Kentucky Football Fan Frustrations are Incredibly Short-Sighted

Kentucky fans have learned what it’s like to cheer for a major player in the college football landscape.

In less than a month the football fan base’s sentiment changed from, “just give us a shot to play Georgia for the SEC East,” to, “this is a frustrating disappointment.”  What changed?

After an overtime loss at Texas A&M exposed Kentucky’s offense, the Cats gutted through game-winning drives in the fourth quarter to beat Vanderbilt and Missouri.  Ranked No. 9 in the initial College Football Playoff rankings, Kentucky fans got a week to dream about the SEC Championship and a potential Playoff berth.

In the two weeks since, the Cats were outclassed by a superior Georgia team.  The emotional hangover lingered into Knoxville where UK suffered its worst loss of the season.

With two games to play, Kentucky is 7-3 and ranked 17th by the CFB Playoff committee.  Even though they finished SEC play with another loss at Neyland Stadium, UK’s 5-3 SEC record is the best in 41 years.   After listening to today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, I thought I was covering a Joker Phillips team, not a team that’s been in the Top 25 for eight straight weeks.

Nobody is happy after a loss.  That feeling is amplified after a loss to a rival.  You can be angry after a loss, but pleased with the team’s overall success; they aren’t mutually exclusive.  However, the critiques I’ve heard since Saturday have reached ridiculous new heights.

“The Offense has to Change”

Remember when Eddie Gran decided to change the offense before the Texas A&M game?  Facing a stout rush defense, UK’s offensive coordinator didn’t think the Cats could run it at Kyle Field.  When he put the game in Terry Wilson’s hands, he was crucified.  For two weeks the decision to not give the ball to Benny Snell was questioned by the Big Blue Nation.

After the Bye Week, Benny Snell got the ball.  The best running back to ever wear a Kentucky uniform rushed for 169 yards and the game-winning touchdown.  When SEC Inside published video of Snell’s final drive heroics, the BBN’s jaw-dropped in amazement.

Although an unforgettable game in the long-term, the Vanderbilt performance represents what this offense is and it’s biggest problem.

1.  Do you really wanna not give Benny Snell the ball?

The rushing game has undoubtedly struggled in recent games, but it’s been the cornerstone of Kentucky’s success over the last three years, thanks to Benny Snell.  With an excellent defense, Mark Stoops chose an offensive emphasis on ball control over taking risky shots on explosive plays.  If you disagree with Stoops, fine, but that also means Benny gets the ball less.  Do you really not want to feed 2-6? He is hungry.

2. A Slim Margin

Many fans were infuriated by some of the comments made by Mark Stoops and Eddie Gran since the Tennessee loss.  Demanding change, none of them realized the offense that has looked so terrible since the second half of the South Carolina game, actually looks the same.

Since that “dramatic” turning point for the offense, they’re still producing about the same number of yards.  UK’s offense just kills themselves once they get into scoring range (pre-snap penalties on third down, snaps over the QBs head, etc.).  What many would describe as the worst offensive performance in three years, Kentucky gained more yards against Missouri than they did in a 28-0 win over Mississippi State.  Alabama didn’t even score 28 points on Miss. State.

Opponent

Missouri

385

Georgia

310

Tennessee

262

Is it frustrating to watch this offense operate at times?  Of course.  But it was not a problem until Kentucky lost two games (the only two games UK’s defense gave up more than 20 points all season).

“We Missed a Rare Opportunity”

Kentucky played one game a for a chance to go to the SEC.  It’s the first time that has ever happened in the history of this school.  In the preseason that was a ridiculous notion.  Unfortunately, they ran into the defending SEC Champs and National Runners-Up.

The loss stunk, but there was still an opportunity to go to a New Year’s Six game with a 10-2 finish.  When that went out the window, well…here we are.

I wanted UK to play Alabama in the SEC Championship Game.  I also wanted John Wall to win a National Championship.  I wanted to go 40-0.

They lost.  It happens.  I was mad for a few days.  Now when I remember those teams, I don’t think about how I cried into a pillow after the Wisconsin game, I think about the time Willie killed a guy at Florida and at the Yum! Center.  I think about Boogie and Wall’s game-winners and the beautiful dance.  When I think about this year’s Kentucky football team, I will never forget a victorious My Old Kentucky Home at The Swamp, the dominance in the rain against Miss. State, the walk-off win at Missouri and the week of euphoria that followed.

There’s a difference between the two losses in 2018 and the basketball losses in ’15 and ’10: this football team still has two games to play.

A wise man once told me, “Never tell fans how to fan.”  I am breaking this rule for the 17 football players who changed the trajectory of this football team forever.  Before their final game at Kroger Field, instead of feeling the warm embrace of the Big Blue Nation, they are hearing they aren’t good enough.  That’s not fair.

Josh Allen, Benny Snell, Mike Edwards, Darius West, C.J. Conrad and many more took a chance on Kentucky when few others would.  They’ve given the Big Blue Nation unforgettable memories.  They won more SEC games than group before them.  They created a winning culture that will ensure they aren’t the last UK team to play for an SEC Championship.  The least they deserve is your support in the three finals games of a spectacular season.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

75 Comments for Kentucky Football Fan Frustrations are Incredibly Short-Sighted

1. Blueballz
    6:06 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

F off Nick

• mashburnfan1
      6:21 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick we had 300 yards and 28 points vs a darn good MSU defense. It all changed the 2nd half of the USC game. and my complaint is vs A&M Benny was getting 4.6 per carry so why not adjust and say hey, we can run on them. The UT game he planned on running and they had 8 defnders vs our 6 blockers, one would think hey lets do something different. Is Gran so stupid he can’t see this? Not that it matters, his deep passes are 10 yards and most of his pass play calls are 2 yards or less. The guy is horrible at calling games and/or adjusting to give the players a chance to make plays.

• BigBlue4Three
      6:23 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I’ll agree with that sentiment. Who the hell are you to tell me whether I should be frustrated? I watch sports for…ENTERTAINMENT. When the product placed on the field ceases to be entertaining, I have every right to be frustrated.

You are incredibly short sighted to think that fans should accept mediocre performance. The common denominator is that Stoops led teams ALWAYS fall apart in the second half of the season. We have a coaching staff that either can’t or won’t make adjustments. Whether it is the second half of a game or second half of the season, they have demonstrated over and over that nothing will change.

As for Gran, I am in the minority in that I don’t believe he is necessarily the problem. He had pretty impressive numbers at UC and ran a high power passing attack offense. I firmly believe he is following Stoops direction to play a ball control offense to minimize the amount of time the defense spends on the field. If you look back at prior OC’s they have all had offensive success after leaving UK. How can you argue that Neil Brown hasn’t had great success after leaving?

Hopefully the Cats can right the ship for the last 2 games, but I won’t be holding my breath that there are significant changes in the offense, at least not until Stoops butts out and lets his OC run the offense.

• BluejayK
      8:17 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

My frustration comes from wasting a once in a lifetime defense. I would bet you anything I will never see a dominant SEC caliber defense from the Cats in my lifetime again. Also one of the best backs we have ever had, and it hurts to watch the offense or lack there of piss this opportunity away.

• mashburnfan1
      6:42 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

And I should add our dismal numbers are against teams that don’t have a good defense. Mizzou, Vandy, Tenn, and to a lesser point UGA, have given up huge points to bad teams. But we struggle to get 7 points and are supposed to be top 10-15ish team.

• JASUN74
      8:16 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Lol. I’ve been waiting very, very patiently for thirty years To have a good team!!! You damn right I can be furious if I feel like we screw the pooch. Hey I’m happy as I could possibly be with my beloved wildcats, and the programs direction and director for that matter. You can look at other teams and this team anyway you want to in five years, but you better bet your butt that we will all, even you, remember how things played out. They’ve got us to a place, where I’m extremely proud to be now and will keep on, just like every other year supporting them. I’m at the point, just like a lot of great fans out there, that want to get over that hump. I knew what I was getting into when I became a KY fan and i will die a KY fan. But when the team I love, and invest my all into, lays an egg on the field, and it looks like they haven’t ever played football , Well, I’m allowed to be a little frustrated and have a discussion or two about it with my fellow KY Wildcat fans. If the Coaches are upset about us talking about what we all see on Saturdays , then maybe they shouldn’t be reading it after a bad loss. But everybody is right about it not being the end of the world. It’s just the end of what could have been a unbelievable season to a still good season so far. Anyway I love this group of kids as much as anybody and I want everyone of them to know they’ve mad me proud. We always have next year !!! Until we don’t!!!!

• JASUN74
      8:23 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Made me proud. Well they may have MAD me a little proud to. Lol. Go cats!!!!! and win out and start playing for a 2020 SEC Championship.

• JASUN74
      8:26 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

One more thing guys. Is it just me or have they been sucking the tit off this Tennessee game till it’s about to fall off. Hahaha. It’s like those Indiana fans are saying. “Romeo “!! “We’ve never seen anything like him””. Funny stuff

• UoKFB PHAN
      8:49 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

@ BigBlue4Three – I agree with your third paragraph. In all three of his seasons at UC Gran passed the ball more than he has at UK. The question now becomes is it an issue with not having a QB who can effectively pass the ball at the SEC level (yes, you can extend the question to do we have SEC caliber receivers) or is Stoops putting the breaks on the passing game.

I’m not ready to give up on Wilson, but there needs to be some major improvement next season in his passing skills – both throwing the ball, making quick reads and knowing when to throw it away – if the Cats expect to move forward.

2. KYCat4EVER
    6:10 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

“A wise man once told me, “Never tell fans how to fan.”
    If that man was wise, what does that make you, and your article? ?

3. nicky
    6:12 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

5 games in the teens or LESS….depending on a defense to win games for you diminishes as the season wears on…they get banged up and aren’t as stout/fresh as they were in the beginning

It’s like depending on a short game in golf to bail you out over and over…..doesn’t work over time…puts too much pressure on your short game

You gotta have offense (birdies)

• CatsandPats
      6:20 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

The single best reply I have ever read. Golf is my favorite sport. You definitely need a mic drop and a standing ovation after that one.

• nicky
      6:36 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Thanks C&P….yours is the best I’ve ever read as well 😉

• JASUN74
      8:31 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I to thought it was awesome Nicky. Until I saw your reply to his comment. You sir, just became immortal. Lmao. Good stuff.

• dcforuk
      9:36 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

If you can mentally defeat your golf opponent in match play, it does not matter if you get birdies if your bulldog approach contributes to nothing but pars, bogies and “others” from your match play opponent.

4. dmill4444
    6:17 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

This article is precisely the reason this program has been stuck in mediocre perpetuity for so many decades. We’ve got the best fans in the world when it comes to rationalizing complete collapses. They point to our past as a reason we should totally accept failure and bad results—it’s a toxic cycle and keeps us mediocre. Toxic low expectations like Nick’s will keep this program from ever being great.

• JASUN74
      8:38 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Can you say. “NAIL ON HEAD”!!!!! It’s ashame. I’m done with it. We’re not hating on the kids!! We want to be winners. And hell no im not changing teams. Lol. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, You’ve Got to believe to achieve. Now make it happen. We’re all behind you win or lose, we always have been. Just keep working hard and giving 100% on Saturdays, and we will be there to support you.

• UoKFB PHAN
      9:16 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

There are two games left on the schedule. Would you be happy with a 9 – 3 regular season; yes or no? No one knows the outcome of those two games yet but if the Cats do win them then they are making progress and you know you can’t argue against the facts – you can be frustrated with them but you can’t argue with them and be taken seriously. If they lose them both, or I would even go as far as saying split them, then your comment about being in a toxic cycle is much more reasonable.

NO, I’m not happy with the TN loss (or the UTAM loss) but I see progress and for that I am encouraged. Yes, this year has been the best opportunity the Cats have had in decades to really make some noise in the SEC and on the national front and I understand many of the fans being frustrated. This is just my take, let’s keep in mind where the Cats were a few years ago and let’s look at where we are at now. If the Cats plateau or decline then your comments and frustration are more than justified. BTW – I’m not a fan of most of what Nick publishes and I’m a little surprised some of my comments back to him weren’t blocked.

5. Cmart0907
    6:19 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

DONT TALK ABOUT IT!! BE ABOUT IT!! We all know the offense needs work. Less talking and fix the problem!! Get paid millions of dollars and can’t figure out how to fix it.

6. Theymademesignup
    6:25 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Shit article written by a shithead.

7. JTA
    6:28 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I knew who it was before reading the author just by the title of the article.

What a complete joke, and he’s supposed to be a ‘journalist’ and he can’t even SLIGHTLY speak any negative about completely legitimate concerns and gripes.

Twitter, the live blogs.

My guess he wants to get a shot like Maggard did and get in on the staff. Because of this he comes off as laughable.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    6:35 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Lets separate a few things here:
    1. frustration with The Football Program in the last few games. I feel this just like everyone else.
    2. Amazement at the success in the first half of the year. I think everyone has had this thought once or twice this season.
    3. Appreciation for the players who sacrificed and put in the work to get the program moving in the right direction.

Let’s focus on #2 and #3 for the remainder of the season. You can complain about #1 in the off-season where change is more likely to happen anyway.

9. davis2319
    6:36 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Short sighted? Lol this has been mounting since our offense disappeared in the 2nd half against South Carolina. We can’t even put up points against defenses who have been notoriously bad this season? Mizzou defense is not good (except again the run), Tennessee’s defense is atrocious and we made them look like Alabama, we didn’t score in the 2nd half against SC after dropping a 24 piece on them in the first half. I don’t think our frustration is unwarranted. What is it like 7 touchdowns since the 2nd half against SC? For example, if Kentucky basketball went 5 games in a row with 60 points or less everyone would be furious.

10. Adam
    6:38 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

We’re not telling the players “they aren’t good enough.” I’m telling Eddie Gran that the element of surprise isn’t a bad thing for an offense. The play-calling is timid and predictable. We’re not good enough to line up and execute, despite the other team knowing what’s coming. Bama could do that, but their coaches don’t do that, they mix it up and self-scout…because that’s what a staff should do!

We run the same play coming out of a timeout as we were set to run before the timeout! So frustrating!

It’s about as frustrating as Nick telling us we’re saying something we’re not. We love the team and their efforts! He’ll, I just think they deserve a better effort from the offensive coaching staff.

11. duner
    6:42 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Saw this on Twitter and I think it sums it up the best of anything I have said or read.

Is it possible that Kentucky fans can appreciate having a 9 win season and going above .500 in the SEC? Yes

Is it possible that Kentucky fans are extremely frustrated that our offensive problems cost us a shot at 10-11 wins and a shot at a New Years Six Bowl? Also Yes

• notFromhere
      6:55 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

There is a percentage of fans that can appreciate it. It’s a small % here at ksr

• Han
      7:44 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Also, until we start scoring again, all we’re guaranteed is a 7-win season. Which would be a huge letdown after the way this team started the season.

I know, it’s just 3 losses overall, and normally that’d be amazing. But when you show you can do much better and then begin to collapse late in the season like you have before, it’s concerning. While we’re better than we’ve usually been in the past, Stoops has created expectations with his success, same as Coach Cal. You tell us your goal is to get to the SEC championship, and we hear that and remember. You fell short this year, ok, but then you crap the bed the week after while telling us 10-2 is still possible. Now KSR is talking about how great 9-3 would be. This team, and its coaches, need to show that they still have that fire that helped them beat Florida and score that game-winning drive a few weeks ago. Right now, none of us are seeing that team on the field.

12. CoachCat
    6:43 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

This really is a garbage article.

13. UKPROF
    6:48 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Well Nick, you opened yourself up on this one. Over the last 5 games (we are 2-3) our offense averages 3.35 points a QUARTER, barely a touchdown a HALF. Make excuses but just remember, “Excuses only satisfy the person that makes them.” The next two games will prove who is right, you for taking up for the offensive, or BBN for being impatient and agitated with Gran. UK should with both games, easily. We won’t have to wait too long for the results.

14. notFromhere
    6:50 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

What changed? NOT UK fans.

They all said we either would be lucky to win or wouldn’t win 5 games this year. They’ve won 7 and have a 5-3 record in conference. ALL of the fans that thought thry wouldn’t win 5, much less beat Florida on the road, are pissed they were wrong and pissed they don’t know Jack about football.

NO.THING.HAS.CHANGED. Same crap as last year. Same as the year before that. Same as 2007… No compass. No clue

That doesn’t mean the offense doesn’t need better play-calling, rhythm, variety, setup, and execution

15. crwally
    6:53 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick trying to get an ‘atta boy from Stoops with this one

16. UKSupporter76
    6:58 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Terrible clickbait article.

My issues with the offense are as follows:
    1) I can’t ever tell what they’re trying to accomplish. Are we trying to get a first down? Are we trying to get into the endzone? Are we trying to get our punter some room? Are we trying to get into field goal range? Are we just trying to burn clock? Doesn’t matter what the situation the play called appears to be “Give it to Benny and see what happens”

2) Kentucky seems unwilling or unable to make in game adjustments until it’s far too late. When you’re down multiple scores in the 4th quarter it might be time to at least start thinking about throwing a pass. UK of course continues to run the ball.

3) There is no balance to UK’s offense. It is utterly one dimensional, despite having talented offensive weapons at multiple positions. Choosing to finally start passing when you’re down 21, doesn’t count as “balance” even if the final box score looks like you threw close to the same number of passes as you did runs. And the passing game doesn’t have to be long shotrs downfield. There is a short and medium passing game that our playcallers seem to totally ignore until crunch time. They seem unwilling to just have a balanced attack going into the game then leaning towards what works best. Instead they have a “plan” (Give Benny the ball and see what happens) and they don’t deviate from that plan until it’s far too late.

That said, I’m very proud of the team and I’m thrilled that we’re having one of the best seasons in my lifetime. Go Cats.

• Han
      7:48 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

You’re forgetting that we do use the short passing game, including early on. That’s the passes to Bowden, usually right around the line of scrimmage, and then he’s supposed to make something happen. It’s too close to Joker’s offensive plan, in my opinion. A 3-yard screen on 3rd and 13 only works if you don’t call it every single time.

17. Shively1978
    6:59 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick don’t blame the fans for the coaches ignorance. You think they have done right by all these kids. CONRAD could have been a high draft pick and maybe had a great NFL career if his coaches had of utilized him properly. I think he could have been as good as Tamme in 07. No one is blaming players for anything. I haven’t seen Gran play a snap all year. I am a Benny fan and he’s a great back but if it wasn’t for Allen and the Defense we would be 5-5 at best. The frustration is we have despite the last two games a top 5 type defense if we could score we would easily be 9-1.

18. Ukmarine28
    7:01 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

As many have said it is about adjustments and heading downward in the second half of the season. Yes 7-3 is awesome but technically UK can still screw up and end at 7-5 like the last 2 yrs. MTSU isn’t a bad team they are at 7-3 but yes UK should win. However we cannot say that’s a win with how things are going right now and what we have seen fron Stoops teams in the second half of the season.Also Louisville is bad however it is rivarily game in Louisville. Anything can happen. What would Nick say if we end at 7-5? I don’t see it happening but I’m worried to some extent. Should have beat Tenn, should beat MTSU and UL. We will see. But the last two games they know exactly what’s coming at them

19. CatsfaninFL
    7:17 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Wow Nick… really struck a nerve on this article! People need a scapegoat… it’s floated between OC, QB, WRs, and OL all year… liked the stats you added to this. Think it fell on deaf ears though…

20. Trueblue44
    7:20 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Entire article is way off base and honestly, if you want to keep readers I don’t think I’d belittle those who you are depending on to read your writings, recipe for disaster kiddo. On that note, at least get it right if you are going to attempt the very fanbase you write for. No one has said our players aren’t “good enough”, hell if anything we have all said they are far too good for the product we’ve seen on the field. The product, which almost every single comment CLEARLY states, is watered down due to the COACHING and far from being the players fault at all. We all support our players, which we feel are being hampered by the offensive playcalling. All in all, if your going to throw stones at this fanbase, get your sh!t straight before you write an entire article on us, otherwise remove the “fan” label from yourself and stand on the outside looking in at this fanbase rather than attempt to be one of us then bash us.

• Trueblue44
      7:32 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Also, on a secondary note, if it’s still the exact same as you say….why is Gran saying we need to get our “sense of urgency” back? How do you get back something that never left, again as you so elegantly pointed out

21. jaws2
    7:37 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I can’t figure out why anyone that comes here would expect anything less from Nick.
    dmill44 you are EXACTLY correct. I’ve had season tickets since Commonwealth was built and I’ve already told my brother that if we don’t beat uOFsmell I’m done. I can’t fathom how much I’ve invested in this program over the years, but my return has obviously been very poor.

22. bigblue98
    7:44 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Come back to me when you’re 65 and see if you’d write this article the same way. This offense has regressed severely from the beginning of the year. And to answer one of your questions, yes, I would like to see Benny get the ball less. He’s a great player, but so are CJ and Bowden. We’re so one dimensional now it’s a joke. I love an article telling us how to support our team that was written by a young kid who was still pooping in his pants when we’d already been cheering the cats on for years.

• dcforuk
      9:24 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky’s football teams do historically suffer from the mid to late season grind. 2007 went from 6-1 to 7-5 and that was a very good team that defeated the number one team. Part of the gasoline on fire frustration, I believe, is the style Stoops prefers. It’s a toughness approach that makes the slightly unreasonable UK fan extremely vocal in their frustration. The 2007 team scored more points and, therefore, seems to get more of a pass from several of you comparatively speaking.

23. The Professor
    7:45 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Gran has been criticized during his entire tenure. I would guess the Wildcat running plays have averaged about 2 yds per carry the last 2 seasons yet we keep running it even in 2nd and long situations. The man lacks imagination and a feel for the moment at hand.

• Han
      7:52 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Wildcat, like the screen pass, can be a great tool…if your offense is diverse enough that they come as a surprise or when a defense is on its heels. If you use them every possession, like the repeated runs up the gut into a stacked box, it’s going to fail more often than not. The problem is that Benny breaks one once in a while, or Bowden turns a loss into a 30-yard gain, and Gran and Stoops apparently think that proves it’s a good play.

And I don’t know if Gran’s calling longer passes and Terry audibles out of it, or if Gran has no faith Terry can make the pass. Either way, our offense doesn’t keep the defense honest most of the game. Everybody stacks the box now and Benny’s production, and Terry’s scrambles, have gone down as a result.

24. UKPROF
    7:53 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Some of the blame for Eddie Gran has to fall back on Stoops. Stoops better go into Gran’s office and open up a can of whipass. The ‘urgency’ is NOT with the players, coach Gran, the ‘urgency’ falls back on YOU. And Coach Stoops, you better make dam sure he understands that!

• dcforuk
      9:30 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

If my boss dictates certain things to me that don’t work well and then others criticize me for the failures, he would have my back. Why? Because many of the things that failed would have been his ideas. One of the five temptations of a CEO per Patrick Lencioni’s book is “Choosing clarity over certainty.” It is tough to do!

25. ClutchCargo
    7:54 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Wanna know how I can tell which ones actually read the article and which ones only read the headline and jumped straight into the comments? There’s nothing wrong with being pissed off that this season isn’t going to be as good as it could have been, but you need to understand exactly what change you are screaming for and why. I have been watching UK football since the early 80’s and this is by far the best UK team I have seen during that time. I’m not satisfied, but I can work with that.

• Realme
      8:11 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I jumped straight into the comments, because I knew how very entertaining theyd be. Not disappointed.

• dcforuk
      9:26 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

That is a “clutch” comment!

• notFromhere
      10:17 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Well said, Clutch

26. Booby Petrino
    8:04 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

These comments lol. So angry ha ha ha

27. Nickerbocker05
    8:23 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick is completely right though! Reward this once in a lifetime team… don’t blame these players for Eddie Grans incompetence.

• JPGott2
      12:15 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

How is he right when the fans are not upset with the players???? Nick is doing something very popular today, by saying something to be true that is not. He will keep saying so over time people will believe him.

Fans are tired of the playcalling that is crazy predictable. Not the players. Actually most fans see a lot more talent on the team that is not being used. Our defense is physically and mentally exhausted.

All of this is not new, which is why the fan base is frustrated. Has been occurring since the 2nd half of USCjr, and yet, nothing has changed or adjusted.

Go Cats!

28. BLUEVADER
    8:23 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I call B.S. on this!! If he worked on Offense and actually tried something different we would be 9-1 sitting at. 6-7 in CFBP rankings!! We are 119 in Offense no excuses period

29. Tango98
    8:39 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I’m frustrated with this article!!

30. dcforuk
    9:04 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Do you remember the ESPN “Did You Know” segments? Here’s three. Did you know that if Kentucky wins one of its final two games that it will be the most regular season wins since 1984? Did you know that if UK wins its last two games that it will be the most regular season victories since 1977? Did you know that the only 7 win regular season win total from 1984 to 2002 (2002 was the year college football went to a 12 game regular season schedule) was 1998 with a Heisman Candidate QB?

• BigBlue4Three
      11:29 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Did you also know, IF a frog had wings it wouldn’t bump its ass hopping.

UK is certainly not guaranteed wins in the last 3 games. As a matter of fact, if they go 1-2 over the last 3 it would not surprise me in the least. At that point, another 8-5 season to celebrate here in the land of mediocrity. And, by the way, add another year to our HC contract to reward him.

• dcforuk
      10:33 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

It is certainly OK to want to be like Georgia or to want to be a frog that has wings but there is an evolutionary process to get despite our (mine too) FANaticism. Did You Know that while we are growing wings, we may look a little bit ugly until those wings are fully developed? We got some good wing stubs started this year including a 5-3 record in the SEC. I guess there are some of you who simply refuse to acknowledge that that is an accomplishment. You are free to “see” things as you prefer and so am I!

31. dcforuk
    9:15 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Here is a fourth “Did You Know”. Did you know that Saturday Down South predicted a 7-5 season and called the possibility of a 9-3 season a “great year”?

32. Dowser
    9:56 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick Roush or whatever. I can’t believe how full of yourself you are. I don’t know how or why in the hell you feel you have any more expertise in football as 90% of the readers on here. It seems not only you, but so many writers or commentators feel football is on some intellectually difficult plane. IT’S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! It’s easy to see our OC is painfully below average.

33. Bourbon
    9:58 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

More bullshit KSR koolaid to drink…its why I check the site once or twice a week versus once or twice a day. The hubris is unbearable

34. Trueblue44
    10:08 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

To add….as a long time season ticket holder, I’ve seen 3 of the 5 best atmospheres I’ve ever been a part of in Commonwealth this season. Don’t sit and say the fanbase isn’t supporting this team, that’s blatantly false and the numbers prove it

35. east-ky-boy
    11:40 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick is a rich, thinks he’s 17 jerk!

36. JPGott2
    2:23 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

Even when people say ‘this is Stoops philosophy. Drain the clock and the defense off the field’ all you can say is the exact opposite is occurring.

Having one of the most anemic offenses since the 2nd half of the USCjr is not an accurate game plan. Letting it fester game after game, and then pointing to need our ‘urgency back’ shows a lack of leadership and problem solving.

Defending it is even worse.

Go Cats!!!

37. CATandMONKEY
    11:00 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

One cannot blame the fans. How would games play out in a closed stadium with no spectators?

The fans are a bonus at a home game. Gravy.
    The onus is on the coach and the team.

We have seen some great football early-on, good football and crap football.

Finish 9-3 and I can probably die happy but that doesn’t mean I cannot say “what if” as a 25 year fan, alum and insane person for sticking it out- deserve it.

• dcforuk
      4:23 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see any problems with what ifs. We certainly need to give each other the freedom to express what we are believing in feeling. I want to make certain that I stand up for your right to express because I want the same rights to express my thoughts as well. But, here is an interesting what if. What if Mark stoops did not come? On the one hand I like the fact and the thought of us competing for an SEC East title. On the other hand, that does not happen overnight and as we all know we are still with an arm-length of not only mediocrity but really bad losing seasonS. So, how about this what if? What if Mark stoops did not come to Kentucky? What would our recruiting look like? Who would have been hired? Would that coach have already been fired? I think these are important question regarding having perspective……… especially cents the best number of regular-season WinTOTAL since 1984 and since 1977 are still on the table as possibilities

• dcforuk
      4:24 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see any problems with what ifs. We certainly need to give each other the freedom to express what we are believing in feeling. I want to make certain that I stand up for your right to express because I want the same rights to express my thoughts as well. But, here is an interesting what if. What if Mark stoops did not come? On the one hand I like the fact and the thought of us competing for an SEC East title. On the other hand, that does not happen overnight and as we all know we are still with an arm-length of not only mediocrity but really bad losing seasonS. So, how about this what if? What if Mark stoops did not come to Kentucky? What would our recruiting look like? Who would have been hired? Would that coach have already been fired? I think these are important question regarding having perspective……… especially cents the best number of regular-season WinTOTAL in the last 30 to 40 years is still on the table

• dcforuk
      4:25 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

Sorry for the duplication moderator

38. kjd
    11:09 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

The problem is our QB. He is a suspect passer, and doesn’t possess good QB mental skills. He doesn’t possess the “IT” factor that good QBs have naturally, and you can’t coach someone to in to having it.
    When Lane Kiffin was coaching at Alabama, you would see him on the side line signalling TD when the ball was snapped. The QB hadn’t even released the ball, and Kiffin knew the QB had made the right read.
    The offense is held back when you’re not able to run your full package. Teams have us figured out. That’s why poor defenses stuff us.

• mosports
      11:11 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

Exactly—terrible coaching from the offensive coordinator, and the quarterback position is such a wreck because of poor recruiting. What kind of coaching staff can’t get or doesn’t make it a priotto get a good quarterback. Stoops has had plenty of time. This is the best he can do. Fire him before the collapse u folds

39. dcforuk
    11:22 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

I agree that you cannot blame fanatics for being a fanatic. Their job is to be a fanatic. Definitionally, us fanatics Are not always reasonable. That’s OK as long as everyone realizes the true nature of a fanatic. If you are a fanatic that means the things that you say will by definition be fanatical. Most fans are not interested in analyzing the circumstances and the human elements associated with coaching and the true nature of the reasons behind “success” and whatever each individual defines as success.

40. mosports
    11:04 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

It’s the fans who deserve better after what we saw in Knoxville. As far as changing the trajectory of the program, the numbers shown here clearly tell us the team has gotten worse since the first month of the season. Grab should be fired and the Tennessee game was a disgrace. Way to leave your mark on the SEC.

• mosports
      11:06 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

Correction: “Gran should be fired and the Tennessee game was a disgrace”

41. dcforuk
    7:54 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

It’s sucked for me when I went to Birmingham in 1995 for the elite eight and had to drive back after a loss. I watched them win in Saint Pete in the first round of 1994. The drive home after The wall to Marquette really stunk too

42. dcforuk
    7:57 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I am certain that the drive back from Knoxville probably did suck pretty bad. The drive back from Gainesville or maybe even the flight back from Gainesville in September was a little more exciting I would think