Kentucky picked fifth in the SEC East

Your University of Kentucky Wildcats were picked fifth in the East in the official SEC preseason poll put out by the media. The Cats edged out Tennessee and Vanderbilt, and somehow earned one first-place vote from someone.

Georgia is the overwhelming favorite to win the division:

SEC EAST
1. Georgia (271)
2. South Carolina (8)
3. Florida (4)
4. Missouri
5. Kentucky (1)
6. Tennessee (1)
7. Vanderbilt

Over in the West, Alabama took the top spot for like the millionth time in a row:

SEC WEST
1. Alabama (263)
2. Auburn (19)
3. Mississippi State (2)
4. Texas A&M
5. LSU
6. Ole Miss
7. Arkansas

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Kentucky picked fifth in the SEC East

1. jimmer
    10:31 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

The South Carolina love continues.

2. “Second verse, same as the first.”

3. macsauce13
    10:34 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

I bet we end up second. We’re ending the streak and continuing the streak.

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:36 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Did Kige Ramsey get a media vote?

5. ClutchCargo
    10:38 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

I would put South Carolina and/or Missouri below us. Otherwise, looks about right.

6. Parker_UKFanNC
    10:47 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

I’m sick and tired of this SC bullshivik. The chumps can’t beat us but they get placed two spots ahead???

7. KYcats11
    10:51 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Looks about right. I’m ok with Missouri being ahead of us because their QB and offense is extremely good. But as others have said, this South Carolina love is rediculous.

8. W F Reserve
    10:51 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

The East has been down for the past several years. It is past time to take advantage of this before Tennessee and Florida get back to their dominant levels. We have to quit leaving a couple of wins on the field every year – see Florida and Ole Miss games – because we get a lead and start playing too conservative. Got to develop a mentality that once we have these teams on the ropes, we are going to show them we are winning these games and not handing the ball off three times up the middle and running clock out. I would rather go down swinging in these games then have that same old feeling that I have had for 40 years.

• I hope the hiring of Dan Mullen hasn’t closed the door on our chances to end the streak. Hopefully they will struggle because of the usual adjustments to a new system, and we do play them early. I wish it was at home though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

I have to think that door is still cracked just a little for this season only. Too bad we didn’t kick that door in when we have had chances the past few seasons.

• No kidding man. Muschamp & McElwain (sp?) were both terrible and we failed to cash in. BTW, I know Mac won the east a couple times, but the east has been weak until UGA last year, which makes it more frustrating that we haven’t been able to at least beat the Gators a time or 2 and crack the top half.

9. shepdog3720
    10:54 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Win the ones you are supposed to and steal one or two and life is grand..sounds easy enough?

10. jimlowe7
    10:57 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

How about 2nd in East (5-1)

11. PillsburyThrowboy
    11:13 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

We have to go at least 4-2 in the first half of the season. If we can do that, then we will go to a bowl game. I am confident we will beat C. Mich, MTSU, Murray and Vandy. We will lose to UGA and A&M. Every other game is 50/50 for the most part and we just need 2 of them. TWO. Let’s get it done boys.

12. bradinmississippi
    11:16 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

We need to stop settling for 12th in the SEC in recruiting. We need to be able to at least beat the Mississippi schools in recruiting. Since 1992 when the SEC went to a divisional format Kentucky has NEVER had a winning SEC record. The last time we have had a winning record was in 1977. If we are going to continue to settle for less than mediocre football why do we pay our coaches like they are in New Years Eve bowls every year? Why spend so much money on a less than average product? If Mississippi State can be ranked number 1 why cant Kentucky?

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:23 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Changing a losing culture is neither easy, nor quick. First you have to change it internally, then you have to prove to people externally before recruiting will be on a level field. I feel like we’ve accomplished the first part mostly. The second part is what we need to do now.

• krautdog
      11:34 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Multi-million$ bottom feeding coach!

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

I get what you’re saying, and I feel the same way. But the reality is this is not exactly a football job that coaches are lining up for. Sure, you can try to throw money at them, but the elite coaches want to get paid and win without having to drag a perennial bottom-feeder program along. I’m sure Cal didn’t leave Memphis for UK just for the money.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

If we don’t pay millions in the SEC (where EVERY other coach is making millions), then what kind of coach do you think we’ll get?

13. UKFootballYall
    11:55 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

This is the year we make all those biased prognosticators eat a big crap burger. We will beat both FL and UGA on the way to the championship game! Ive already booked my hotel in Atlanta for December 1st! Expect more y’all.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      12:31 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

UGA? Easy there, chief. It’s a little early to hit the meth.

• njCat
      12:35 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

All depends on how well the O-line and QB play. We really have no idea at this point.

14. BBNBRIAN
    12:46 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

Flip flop UK and UT in those standings. We play AT Knoxville this year, correct? That’s an “L”.

15. DrSayre
    1:02 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but based on how South Carolina finished the season last year, I think they may be legit this season. Had we played them any later in the season last year, we would have lost.

I think the SEC East is on it’s way back to where it was, which kinda scares me a little bit. Other than Vanderbilt, I think it’s going to be hard to get another win. Even if Tennessee is terrible this year, we play them in Knoxville. I can see that being a game for UT where they pull out all the stops to win and get some momentum for the new coach.

After last year, I thought Missouri could become another Vanderbilt in the SEC… but they have a QB that could be a 1st round pick. So that game will not be easy.

16. W1ldCats4Life
    1:29 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

I just hope Stoops doesn’t let the program tank back to where it was, and when Mitch finally makes the 2nd best coaching hire (Neal Brown) we will have enough to go after these teams. If he can do it in Troy, he can do it at UK. Same support at both places….minimal.

• jaws2
      1:47 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

Doing it in the MAC is not doing it in the SEC. You seriously believe that would be the same?
      Come on man!!

17. BluKudzu
    1:46 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

4 out of 70+ positions. Maybe the yahtzee stuff is not really great recruiting, just job extending hype?
    5th is a gift if we do not have anyone else step up and play SEC caliber football.
    So is he a great recruiter?, great coach?
    Great hype?
    I hope this year is our year, Go Cats.

18. kydrummer
    3:40 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

I love it! It should be motivation for these guys to work and play harder!

19. Jiminy Crickets
    5:57 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

We have 4 guys on our team that might get drafted. UGA has 4 guys on their defensive line that will get drafted. Regardless of how great people think stoops has done in recruiting, we have not closed the talent gap. From a pure talent perspective 4th or 5th in East is right, so we need to depend on coaching and game planning to move up…..jury is out to see if stoops can do this

• satcheluk
      5:51 am July 21, 2018 Permalink

You lost me at we haven’t closed the talent gap. Either you’re exaggerating for effect or you can’t see.

20. stevemotley
    10:32 pm July 20, 2018 Permalink

No way in hell South Carolina is better than us. People like to exclude the fact Stephen Johnson had a bum shoulder half the season.