Kentucky now a 6.5-point favorite against Southern Miss

maxresdefault

Kentucky’s season-opener vs. Southern Miss is only 12 days away, and after opening as a 7.5-point favorite over the Golden Eagles earlier this summer, the Cats are now a 6.5-point favorite. When you consider that Southern Miss quarterback Nick Mullens has a been a fixture on the preseason award watch list circuit and Kentucky’s been dealt a bad blow by losing Regie Meant and Darius West for the season, the movement makes sense.

Here are some other lines for Week 1 from Vegas Insider (all times Eastern):

• #20 USC vs. #1 Alabama (-10.5), 8 PM, ABC
  • #2 Clemson (-7) at Auburn, 9 PM, ESPN

Sunday, September 4

• #10 Notre Dame (-3.5) at Texas, 7:30 PM, ABC

Monday, September 5

• #11 Ole Miss vs. #4 Florida State (-4.5), 8 PM, ESPN

Is 6.5 points a fair spread for UK vs. Southern Miss?

16 Comments for Kentucky now a 6.5-point favorite against Southern Miss

1. david8577
    12:36 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

I was expecting a 6.5 the other way.

2. kjd
    12:48 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Based on S. Miss.’ last season, it should be more. I would say at least double.

3. scorpiocard
    1:45 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

The line moved because people are taking the points and the money is going on Southern Miss Mrs. TT, the same reason all lines move. I doubt the loss of the players had much to do with it.

4. BlueGrass
    2:15 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

I agree with David, I’d take S Miss all day with those points.

5. Howdy Doody
    2:29 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

It will not surprise me one bit to see Southern Miss pull off the upset. They are ranked far above us for a reason…
    I don’t gamble….BUT, if I did I would make bank on that play. Lose this one and the fans will be burning their season tickets, win this one by anything less than a TD and you will see a lot of folks squirming in their seats.
    I would not want to be a writer for KSR either way it goes down. Those predictions of lollipops and ice cream will leave a bitter taste…
    Blow S. Miss off the field and at least for week one all will be well.

• I agree with your overall sentiment that this is a must-win, but even if we do lose, this is not Eastern Kentucky we’re talking about.

• runningunnin.454
      7:20 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Howdy D is absolutely correct.
      By the way, Chris, I like that old logo; I have an old coffee mug with that on it; and it’s better than the Kansas State thing we have now.

6. Mathlete
    3:00 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

For all of our question marks about whether we’re SEC caliber, they’re replacing most of their team and wondering if they’re C-USA caliber right now. They were objectively the second best team in C-USA last year and most of that team is gone.

Plus, Shannon Dawson is their coordinator. Shannon “I’m a good coach when I have a good QB” Dawson should not be making you this nervous. We know exactly how good of a coach he is when he’s calling the plays (hint: he’ll run it up the middle on 3rd and long with almost no time left because it’ll be really cool the one time it ever works).

If their offense puts up 350 yards, frankly I’ll be disappointed. I’m not sweating game #1. The team can’t look past them, but the fans can. Look at the Florida game and daydream of finally winning one in the swamp.

• RealCatsFan
      3:21 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

“We know exactly how good of a coach he is when he’s calling the plays (hint: he’ll run it up the middle on 3rd and long with almost no time left because it’ll be really cool the one time it ever works).”

The thing that worries me is that with our D-line and linebacker issues, Southern Miss might have quite a bit of success doing just that – running it straight up the middle. If they have a mobile, running QB, we may be screwed.

• theWilkman
      5:06 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Their defense is terrible – look back at Freddie’s posts regarding the yards and points given up in their losses last year- this version of that team is even worse. We should score at will against them, forcing them to abandon the running game and nullifying our biggest weakness.

7. It sounds like, if we pull this game out, we’ll all be breathing a huge sigh of relief as opposed to celebrating.

• RealCatsFan
      3:44 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Yep, pretty much. You are correct that this team is much better than EKU, but it will have the same post-game feeling if we pull it out in a close contest. The only way I see the team walking away from this one with positive vibes is if they win by at least a couple TD’s. Absolutely horrible scheduling for the opening game.

8. RealCatsFan
    3:46 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

The Louisville game has the biggest spread of all games listed. Yes, Louisville has a good team this year, but UNC Charlotte must be absolutely horrendous.

• Mathlete
      3:56 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t we torch Charlotte by like 50 points last year? Yeah, they’re probably pretty bad.

• RealCatsFan
      4:13 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Ha! Might have been – memory gets short when your time on earth gets long. 🙂

We should have scheduled them again this year.

• Rsn2GoBlu