Kentucky over Auburn becoming a very trendy upset pick

As we count down the hours until kickoff (only 50 to go), more and more experts are jumping on the Kentucky bandwagon. This morning, ESPN’s Harry Lyles picked Kentucky over Auburn as his upset of the week, citing the Cats’ experience and Bo Nix’s inconsistency.

“In a season that has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in so many ways, and with Kentucky having one of its most talented teams to open up a season in years, I’m going to roll the dice on an upset at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Bo Nix had a typical freshman season of ups and downs for Auburn last year, and I’m going to bank on him starting the season slow — while hoping Kentucky inches closer toward being a football school (kidding about the football school part).”

The SEC Network’s Matt Stinchcomb is also going with the Cats on the Plains.

“I’m putting Auburn on upset alert and I’m saying Kentucky vs. Auburn in the opener and I like the Wildcats over the Tigers. I think that is the game to point to…Kentucky and the momentum they’ve been able to develop year over year and the fact that they return so much of their team intact. They overachieved defensively a season ago. They get Terry Wilson back this year. He’s thought to be much improved at quarterback and they certainly developed an identity around that running game. They’ve done it ever since Benny Snell, they pivoted to a quarterback-centric run game a season ago, and now they can introduce more of a passing element. I think the Wildcats are going to be really dangerous this year.”

I’m happy the program is finally getting some respect, but all of this attention is kind of making me nervous. Go back to sleeping on us. We need to keep that chip on our shoulder sharp.

[ESPN]

9 Comments for Kentucky over Auburn becoming a very trendy upset pick

1. UK_fac_boi
    10:39 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Lord, please let us win.

2. cats646
    10:55 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

It’s happening. We will go down there and beat them!!!! GO CATS!!

3. BowdenQB4ever
    10:59 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

We typically don’t look great in opening games under CMS, even against MAC schools. Really hope the fan base doesn’t get their hopes up. What scares me is if they lose to auburn, the next two are must win. Both Kiffin and Leach will be aggressive, and stoops tendency to be ultra conservative could lead to upsets. With this schedule, we won’t get off the mat from a 1-2, 0-3 start.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      11:47 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

This is my main concern as well. Not so much worried about the talent discrepancy on the field but the coaching discrepancy. I love CMS btw, but the offense hasn’t exactly been stellar over the last few years.

• highway119
      12:03 pm September 24, 2020 Permalink

PCF, I’m at a loss here. Are you talking about the offense that has led the SEC in rushing the last two years? Maybe your talking about the one who lost 2 QB’s to transferring, 2 to injury, and still won 8 games with a WR at QB. If not, you must be talking about the offense that has had at least one 1,000 yd rusher since Boom Williams and Benny Snell both did it in 2016. Tell you what, find a big arm and sling it around the yard and go 4-8 most years. I’ll take this “less-than-stellar” offense and go win Bowl games.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:35 pm September 24, 2020 Permalink

Good point highway, but as I said on another thread, Auburn ain’t Clemson, but they ain’t Vandy either. I believe their defense will be stout even with the talent they lost. Kevin Steele is doing a great job with their D.

Having said that, my bigger concern is out D keeping up with their no-huddle. We’ll see!

4. 4burgoo
    11:22 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Upset? It doesn’t seem like an upset to me, despite the line in Vegas. We should win. Period.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:32 pm September 24, 2020 Permalink

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!