Kentucky Football Is Up To 18th

Image Via Kentucky.247.com

Image Via Kentucky.247.com

Image Via Kentucky.247.com

Friday night Kentucky played some Yhatzee with the commitments of 4-star Safety Marcus Walker and a commitment from 3-star Kei Beckham. Walker became the Cat’s fourth four star commit in the 2015 class and helped launch the Cats back into 247sports.com’s top 20.

The Cats rank 9th in the SEC behind Alabama, A&M, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State (25 commits), Georgia, and LSU. Clearly the Cats are closing the talent gap with some of these teams and bringing in multiple 18th ranked classes will have the Cats much more competitive than multiple 50th ranked classes. Stoops and the staff continue to dominate recruiting like we have never seen in Lexington.

Do you think Kentucky will end this year with their third straight highest finish ever?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

25 Comments for Kentucky Football Is Up To 18th

1. Coach Jamin
    3:09 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Good question. I think, though we aren’t there yet, we get to a point where hype MUST turn into results. So far recruiting success has been based on hard work and the promise of what could be. Last year was a free pass on the field. This year, I believe we must win 4 to 5 games with at least 1 of those coming in SEC play in order to keep convincing those highly touted recruits to keep coming to Lexington. Next year, It’s 7-8 wins or bust. I believe we finish with a top 20 class again this year and IF we see results on the field then we could move into that top 10-15 class haul next year. Everything, from this point on is dependent upon results on the field I believe. Go Stoops! Go Cats!

• JoeWalsh
      4:04 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Yes sir, well stated!

2. uk 78
    3:16 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it any better

3. Rei
    4:05 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think 7-8 wins next year is the make it or break it case for these kids. Now the year after that, yes. This year we’ll be lucky to go 5-7, next year I’m hoping for 7-5 or better like what was mentioned but 6-6 is more likely. Sadly football takes longer to build than basketball.

• JoeWalsh
      4:45 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

#1 is saying 4-5 wins this year and 7-8 next year.

• Coach Jamin
      6:01 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Exactly what I meant JoeWalsh

4. BS
    4:49 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

I don’t like the word “hype” It’s a let down if we don’t win 5-6 games this year? Amazing. This isn’t basketball. You don’t pull in 2 good recruits and all of a sudden you’re looking good. Please be reminded how truly, truly bad Joker left things. Our TALENT is young to boot. I’m telling you, Saban couldn’t turn it around in 2 seasons working with youth

• Coach Jamin
      6:03 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

I actually said 4-5 wins this coming season with at least 1 win in the SEC to keep the train in recruiting rolling. I fully expect 7 to 8 wins next year, as in the 2015 season with 3 to 4 of those wins coming in SEC play.

5. Sandra
    5:11 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

The bottom line is Stoops & Co. must start winning SEC games, at least a couple. No more excuses from Stoops apologists and fans with loser expectations. Only losers are happy with expectations of a 4-8 or 5-7 season. Have some self-respect people.

• Hula
      8:54 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Joker? Is that you?

6. Jim 1
    5:57 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Slow down CAT fans, we’re getting ad little ahead of ourselves on the win/loss situation. This team is a total rebuild from a program that was totally gutted by the past coaching staff. Four or five wins is possible but most unlikely. Six wins and a bowl bid could this program to go off like a rocket for the next recruiting class. But please let Stoops and this staff have time and the wins will come.

UT, SC, have 8 more commits and M.St.has 11 more at this time. If Stoops brings in certain commits this class could finish in the upper half of SEC in recruiting. Either way this class will be great if continues to grow. Stoops is building this program for success.

7. I'm confused
    6:16 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

#9 class in the SEC and we are “dominating recruiting”? I think what you mean is we are recruiting better than ever — calling it “dominating” is the epitome of overhyping.

8. NL
    7:30 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Its not going to matter, b/c 2016 will be better than 2013, 2014 or 2015. Lots of talent in state and positioned very well w/ out of state kids. 2016 may be a top 10 class nationally with several top 247 recruits

9. David
    9:51 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Coach Stoops has done a tremendous job closing the gap between Kentucky and the rest of the SEC teams. Now I see it as the time for the coaches to develop these players and win one or two SEC games this year. We have some big time play makers this year now if the defense can stop some drives by opposing team we stand a chance of upsetting some of the big dogs. I will be disappointed if we do not get 5 wins this year. I honestly think if we fill Avery spot this year that we could get 6 to 7 wins. Go Cats!!! Oh yeah we can beat Louisville this year.

• Redneck with Selective Memory
      10:28 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

So if Stoops only wins 4 games, you’ll be calling for his head, amirite?

• David
      11:37 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

No, I never said I would be calling for Stoops head, I think he is the best pick we could have gotten and now that he has been here I have seen that he has closed the gap of talent that existed between Kentucky and the other SEC teams. I stated above I would be dissatisfied if we do not get at least 5 wins, because I see a minimum of 5 games that we should win. If we do not win 5, it only proves my prediction ability is wrong not that coach Stoops is a bad coach. I still think we get a minimum of 5 wins and hoping for 6 to 7.

10. I'm a Dealer for the People
    10:13 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

I’m just really pleased with the direction Coach Stoops and his staff has moved our program since his arrival. Hopefully this year’s recruiting class will surpass last year’s and the same for future classes. Now it is time for the BBN to all pull together and give our team our full support. Lay off the negative posts, although trolls will always be trolls, show up for the Catwalks and be loud and proud at the games. Go Coach Stoops and staff and GO CATS.

11. bigcatstanding
    12:49 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

the problem with this is, yeah we’re in that top 20 recruiting in the country. But we’re still in the bottom third of our conference. so it sounds like no matter what kind of recruiting classes Kentucky lands. They will need to coach Them up every year, still falling short, as far as recruiting in our conference. I hope I’m wrong, meaning that maybe the 9 or 10 teams from the SEC that out recruitS Us this year, won’t be the same 10 next year lol.

• David
      2:04 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

We have closed the gap between us and the (other SEC teams) so the other SEC teams being ranked a little higher doesn’t mean they will beat us each and every game. We were use to getting 2 and 3 stars players and maybe a 4 star every now and then, now that it made it hard for us to compete each and every week. Times have changed and we are getting a more talented athletes and we have depth to go with it. If we keep recruiting like this and the coaches teach them up, we will compete each and every week with lots of upset’s coming in our favor. It is a big difference when averaging a recruiting class of around 64 to now in the top 20. Before it is all said and done Kentucky in the near future will be beating some of the best and going to some big time bowls.

12. bigcatstanding
    12:55 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

• David
      1:38 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

We were at 12 commitments before the 2 this weekend

13. bigcatstanding
    12:57 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

I just noticed that the number of recruits says 14, didn’t we just landed two more this past week that should put us at 5, 4 star recruits, and one more three star. I just caught a partial on that, but I believe one of the commitments, Was a past commit, that just re committed.

14. G
    11:07 am July 21, 2014 Permalink

Tennessee is still going to wallop you for another 20+ years. By mid-October you will all be asking when basketball season starts. Book it

• football school
      12:38 pm July 22, 2014 Permalink

Man, I HATE Tennessee!!! How you gonna go around wearing prison-riot-orange and say you look good? I guess they have the right colors considering how many of their players end up in that color outside of football. Gets ’em used to it. I was at the pre-game warm up near the field a few years ago when Tennessee was in town and I was yelling Go Cats and normal stuff like that (nothing obscene) that home field advantage gives you, and about three or four players turn around and flip up their middle fingers at me. Classy bunch there… I hate Tennessee more than that Alabama fan from a few years back hates Tennessee. I’m getting sick just typing their name so much. Go CATS!

15. UKFootball
    2:00 am July 22, 2014 Permalink

They should start having an instate competition during the off season. And whichever school ends up with the best recruiting class should get a trophy and title of “best recruiters in KY”.