Kentucky Football Week Five Bowl Projections

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

The Kentucky Wildcats are one win away from becoming bowl eligible.  That feels weird to type on October 1.

At 5-0, I don’t have to tell you what could potentially happen in the second half of the 2018 season.  It could be absolutely incredible.  A New Year’s trip to Florida isn’t just a pipe dream, it’s a realistic possibility.  Don’t believe me?  Here’s where the experts believe the Cats will go bowling.

ESPN: Outback Bowl vs. Wisconsin or Michigan State

CBS Sports: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Michigan

SB Nation: Citrus Bowl vs. Wisconsin

247 Sports: Outback Bowl vs. Michigan State

Brett McMurphy: Peach Bowl vs. Penn State

Those would all be nice, but those “experts” aren’t dreaming big enough.  The Peach Bowl and the Sugar Bowl are real possibilities.  One ESPN predictor currently has West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl.  Please Football Gods, bring Appalachia to Bourbon Street for New Year’s Eve. Please.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

17 Comments for Kentucky Football Week Five Bowl Projections

1. justafish2002
    11:03 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

The Athletic (Stewart Mandel) has us in the Peach Bowl: https://theathletic.com/559752/2018/10/01/college-football-october-storylines/

• az1006
      11:06 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Beat me to it. A matchup with Notre Dame in the Peach Bowl…Dare I say, juicy?

• runningunnin.454
      12:34 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

Agree, would love to play ND.

2. mgwolfe
    11:16 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m still gun shy. We have 3 road games in the SEC and a trip to loserville which always seems tough regardless of how good either team happens to be at the time. My expectations are still tempered at the moment. Win and A&M and Missouri then my expectations will significantly increase.

• BigBlueMeade
      1:10 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

I am 95% in on Sugar Bowl or at worst Citrus Bowl. Win at TAMU and there is no telling where my expectations will go

3. mgwolfe
    11:23 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Essentially if they can get to Georgia undefeated anything is possible and I will be all in at that point.

4. TreyTingle
    11:27 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

These bowl predications are nice but it never shakes out this way by end of year. Take care of business against A&M and UK is bowl eligible in October which was on no one’s radar before the season started. Go Cats!!

• RackEmWillie
      11:40 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I was honestly thinking that they would be looking for bowl eligibility at Tennessee or against MTSU.

5. Alex90
    11:34 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Georgia has a 4 game stretch of LSU, Florida, UK and Auburn so UK’s path seems to be easier if they can just get past A&M

• E11Q
      11:44 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Agreed, I think the most likely way UK gets to an SEC Championship is to run the table until the UGA game, lose that game, then UGA gets beat by LSU and Auburn and we sneak in the back door! I think we are entirely capable of beating UGA, but I also understand how hard it is to go undefeated in the SEC, no matter how down the East is.

6. E11Q
    11:42 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

As much as I’d love to see us in the Sugar Bowl, and I do believe we are honestly capable of getting there, I’m still tempering my expectation. The last two Saturday’s have proven this team is capable of beating good teams at home when we have as good, or better athletes than they do (not something UK has had historically). Now it’s time to prove that we can beat a good team on the road!

I’ve not seen A&M play so I’m not sure how we match up from an athleticism standpoint (although I’m optimistic). I’ll defer to other commenters on that and trust their judgment. My big concern is our passing game. I think the second half of the Scar game proved that we can’t just always rely on breaking multiple big gains off handing the ball to Benny. We are going to have to hit some shots in the medium and long range passing game to keep A&M honest. Scar just stacked 8 in the box the whole second half.

I kinda just felt like Gran believed 24 points would be more than enough to win and just wanted to ensure we didn’t turn the ball over in bad spots. I understand the shift in play calling there. For the most part, outside of one fluke play which would have been a pick if our safety didn’t mistime his jump, Scar couldn’t move the ball to save their lives! The defense was legit.

• CatsfaninFL
      12:05 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

Totally agreed.

• runningunnin.454
      12:31 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

We whipped the Gators on the road; looks like they’re not as bad as people thought after we beat them.

• E11Q
      1:17 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

Or Mississippi State just isn’t that good and they’re facing their former head coach who left that program for a reason (*cough* they were overrated to begin with *cough*)

• ukcamel
      3:00 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

Florida also whooped UT in Knoxville. It’s easy to dissect and marginalize every win. After we beat A&M they will be a 3-loss team, so that win won’t be impressive enough either, etc. etc.

However you slice it, we have won three tough games and dominated in each one. We haven’t gotten lucky. We have 4-5 tough games left and it’s not unreasonable to say that if we play the way we’ve played in the SEC so far, Georgia is the only one we “shouldn’t win.” That doesn’t mean the Vols or someone won’t pull a rabbit out of their hat, that’s college football. But our team our should be playing with a high level of confidence (cf. cockiness). We are good enough, at least this year, with a few generational talents on the team, to compete for the SEC.

7. ClutchCargo
    2:21 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

How are we going to play in one of those bowls and the College Football Playoff? Dream BIG, people!

• SuperTroy18