Kentucky ranked among worst in all of football in several statistics

Michael Hickey | Getty Images

Kentucky fans do not need numbers to illustrate how bad their football team is through two games in 2016. We have eyeballs and television sets to tell us it is bad. But let’s look at some of the numbers anyway because what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, or something like that. I’m sure there’s a good quote out there for that.

But here we go, Kentucky’s spot outside the top 100 in several of the game’s most important statistics…

DEFENSE

Rank School TOs/Game
122 Idaho 3.0
Temple 3.0
124 Kentucky 3.5
125 Mississippi State 4.0
126 Purdue 5.0

At this time I would like to remind you that there are only 128 schools in college football.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Kentucky ranked among worst in all of football in several statistics

1. kycats13
    3:08 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Alabama wouldn’t even want us to be their SCOUT team.
    They will probably play their JV team against us.

• Mathlete
      3:51 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

They’re jockeying for playoff position, they’ll leave their first team in until the 3rd quarter for practice drills and hang 90 on us

2. Jiminy Crickets
    3:13 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Mark Stoops : “were going to get better in certain areas, I can promise you that”.

Im hoping “certain areas” means ALL areas

3. The Real Weird Al
    3:21 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

#bbnbrohm

• Catsby80
      3:29 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

In all honesty, what makes you think he’d come here? He could literally go to just about any school he wanted to at this point. Why would he choose to come to UK? In all of the head coaches we’ve had, tell me one that has had success here and moved onto bigger and better things… At this point, Brohm coming to UK would be a step down and don’t even act like it wouldn’t be. WKU is clearly a better team than us at this point.

• theWilkman
      3:56 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Bear Bryant

• Catsby80
      3:57 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

In modern history.

• theWilkman
      3:57 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

And I don’t think going from $800,000/yr to easily over $2million would be considered a step down. WKU would beat us if we played right now, but UK is still a better overall program to be a coach at. That’s not debatable.

• Catsby80
      4:00 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

That’s not my point. Sure UK can afford to pay him more… But it would be career suicide for him. He could come to UK and likely fail and tarnish his name, or he could hold out and go to a traditional football school and be successful… Listen, I’m as die hard a UK fan as there is on this site, but I’ve come to the realization that we just cannot be competitive in football. Hell, when is the last time UK was better than .500 in the conference? Has it ever happened?

• theWilkman
      4:11 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

It’s happened, but not often I’ll grant you. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Unless you believe there’s a mystical curse that keeps us from being successful, there’s no logical reason why there can’t be success here. The fanbase craves it, the facilities are top-notch, and the administration is willing to pay up. Those 3 things could not be said in the not-so-distant pass. Is Stoops going to be the one to do it? It doesn’t appear so, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

• Catsby80
      4:25 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I certainly don’t believe in any mystical curses… But I do believe that we are the northernmost school in the conference, which generally hasn’t helped us in recruiting. In the past, our facilities simply haven’t stacked up, which also hasn’t helped our recruiting… I don’t know man, I’m just disappointed and I really hoped Stoops would be the guy. After the South Carolina game a few years ago when UK was 5-3 and looked like we had finally turned the page, reality set in and we reverted back to our awful tendencies, which have transpired yet again this year… I’m just an glutton for punishment I guess…

But until we start to show any semblance of success, it is going to be very difficult to attract already successful head coaches here. I feel like UK is a stepping stone school for coaches, which means we’re going to get a lot of first time head coaches. Just my two cents.

• theWilkman
      4:43 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

It definitely hasn’t helped in recruiting in the past, but Stoops has shown recruiting here is possible. Maybe not top 10 classes, but good enough to compete if coached up. And again, our facilities haven’t stacked up in the past but they more than make up for it now. I’m with you, I thought Stoops was the guy and have been very disappointed. I don’t think that means it isn’t possible though. It’s going to take the right coach, and that’s going to be easier said than done.

• The Real Weird Al
      4:57 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

So Catsby80 what is your solution? Fold the program? Hope that UK football miraculously becomes a destination job without trying?

I get that we are not going to steal Saban from Alabama. So we need to find an up and coming coach. He obviously has ties to the state, if not the school. He plays an up tempo style of offense that is fun to watch. And he has succeeded in the state, albeit not in the SEC.

Brohm gets an upgrade in pay for himself and his family on staff. He gets exposure. He gets facilities. And he gets a chance to try and win in the best football conference in the country. So, I get your point that UK has a lot of downsides. But there are a lot of positives for a competitive person looking to test their mettle.

This season is a train wreck. Maybe Stoops gets it back. But it does not look that way. So my point was, we should look to the future and I think Brohm could be a win-win.

#bbnbrohm

• stoopstroops
      5:10 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I’m with Catsby90. I don’t understand why he would want to come here for merely a raise. He wouldn’t win as many games, he would probably be in the national spotlight less, and would leave as soon as someone better called i.e. UofL. This guy should be on the short list for some of the best teams in the nation, lets not waste our time.

• Catsby80
      9:40 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I don’t really have a suggestion. It isn’t my job to have a suggestion. It’s the job of the guy getting paid a million bucks a year or so… If you want my honest opinion, I think we ride this Stoops thing out at least until next year. If he hasn’t made any progress at all (which I’ll admit I don’t think he will) then we explore our options. But I honestly think Brohm is a waste of time. I think he will be the next UofL coach when it is all said and done. I think if we had to go after another coach, I think we look elsewhere. I really liked the coach of Toledo last year, but I think he got a job with another “power 5” school… I guess we’ll see what happens over the next couple of weeks and go from there…

4. BluKudzu
    3:32 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Worst team ever

5. Duuuuuude
    3:43 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Our brand stinks.

6. ClutchCargo
    3:44 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Well, time to get busy scheduling the nonconference cupcake games next year. Just check the 1 or 2 teams below us in each category and see which one has availability.

7. BluKudzu
    3:45 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Just think if Bud and Z were part of a four man line, how much more effective they would have been. Both were underutilized in college but now both are doing well in the league.

8. smcfay1
    4:01 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Art Briles watch

• Mathlete
      4:07 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Not in a million years. If Barnhart wouldn’t hire a noted philanderer in Petrino, he definitely won’t hire a guy who helped cover up a rape by one of his players.

Look in the MAC, MWC, and C-USA for more likely candidates if you’re playing fantasy coaching search.

• theWilkman
      4:12 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Zero chance

• cats paw
      4:31 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

we can always tell recruits that we lose on high moral ground!

• theWilkman
      4:44 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

cats paw we all know you’re a half-wit, but even you can’t think Art Briles deserves a job at a high school after the rape cover up.

• stoopstroops
      5:19 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

The day they hire art briles is the day i stop being a fan. I hope it never comes to that but I hold this state and University as a whole to a higher standard than that.

• cats paw
      5:49 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

wilkman—you support a school that is ranked #4 in the nation in criminal activity and had the #1 ranked cheatingest basketball coach in college sports!! calling others half-wit because i’ve been proven right about things you dont wish to acknowledge is on you ole pal

• UK Big Board Update
      6:16 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

#GOCATS , right, ol’ cats paw?? F***ing idiot.

cats paw July 5, 2016 at 2:31 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      let me spell it out for you big board.. google the cheatingest college coach in America and your search results will show coach CAL!!! but thats cool isnt it, since he’s a winner! you just hate the fact that i told you 4 yrs ago exactly what would happen with this hire and i was exactly right, as always!
      ^
      ^
      (he’s always right, LMFAO)
      v
      v
      v
      cats paw August 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
      Where do you see this improvement? I think they have had two practices thus far and played zero games! Could it just be in the homers heads? I predict SC by at least 23 points. We shall see who is right!

cats paw November 17, 2015 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      but ill help you all out here for future knowledge. if Duke plays us again, pick Duke! they will not miss that many 3’s again. Hate all u wish but i can fill this thread full of my predictions that are generally 100% on! and thats why i get under your skin so much!!

cats paw July 5, 2016 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      The Sleaziest Coach in a Sleazy Game
      John Calipari and college basketball are a match made a few levels below heaven.
      there are the search results for you hypocrites….
      fyi, i hate the cards but if you want reality they will kill UK in football and also win in basketball this year.

cats paw February 27, 2016 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      It’s not like you worship a site that constantly calls other teams players 21 feet of suck or anything is it? U can suspect anything you wish but yes I played college baseball and basketball but regardless of that……I could shoot better than Brickscoe when I was in grade school and thats just facts!! I don’t suspect you would call me a coward to my face either but that’s another story also.

cats paw August 19, 2016 at 6:54 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      exactly mr bluegreen. cheerleaders like UKbigboard cant accept the fact that their hero was totally owned by big slow unathletic white guys! Cuz is a pure thug that makes Louisville players look like angels!!!

9. KentuckyFootballFan
    4:21 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

RELAX!! Its 2 games, the coaches will get it figured out!

• cats paw
      4:29 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

uhhh… its 3 YEARS and two games.

• stoopstroops
      5:22 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

It’s really not even been 2 games, more like a game and a half. If you are counting the 2 previous years as the same disappointment that last week was then you’re crazy. I’ve seen many of your posts cat paw and I hope that you are just trolling the sight because if you actually believe some of the stuff you type you need serious mental help!

• cats paw
      5:57 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

stooptroop- you support paying a guy $3.5 million to make a fanbase miserable. enough said

• UK Big Board Update
      6:08 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

cats paw wishes UK had his coach at Louisville, which doesn’t make any sense.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      10:16 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

cats paw is a miserable fan, no matter what happens he will always have something to complain about. LEARN HOW TO BE A FAN

10. Jiminy Crickets
    4:25 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

its been 3 1/2 years, and we realized the coaches wont figure it out. That’s why we cant “relax”

11. AllBall
    4:41 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

At least we are consistent. But in all honesty, things are worse than I figured based on the statistics. We are terrible on both sides of the ball. Like many have said, it all boils down to the D and O lines. I think we have some good skill players but you gotta have linemen.

• bbanks81
      4:59 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I have watched WKU twice and EKU once this year, and both of those teams have superior D Lines than that of the only SEC team in the same state……no excuse for that. I’m honestly just over it, we are horrible, and I have lost all hope anything will change in the next two years. I hope this staff can prove otherwise, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that will happen. We are staring down 8 straight seasons without a bowl…………are staring VERY hard! Maybe 2018 will be there year :/

12. secrick
    4:52 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I do think we are jinxed in football, i’m sorry but we have to be. Going to win at Fla. and time runs out and no call, there are bunches of them. JINXED, WHO THE HELL DID IT.

13. Jeremy D
    5:01 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

These numbers show the players have quit on their coach, and i think it actually happened after the Boom Williams fiasco of last year.

14. W1ldCats4Life
    9:27 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

So bringing the discussion back around to this article….even though many valid points were made.

Anyone notice our next opponent isn’t ANYWHERE below us on these listings????? Yet we’re favored by 19? Folks, I hope we blow them out, but don’t be surprised when we’re battling out for a win. This team has the ability to make any opponent look like world champs.

It shouldn’t be in question, but “by the numbers” we are statistically worse than our next 2 opponents in all the categories listed.