Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Kentucky Football Players Recount Apartment Fire


As the basketball team’s Bahamas tour winds down and the countdown to football season dips under 2 weeks, it appears we have withstood another grueling summer without Kentucky sports and are now on the pinnacle of the 2014-15 athletic season. These next few weeks for the football Cats start the long grind towards earning their first postseason berth since 2010, but for 4 Kentucky football players the grind began in early June when their apartment complex caught fire while senior DB Nate Willis was at home cooking and the other 3 players (Melvin Lewis, Mike Douglas, and Javess Blue) were training at the Nutter Training Facility.

Jon Hale at 247Sports wrote about the ordeal including how the coaches and school helped the players get through the tough days and weeks following the accident. 


“It was devastating, because unfortunately we lost everything,” Lewis said.

NCAA rules allowed UK to help the players replace some of their clothing and other belongings. An insurance policy helped them buy furniture for a new apartment.

But for a few days the teammates were sent to a hotel, uncertain of what the future held for them.


It was certainly a devastating experience for the 4 players involved, all 4 of which are a pretty good bet to contribute significantly this year on the field. Here’s to hoping the postseason ends much better for these guys than the preseason started. 

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

11 Comments for Kentucky Football Players Recount Apartment Fire

  1. Robert "Morris" Knight
    6:02 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    Maybe someone should have told the idiots to take the couch outside before catching it on fire?

  2. Moore Head
    6:22 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    That might be good advice, along with ‘axing’ prrRRRick Pitino to keep his ‘Johnson’ indoor and away from Italian eateries and the loose HOES that abound on greasy cheesy table spoon restaurants.

  3. X. Wife 'O'Bob loser night
    7:01 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink


    from verbally

    and physically

    beating IU basketball players, l

    ike you did, along with smacking me,

    and throwing chairs on the court……..

    which is tantamount to taking a dump

    on a church altar….



    7:04 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    The two moronic responses above show that they have no clue as to what it is like to be involved in a fire – whether it be at home, work, or wherever. Serious harm could have been inflicted on these players but luckily that was not the case. Possessions and such can be replaced and fortunately the NCAA isn’t too stupid about that. The cause of the fire I do not know but come on folks – show some class in your response to this situation. The first two did not.

      7:05 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

      Make that the first three responses before mine.

    • Eric
      8:07 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

      Agreed. In the article, it said that the fire was most likely started by a lit cigarette in the apartment below them. Its a bummer for the guys, especially because it wasnt their faults, but at least none of them were hurt.

  5. CatsBalls
    7:33 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    Now if they could only do something about the dumpster fire in the football program.

  6. Balls McGee
    7:43 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    Matt took pictures of the players as they showered.

  7. William
    7:49 pm August 17, 2014 Permalink

    “withstood another grueling summer without Kentucky sports”? Ummm we had Kentucky basketball this summer didn’t we?????? Hello planet earth, the Bahamas just happened we were awesome!!!

  8. Tej
    8:29 am August 18, 2014 Permalink

    Pitiful that some people try to make a joke of what was an unfortunate and potentially dangerous situation. The attempts at humor are neither successful nor appropriate.