Kentucky confirms former Troy QB Sawyer Smith has joined the team

Getty Images

Getty Images

We’ve known about it for a few months, but today, Kentucky made the addition of former Troy quarterback Sawyer Smith official. A grad transfer, Smith will have two seasons of eligibility remaining, beginning this fall. He will back up Terry Wilson, filling the void left by Gunnar Hoak and Danny Clark, who transferred out this spring.

“We’re excited to have Sawyer join our program,” Mark Stoops said in a release. “It’s great to add a quarterback with his experience and success. He helped lead Troy to an outstanding season last year and we’re glad to have him here.”

Smith played in all 13 games for Troy under Neal Brown last season, starting the final seven. He was 5-2 as the starter, completing 144-of-229 passes for 1,669 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also rushed for 191 yards and a score. He was named MVP of the Dollar General Bowl after leading Troy to a 42-32 victory over Buffalo, completing 31-of-44 passes for 320 yards and four touchdowns.

I expect we’ll hear more about Smith from Stoops on Thursday during Kentucky’s session at SEC Media Days; until then, Roush has you covered.

4 Things Sawyer Smith can do for Kentucky’s Offense

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Kentucky confirms former Troy QB Sawyer Smith has joined the team

1. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:17 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Stop saying Terry’s backup, the correct terminology is Terry’s competition. Without him TT could suck and Stoops probably wouldn’t pull him but now there’s a winning QB right beside him forcing him to play at his best. Terry should improve but with Smith here the pressure is on him to prove himself. I doubt he would have given up a high probability starting job without some a guarentee of a chance to earn it here. Personally I don’t care who is throwing the pigskin as long as they are our best chance of winning.

• MontyCats
      9:40 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

I agree 100%, I have been critical of Terry but I’m far more critical of this system of not giving everyone a fair shake. If this staff starts making that a habit it will bite them in the ass on the field and in recruiting. Let’s see what the guy can do.

• Soylentbeans
      11:54 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Terry is a winning qb or did you guys already forget that we just went 10-3? Before you start this Terry was terrible blah blah stuff he is still a winning qb. Now to move on from that I’m happy with this transfer because yes you are correct competition drives people to become better.

2. DelrayCat
    4:34 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Wow…this may be the deepest QB bench in UK history.
    Wilson, Scalzo, Gilmore, Wood, and now Smith.

3. truBLU
    5:08 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

It seems that way. As I understand though, scalzo is still rehabbing, Gilmore is completely green coming in, and Wood is just not a viable SEC option. So with wood as our only returning player, more experience was crucial.

4. Not Dan Issel
    5:09 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Our starting QB after 6 games.

5. UKCatAttack
    5:36 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Welcome to BBN!!! I predict he plays meaningful minutes at some point this season. I pray Terry Wilson takes a step forward, but we don’t have a Benny Snell in the backfield this season. We are going to have to throw the ball around this year and if Terry didn’t figure out the intermediate pass during the off-season he will be backing this guy up.

• ky1988
      8:11 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

No have smokes he is going to be better then snell

6. zoupman
    8:29 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Shame Gunner left. Wetter than any of these guys.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:42 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Yes because having a backup who couldn’t beat out a horrible at moments Terry was just what this team needed to succeed.

• Soylentbeans
      11:57 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Show me any highlight of gunner doing good against good teams in highschool.

7. UKGrad79
    9:29 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

He sounds like he has a lot of talent. Yes we have a lot of very talented QB’s on the roster!