Kentucky 12th in ESPN’s SEC Preseason Power Rankings

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

We are less than three weeks from the start of the season, and, in turn, the national media is starting to release their preseason picks. This morning, the ESPN College Football crew put out their SEC Preseason Power Rankings, and Kentucky came in 12th, ahead of Missouri and South Carolina.

“Head coach Mark Stoops is entering his fourth year at Kentucky, and as much as he’s done for the program off the field, fans want to start seeing results on the field,” Greg Ostendorf wrote. “Led by Drew Barker, Stanley “Boom” Williams and others from that 2014 recruiting class, it’s time for the Wildcats to get over the hump and into a bowl game. There’s no reason they can’t get at least six wins this season.”

“At least six wins”! Look at that optimism. Here are the complete rankings, which will make you very thankful Kentucky’s not in the SEC West:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Ole Miss
4. Tennessee
5. Florida
6. Georgia
7. Texas A&M
8. Arkansas
9. Auburn
10. Mississippi State
11. Vanderbilt
12. Kentucky
13. Missouri
14. South Carolina

What say you? I think it’s pretty fair.

[ESPN]

12 Comments for Kentucky 12th in ESPN’s SEC Preseason Power Rankings

1. Dizzyd2k3
    10:16 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

After watching the UK/Vandy game again on the SEC Network yesterday, I believe we will be above them this year. Their offense was horrible and with the yo-yo effect on our quarterbacks not allowing them to get their rhythm going. I think with our QB being solid, we win that game and more than Vandy overall.

• whatwasthat
      11:10 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

As I did also dizzy, a game that should have easily been won. Two first and goals, zero points. Having Boom with essentially one arm fielding punts. Trick plays, dropped passes, that game had all the ugly. Truly hopefully that it was Dawson that was the cancer on that team and if you look at how he handled the offensive playmakers he could have very well been the problem.
      Been watching way to many football games from last year, favorite might be the ole miss Arkansas game, but there were plenty of good ones, but bring on the live action. GO CATS.

• Kernel Sanders
      11:49 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

Maybe Dawson was a cancer. But he can’t be blamed for inept defensive coaching that allowed a trick play that middle school teams use. And Dawson can’t be blamed for season long inept special teams play (and coaching) either. Hopefully actually having a coach in charge of special teams cures that, and hopefully after three years of on the job training our entire coaching staff will look like they have their ish together in crucial game situations.

• whatwasthat
      12:30 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Kernel not saying defense was a problem or special teams, but we have beat that horse to death. Last years defense lacked big time playmakers either to lack of talent or maturity, but in all honesty the terrible play calling on offense and inability to move the chains, kept those kids on the field much to long. Definitely, they are going to need some good linebacker play to make a difference this year. Coach Stoops needs to put the three years of on the job training he has had to good use or we as fans will indeed question his ability to lead albeit his ability to recruit. GO CATS.

• whatwasthat
      1:05 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

* wasn’t

2. evilcarl
    10:42 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

I think it is fair. We need to beat Vandy, and I think we will. All those teams 9 thru 13 are good football teams stuck in an impossible league. But I do think there is a good chance we can jump to 8th or 9th with some good quarterback play and good play calling. I am loving everything I’m seeing and hearing.

3. Rsn2GoBlu
    11:48 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

We may be the only school that will know by Sept 3rd if we will go bowling or not. Lose to Southern Miss, and I don’t see 6 wins this season no matter how hard I look.

• Kernel Sanders
      11:54 am August 15, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. Can’t think of another program where the attendance of the 2nd game of the season could drop by 20,000 people depending on the results of game 1. I know we play at Florida between the first 2 home games, but if we lose to Southern miss I see no way we beat FL in Gainesville

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:01 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Probably true, though a loss to Southern Miss would not necessarily mean we are terrible. They are probably capable of winning against anyone outside the top 15 or so teams in the country, on the right Saturday. We are playing a quality opponent to open the season. 3 of our 8 SEC opponents will not be as good as Southern Miss.

• kycats13
      1:00 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely, we don’t win against Southern Miss and it will be a mass exodus from the fan base.

4. Duff86
    12:01 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

I think that is a fair ranking. We have not proven anything. But I will say, I think our ceiling is #8 right behind A&M.

5. BluKudzu
    1:06 pm August 15, 2016 Permalink

Fair prediction. I am hoping for better, as always. Who knows? A couple lucky bounces of the ball, and we are moving up. We might find some freshmen, and others running with the 2s, to step up on the D Line and play lights out. Should that happen, we bowl.