Kash Daniel Clarifies Kroger Field Attendance Comments

Following Kentucky’s Senior Day, junior linebacker Kash Daniel stood up for the 16 players who played their final gamer at Kroger Field.  A person who has never hesitated to speak his mind, some of his comments about the attendance rubbed people the wrong way.

“You got a ranked team. First eight-win regular season since the 80’s. You got to see Josh Allen break a sack record here,” Daniel said shortly after the game.

“I understand the weather was too cold, or maybe you couldn’t get a ride here, didn’t have the funds to do it, I understand that. But, if you could be here and support them and say you’re behind us thick and thin, then these seniors deserved to go out with a full crowd.”

Naturally, it caused quite the stir around the Big Blue Nation.  Many were happy to hear Kash speak the truth, while others pointed to the poor performance against Tennessee or the lackluster directional opponent from Conference-USA.  Daniel did not mean to attack fans for not filling the stands.  He simply wanted to give the seniors what they earned: a packed house.

“I didn’t come after the entire Big Blue Nation,” he said after today’s practice.  “I just love my teammates.  It’s not that I have a hatred for people that didn’t show up.  I just have so much love for the guys that I play with, I just want the best for them.  This class completely changed this program to make Kentucky football relevant again.  I think they’ve earned it.”

For those who were embarrassed by the Tennessee loss, Kash echoes that sentiment, so much though that he had to stop himself before he got too emotional.  He may have been too emotional after Saturday’s game, and for that, he apologizes.

“I’m sorry. My bad. If I pissed somebody off, my bad.  I just love my teammates and I just love this senior class.”

Many might have stuck to their guns no matter what.  Even if you don’t think he needed to apologize, it showed maturity well beyond his years. Respect.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

27 Comments for Kash Daniel Clarifies Kroger Field Attendance Comments

1. bankshot
    8:06 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Way to go Kash!

• yzriderjw
      11:23 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I Think what Kash said is 100% true. But guess what? My ass was in thOse stands for that game. I’ll be at Cardinals stadium on Saturday as well. #BBN see you in Orlando…. Keep up the good work @#STOOPSTROOPS

2. chris43
    8:15 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

If they have the right to hold BBN accountable for not selling out Kroger field…shouldn’t BBN have the right to hold them accountable for the UT game? I can respect getting beat in a hard fought game but we flat right out did not even show up. You got to see what UT is all about by how MIZZ blew them out Saturday. All I gotta say…it’s HELL in the southern part of the state where the fan base is mixed living on the state line. Literally all I hear at work is how we were supposed to be so good and they demolished us. I know it’s just a game…but dang did we have to lose that one?

3. kybirdieman
    8:45 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

No apology needed. You spoke the truth Kash.

4. shelby
    9:04 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He’ll learn to keep his mouth shut as he matures. I like Kash, but he seems to think he can just say anything while chomping on his sandwich after a game.

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      9:13 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Agree. STFU Kash and just do ur job.

• Parker_UKFanNC
      9:20 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t see anything wrong with he said. If I didn’t live in NC I would’ve been there Saturday. Fans are ridiculous considering we were a two win team not too long ago. Show some dang appreciation for this group making a huge change in the culture around football in UK.

• 4everUKblue
      10:28 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Yes Parker! ^^^

• bigbluebanana
      9:10 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

He has reporters sticking microphones in his face all the time, he can say what he wants, he’s the player, that’s how interviews work. If anyone cared about your opinion, they’d be sticking microphones in your face. This “athletes just need to stick to their sport” bs is ludicrous.

5. slangterm
    9:11 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He wasn’t wrong for saying it. Maybe not the best place to say it. I’m glad he has the gumption to comment further. I don’t care about that. Kick the shit outta little brother Saturday. Go Cats.

6. brainesman
    9:48 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t mind his comments at all. If we want to be elite, we need to act like it and fill up our modestly-sized stadium. I always defend BBN when people say we don’t care about football, but that game and the Vandy game are a bad look.

I get that the Tennessee game sucked but this is still a great season and those seniors arrived at a program recently off of a two win season. No, it didn’t end perfectly but they elevated UK to a point where we could even be disappointed with a loss to UT. The stadium seemed to be more back when the team was terrible, now the team is good and everyone crankily says they should’ve beaten Tennessee.

One thing I will say is that I didn’t think the regular crowd was terrible, but the student section was pathetic. I went to a smaller school without a football team, now I drive two hours each way and walked a mile and a half to come to each game. The fact that the student section was maybe 10% full made the stadium look awfully empty, even when the normally empty corners where somewhat filled in.

One last thing, if you weren’t at the game then you can’t criticize Kash. He could’ve gone to South Carolina or Tennessee and played for a worse team that still had way more people at their games than he has at UK. He didn’t because he wanted to help change the culture here. The team has done that, the least we can do is show up for them.

7. zoupman
    10:09 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I don’t fault Kash at all, be loves his teammates. However, as TV coverage gets better and better and ticket prices are always going up, I expect to see more empty seats around the country going forward.

8. jrdh13
    10:14 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I dont know if its just to exspensive but heck we dont even sell out basketball games anymore.

9. philbo
    10:26 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He’s probably not too hard too contact. Why don’t you critics stop by and tell him to STFU? …….Didn’t think so.

10. Wiley Chopper
    11:04 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Loved Kash’s comments. We have this small toxic portion of BBN who don’t know $hit from Apple butter about football or basketball but are extremely vocal on social media and the KSR comment section. 99% of these comments who dwell in negativity could not diagram a single football play or basketball play. I am sick of the Eddie Gran idiots. We have to run the ball by Design. We do not have the skill players or Depth to be an up tempo offense. Analytically, UK’s success is ball control and time of possession. Our strengths are Defense, Running Back, O-Line. Peopl say, “Get Conrad the ball” yet they don’t have the foot all IQ to observe how teams scheme to take him and Benny away. Eddie Gran isn’t going anywhere. It doesn’t matter what you idiots, most who never played college sports nor excelled at high School sports, have to say. Gunnat Hoak is no where near the playmaker that Terry Wilson is. Terry has elite speed and an arm way more accurate and stronger than Stephen Johnson. Wilson went 5-3 in his first season as a SEC starter. He has two more years to develop. Hoak had opportunities with the ones to establish himself but looked mediocre at best. You low football IQ idiots can whine and moan all you want. Terry Wilson has improved since the beginning of the season. He is just as accurate as Hoak and provides elite speed as a dual threat. Hoak is a one dimesnional average QB and SEC defenses can scheme against that. We are ranked in the Top 15 and have been in every CFP Rankings this season. We could go 9-3. All of these idiots detractors would have jumped on that had they been told prior to season that UK would be 8-3 and ranked 15 in CFP and be 2nd in the SEC East, 5-3 in SEC and beat Florida. I’m sick of you morons putting down my basketball team and football team. I guarantee over half of the negativ Nancy’s in the KSR comments section didn’t even attend UK. Most of you Negative Nancy’s could not even diagram a simple power run play or if highlight the exact defensive player who is the read on a read option play or what two defensive players Wilson is observing in a run pass option. I guarantee 3/4 of the negative Nancy’s could explain zone blocking technique and the differences between a zone blocking versus a power blocking scheme. These same idiots speak negatively of the basketnall team. We have been to 4 Final Fours, have 1 Championship, and 1 Runner up, and been to the elite 8 in 6 of 9 seasons. I am so sick and tired of the negativiety from unathletic geeks who don’t comprehend the nuance involved in scheming and play design and football. I love Matt Jones but his tweets during the game don’t help. Like saying Wilson hit Conrad in triple coverage against MTSU. That was not triple coverage. MTSU was in a zone defense on that play and bracketing Conrad.the football team has exceeded expectations. We will NOT get elite recruits unless the University makes marketing to the student section a prioroty. Coach Stoops has defeated USC 5 years in a row, Mizzou 4 years in a row, and Vanderbilt 3. We have defeated Mississippi State 2 of the past 3 season. We are 13-11 in the last 3 seasons in the SEC. All with Coach Gran. It doesn’t matter what you idiots say. Coach Stoops has established this program. Coach Cal has made ur team exciting each and every year. You whining negative Nancy losers should hold yourselves to the ridiculous expectations you place on 17-22 year old young men. Do any of you hope yourself to the same standards in your personal life. So you low football and basketball IQ morons keep whining. If you idiots who think you are so intelligent realized how some of UK players read the comment section and make fun of how ignorant you are and lack of fundamental knowledge of their respective sport you would be extremely embarrassed. I’m going to start calling out every single moron on this website who speaks negatively of my alma mater. You fake a$$ fans go away. You aren’t wanted. You people are the first to fan boy when you come across any of our student athletes or coaches. I challenge any idiots speaking negatively of Coach Gran to a football exam.

• Snapper42
      11:16 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Whew, a bit long winded, but…Amen

• michaelb
      11:31 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

You’re wrong about a lot of stuff hot shot

• philbo
      11:31 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Wow, can tell you’ve been wanting to get that off your chest! AMEN!
      Well done, very well done.

• J-Dub421
      1:31 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

Amen, Wiley.

• BluKudzu
      2:20 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Do the fans need to apologize for the poor attendance on Senior day? Mark Story wrote a piece that makes some very strong points.

“To expect fans to operate out of love for school is disingenuous when big – time college sports programs have made clear with their actions that the relationship between the university and the ticket -buying public is primarily one of commerce.”

“Before its 2015 football season, the University re-ticketed its entire football stadium as a result of a $110 million renovation that modernized the venue formally known as Commonwealth Stadium and added premium seating areas.”

To many of the longtime UK fans that 2015 re-ticketing was a seminal experience in their Wildcats fandom.”

“Priority in choosing new seats, as well as in picking what stadium parking lot one had access to, was determined by one’s standing with the K-Fund, the primary fund raising arm of UK Athletics.”

“A fair number of UK football backers, who felt like they had shown loyalty by renewing their season tickets through “thin and thin” lost their seats and their traditional parking areas because they had not donated enough money to UK Athletics.”

“Progress comes at a cost, So we should never criticize the process. It had become abundantly clear that Kentucky needed to enhance its facilities if it was ever going to become more competitive in the cutthroat world of SEC football.”

“But once you have unequivocally shown your fans that their value is determined by how much money they are worth to the university, it is hard to turn around and make emotional appeals to fan “Loyalty”.”

“The ticket-buying public has begun to approach UK sports as consumers, not blind loyalists.”

“Give a consumer a noon kickoff, a Conference USA foe,and only seven days to bounce back from an unusually demoralizing loss at Tennessee – all the conditions the Kentucky fans faced for MTSU – and some will find other ways to spend their leisure time.”

This is a team that has done what other teams have not done, legitimately, since 1952.

“In a more innocent time, those achievements would have meant a full Kroger field and a rousing fan send off for senior day”

“Alas, innocence is in short supply around big -time college sports in 2018, even- especially?- among the customers.”

Basically, UK, for reasons right or wrong, has eliminated a sizable portion of the emotionally involved, that now need more justification to spend the dollars to be able to come out and support their beloved Wildcats. When there are so many other options available to them, along with today’s access to media, opportunity to see, hear or read about the game are much easier and now justifiable to not attend.

11. michaelb
    11:26 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Fake probs. What are we 11 here?

12. michaelb
    11:29 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I hate every single comment here . Sound like a bunch of tards

• philbo
      11:55 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Apparently you don’t have anyone in your family with mental disabilities. You’d know that’s one of the most insulting words you can use. Thru no fault of their own they face challenges every day you’ll never know. Get involved in Special Olympics and you’ll feel better about yourself or maybe understand better.

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      4:27 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Someone got their medulla oblongata bent outta shape. Apparently Philbo has an extra chromosome

• philbo
      6:02 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

Talk to Kash yet? We’ll pray for you Jesus.

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      8:22 am November 23, 2018 Permalink

Jesus loves u. Everyone else thinks ur retarded.

13. brassnux66
    9:04 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

No apology needed. He was spot on. Starting with the students who’s section was basically empty. Keep that fire and attitude Kash! I love the passion.