With the Big Ten and Pac-12 not playing this fall, national media outlets are shuffling their preseason rankings. This morning, Chip Patterson revised the CBS Sports 130 ranking of all 130 FBS teams to the CBS Sports 76. Kentucky is No. 21, one of seven SEC teams in the top 25.
Clemson is No. 1, followed by Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Florida. Here’s where all of UK’s 2020 opponents rank in the 76:
- Auburn: No. 8 (Sept. 26, Away)
- Ole Miss: No. 30 (Oct. 3, Home)
- Mississippi State: No. 32 (Oct. 10, Home)
- Tennessee: No. 16 (Oct. 17, Away)
- Georgia: No. 4 (Oct. 24, Home)
- Missouri: No. 34 (Oct. 31, Away)
- Nov. 7: BYE
- Vanderbilt: No. 62 (Nov. 14, Home)
- Alabama: No. 2 (Nov. 21, Away)
- Florida: No. 5 (Nov. 28, Away)
- South Carolina: No. 41 (Dec. 5, Home)
Kentucky is one of ten teams that jumped into the Top 25 after the conference cancellations, which earned them a little writeup from Patterson, who likes the Cats’ chances this year.
“A year where everyone’s schedule and routine is thrown out of whack shapes up perfectly for a Kentucky program that has perfected the art of finding ways to win in an unforeseen circumstances. Lynn Bowden may be gone, but the grittiness and willingness to evolve through quarterback attrition remains, all capable thanks to an under-appreciated commitment and level of success at the line of scrimmage. We’re not picking Kentucky to beat every opponent on its schedule, but it’ll take down a couple of good ones thanks to its ability to make adjustments on the fly.”
I like it. In fact, the only thing I don’t like about these rankings is Louisville being two spots ahead of Kentucky at No. 19. I know their schedule is mostly a cakewalk, but come on.