Kentucky Football Remains United in a Divided Country

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

As a polarized nation chooses sides, the Kentucky football program stood together as one Friday afternoon. Dozens of players and coaches joined Mark Stoops to march through downtown Lexington to the Fayette County Courthouse to protest racial injustice everywhere.

“This is a time where I feel like the team is united. We’re all fighting for the same cause,” said Josh Paschal. “I know that every single one of my teammates, no matter the color of their skin, they all have our backs, specifically the black players. We have the support of our white teammates and vice versa. We’re a brotherhood and we really showed that on Friday.”

Organized by director of player development and former team captain, Courtney Love, and Mark Stoops, it meant a lot for Paschal to see his head coach leading the way.

“Coach Stoops, he’s about everything that he says. He has our back through whatever and we know that for a fact. He showed it to the whole country on Friday. No matter what’s going on — no matter if it’s affecting him directly or if it’s affecting us — he makes sure that everyone feels like they are loved and they are supported. He’s really passionate about what he did on Friday and he showed us that and it makes us appreciate him even more.”

In addition to support from coaches, this wasn’t just a protest for black Kentucky football players. The white players, like Landon Young, stood by their side to speak out against injustices. As Landon told Josh, even though he would never truly understand what it’s like to be black in America, he was going to fight by his side no matter what.

“I personally knew that he had my back. That was never a doubt in my mind. Just to hear it and for him to be vocal about it, it means so much to know that he’s willing to use his platform to help us,” said Paschal.

At a time when chaos seems to consume our world, the young defensive lineman provided wisdom beyond his years by using football as a metaphor.

“I feel like football is the perfect example of how we should be. It’s everybody from all different types of backgrounds. You all come together to accomplish one goal and you do whatever it takes to do so. Your brothers next to you, no matter what they may look like, they’re going to sacrifice for you. I feel like that’s exactly what this whole movement is. It’s being willing to appreciate others and being willing to sacrifice for others. I feel like football is important in doing that. Football is a sport that brings people together. It brings unity and that’s what our country needs right now.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for Kentucky Football Remains United in a Divided Country

1. gasman01
    3:41 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Love what Coach Stoops has done with this program. Hang on to this staff, whatever it takes!!

2. Shark
    4:35 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Only thing divided is no one is allowed an opinion on race unless it’s a liberal view.
    Love how Gov says he will get health insurance for all blacks, wow, how is that divided. What about health care for Mexicans too or even whites. How about insurance for all. But he is a liberal so that sounds right.

• Marcschlupp
      7:22 am June 10, 2020 Permalink

Just because you publicly support a cause does not mean you dont care about other causes. If I say blue lives matter I’m not saying I dont care about white people. I have not heard the governor say he wants all white people to not have insurance. Supporting one cause in the public does not mean you do not care for anything else. If you have children and one of them loves pizza and the other loves tacos and you have pizza night at your house, does that mean you dont care about your kid who loves tacos? You can have pizza night and taco night but they may not be the same night. It does not mean you love one kids more one day and the other kids more the other day.

3. stratblend
    4:58 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

^^ Looks like we found the racist.

• Shark
      6:44 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

How is that racist wanting insurance for everyone? The governor said he wanted insurance for all blacks in ky, what about other s who don’t. Your Gov picked one race above others, not me.

Like I said, I one is allowed an opinion unless it’s the talking points opinion from liberals.

4. mcp157
    5:56 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

No special rights for anyone. That’s equality. Just because previous generations of a race were terribly treated by another race doesn’t mean the current people from the mistreating race owe anything to the current people of that mistreated race. White people get gunned down by police, too. It’s just not a hot button for the media. Racism is a two way street. As Morgan Freeman said to Mike Wallace many years ago, “ I’ll stop looking at you like a white man if you stop looking at me like a black man.” He also said he was not in favor of Black History Month, he did not want his race’s history relegated to one month.

5. Bluehender
    7:21 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky football may be the only thing in this country that’s United. The problem is no one wants to unite in this country. Therefore this country as we’ve known it, is doomed. Unless people decide that they can go a little left of right and a little right of left, this country will continue to plunge..WAKE UP AMERICA

6. friendsofcoal
    7:46 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

How’s the teachers pension doing?

7. panicpat
    8:57 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Hahahahaha. Nice post friends of coal

8. gasman01
    9:00 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Glad my retirement doesn’t come from the state….

9. T-Town Cat
    10:16 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Black Lives Matter vandalized the 54th Regiment Memorial in Boston Sunday. This is (was) a fabulous statue dedicated to African-American soldiers who fought for the Union in the Civil War.

10. UKfanforlife
    10:12 am June 10, 2020 Permalink

There is only one race, the human race. There are no other subsets. Judging the many for the actions of the few is exactly what people claim to be protesting against in the first place. I fully support the human race. Be nice and be kind to others. It doesn’t cost anything to do so

Go Cats!

11. Marcschlupp
    3:10 pm June 10, 2020 Permalink

A lot of stuff like that also comes from people dressing as they are supporting a cause but really they are on the opposite side and there to make things look bad. I dont know about this situation but I know I can throw a t shirt on and go break windows and say it’s for black lives matter or blue lives matter when my only agenda is to make those causes look bad. Things are not always how they appear in a picture. There are not a lot of causes where people commit a crime to support. Maybe abortion when someone will blow up a building but for the most part it’s people using a cause as an excuse to commit a crime and not really people who support a cause.