7.7 yards after contact per reception. Depending on price, as it is shaded at 6.5 wins, we give Kentucky almost a 73% chance of going over.

Here is the entire top 25:

20. Utah
  21. Wisconsin
  22. North Carolina State
  23. Syracuse
  24. Michigan State
  25. Miami (FL)

What do you guys think? Fair?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

23 Comments for Kentucky ranked No. 18 in PFF preseason top 25

1. MtnCat
    11:13 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

…fair considering no other ranking even gave them a sniff, but I’m here to tell ya that is low. These Cats are talented and hungry for recognition. Add the explosive elements that everyone is over looking, the finest collection of linemen both sides of the ball that Lexington has seen in a generation, high team character, and leadership that knows how to win. Tee it up and bring it!

• runningunnin.454
      12:03 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Good point about the linemen; no.4 in the SEC East is definitely too low.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      12:23 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Very fair given we lost 2 of our best ever. However, outside of that and our secondary I do think we have new troops coming in just as good. The jury is out on the others. I do think we will beat Mizzu and move up the stack. Let’s be real, we will be very similar to the same team as last year – our front 7 on defense is very solid – maybe no Josh Allen but maybe. Secondary is really a big question mark. Offensively, line is very solid one of the best in the SEC again. We have a very capable proven back. QB proven, Tight end solid, WR, TBD but I think we will be better. So with this said, our offense should be on par or better with our secondary I’m praying for a surprise. 18th and 4th in the East is fair given those scenarios.

2. Ross7035
    11:14 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

very fair. glad to see no south Carolina. still should be ahead of Mizzou but I will take it.

• Mathlete
      11:29 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

But this is finally South Carolina’s year (to fire Will Muschamp)!

3. Mathlete
    11:29 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

We can win 6.5 wins without beating anyone passably good (and losing a bad game). If sports betting is your thing, you already know to hammer that “over” bet and take the free money.

4. Smyrna_Cat
    11:32 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

All of these polls show one thing … that SEC football rules!

• Goose
      11:48 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

UK has a top 22 -23 recruiting class in the nation and 10th in the SEC…I think that’s all you need to know.

• mashburnfan1
      2:31 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Goose, we have been ranked like that the past few years but still beating those classes ranked ahead of us except for UGA and we came damn close to beating them 3 years ago. These rankings mean little, just like polls. All you need to know is Josh Allen was a 2 star and Matt Elam was a 4 or 5 star. This is one extreme example but also look how many running backs were ranked higher than Benny, I would not want any of them over him.

• Goose
      3:58 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Agree with all that…I could have worded it better but was just pointing out (like Smyrna) the power of the SEC….to finish 10th in the league in recruiting is a GREAT class….just unreal.

• mashburnfan1
      3:24 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Not bashing your comments just saying rankings {team and player} are a joke. I do agree with both of you the SEC rules in football.

• BLUEVADER
      4:43 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Yeah but the gap in talent has closed since Stoops been here and that is making a huge difference.

5. bbn606
    11:44 am August 22, 2019 Permalink

Auburn is probably too high. On the other hand, it’s great not to see Virginia Tech which is the most over ranked team ever.

6. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    12:31 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

With so much uncertainty in the secondary it seems high to me. It is possible, however, that a stout d-line makes up for any deficiencies in the defensive backfield. The absence of Snell could obviously be huge but I would expect Wilson to have gone up a notch or two in performance. Also, the running backs settling into the offense certainly seem talented in their own right. So basically that’s a really long way of saying I think the ranking is a bit generous but also who the heck really knows.

7. Cat4life23
    12:44 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

No way Missouri has deserved any respect to be ahead of us ?

8. east-ky-boy
    1:23 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s fair. But Missouri really? Why?

9. CombatMedic_98
    1:40 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

NO WAYYYY…18th. We beat FL & Penn State last year. Absolutely insulting. I hope we beat Georgia soo bad this year they don’t reschedule us for 4 years and Smart gets fired. Soo tired of the disrespect. It’s gonna be punishment for teams this year for last year that beat us.

10. JASUN74
    1:51 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

I’m in the, i think it’s a little low also class!! By looking at the teams ahead of us, I’d say 16 maybe even 15 would be a better place to put my Kentucky Wildcats!! And I certainly think we end between 10-15. Who honestly could know with college football how a season will play out. All the injuries and girlfriends dumping them before games!! Lol, All I know is , if the guys are as ready as I am, there’s going to be a lot of fireworks this year. Haha. Wooo Go Cats

11. Bluebloodtoo
    2:42 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s optimistic, but I’ll take it. That said, PFF was spot on all year last year and the NFL trusts their stats enough to use their service almost exclusively. Also, they don’t really get money by pandering to the fan bases as much as most media outlets do, so….

12. TimLH
    3:14 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

8 wins at most too many great teams on the schedule

• Soylentbeans
      4:36 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Outside of georgia and florida who on our schedule is great?

13. jaws2
    4:36 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

I really could care less right now. I’d just like to beat TN and FL again in my lifetime.

14. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    6:50 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

3 top 20 wins for UK on this list.