Kentucky favored by 7.5 points in season opener

commonwealth

The early lines for Week 1 of college football are out and your University of Kentucky Wildcats are favored by a little over a touchdown in the season opener.

VegasInsider.com currently has that spread at -7.5 for the Cats in the return of Shannon Dawson and his high-powered, fade-route-from-the-one-yard-line, draw-on-3rd-and-13, it-would’ve-been-a-good-call-if-it-worked offense, now with Southern Miss.

The Golden Eagles return its stud QB after a 9-5 record in 2015.

2,222 hours ’til kickoff! (Give or take a few.)

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Kentucky favored by 7.5 points in season opener

1. DelrayCat
    9:47 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Only 7.5? This is going to be a long season.

• inside info2
      10:30 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

It’s not going to be long at all. There is going to be PLENTY to talk about. Starting with this first game it looks like. If we don’t win by 3 touchdowns it’s going to feel like a loss to the fans.

2. BluKudzu
    9:47 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Man, I don’t know on this spread. Right now I am thinking take the points, but we have a while to ponder the spread. I will be interested to see if it changes significantly over the next several weeks.

3. shepdog3720
    12:13 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

I will be in Vegas in 2 weeks and I am making 2 bets:

1st bet is laying the 7.5 big
    2nd is taking the over on 5.5 even bigger

This year is either a boom or bust for me….I have been on the train for a long, long time and it is put up or shut up time for this old dude!

4. BIGCAT GRAD
    12:35 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

First of all…Southern Mississippi is a quality opponent that goes to bowl games. I would be pleased with a win. They certainly are a better opponent than some of the homecoming opponents people bring in on their first game!

5. onsides
    12:51 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

KY opens AT Southern Miss next year! Stupid scheduling. Whoever replaces Stoops is going to be in a hole.

6. Angelo
    2:13 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

Easy money… I hate to say…

7. BobNWeaver
    2:44 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky can’t catch a break. We had UAB scheduled for our 2016 opener until UAB shut down its football program. We had to scramble to find a new non-conference opponent and did not want a team as good as Southern Miss (who beat Alabama in 2000, Oklahoma State in 2001, and Nebraska in 2004). Southern Miss has 5 Conference USA Championships, 22 bowl appearances and 10 bowl wins. They will come to UK looking for a win.

8. Blueblueblueblue
    8:14 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

Southern Miss loses their Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator from last season. They beat 0 good teams in 2015. They lost to WKU and Marshall. This isn’t a bad football team, but it is not a team a power 5 team should run in fear of.