Just Another Summertime List

I have to admit, this summer has been an absolute blast. When I first started posting on KSR, I was concerned that I’d run out of topics prior to the season’s start. The exact opposite happened. Recently I’ve posted two Top 10 lists and a seven ULL predictions piece. As we creep closer to fall camp, I thought I’d discuss my five most pressing summertime concerns/questions:

Where are the JUCO’s?

In a late Signing Day surprise, UK signed Pearl River defensive lineman Courtney Miggins. Expected to immediately contribute at defensive tackle or defensive end, recruiting experts described Miggins’ signature as an instantaneous upgrade in defensive depth. I agreed. Alvonte Bell was signed to influence opposing quarterbacks. When their faxes came through on Signing Day, upstairs of the Nutter Center collectively erupted.

But to my knowledge, neither Miggins nor Bell have reported to campus. Ryan Flannigan’s late 2014 arrival should serve as a reminder as to the imperative nature of early JUCO arrivals. The longer their absence continues, the more uneasy I become.

Freshmen defensive back development.

Derrick Baity, Kei Beckham, Will Jackson, Marcus Walker, and Chris Westry are arguably UK’s best defensive back class in recent history. By their Signing Day addition, Stoops and Marrow narrowed down a personnel weakness (CB) while instantaneously upgrading the position’s talent. But, which rookies will play? Who redshirts? How have they adapted to college competition? All questions that will impact the season’s win-loss column. In 2014, cornerback concern resonated. This class was signed to produce.

-CJ Conrad’s surgery recover.

Tight end production has been missing. Not exactly breaking news. CJ Conrad and Darryl Long are expected to correct a problem that has plagued the Wildcat offense since Jacob Tamme’s departure. Conrad underwent off-season sports hernia surgery. Recover time and his ability to participate in preseason camp are pressing matters. Without Greg Hart’s eligibility confirmation, UK is dangerously thin at TE. Not to fret, Shannon Dawson prefers to play with four receivers. However, Conrad’s health is paramount. I am also extremely high on Darryl Long. Regardless of who starts, a TE talent increase will be obvious.

-Why are folks stressing about the stadium?

Seat in place, check. Functional scoreboard, check. Two upright goal posts, check. 100 yard painted field, check. Operational bathrooms, check. Ok, what the heck else do you want? I could care less about chandeliers and ceiling fans. The missing point here is that the university has ponied up cash and commitment to the football program. If it’s uncomfortable at first, so be it. As a long time complainer of the financial discrepancy in UK’s two revenue producing sports, I’ve voiced frustrations throughout the years. UK administration has done its part and then some. Just play the darn game already. If amenities are an entertainment necessity then go to the Versailles Krogers after the game. Now that’s a construction master piece. Trust me on this one. It’s going to be ok.

– Will the silence continue?

Innately during the summer, a vast portion of UK related media folks are dialed in on basketball related events and stories.  A football void is routine and expected.  Kentucky Sports Radio site has led the way and has provided an abundance of football material. Hat tip to Tyler’s SEC Media Days excellence. However, during this time of the year, actually no news is good news. This summer has been free of DUI’s, bar room brawls and bb gun fights. With free time running out prior to being locked down for camp, the last couple of weeks are dangerous. The very last thing Kentucky can afford is to lose a player from summertime stupidity.

Those were just five of my summertime concerns/questions. That list will exponentially grow come 6 August. We’re getting close.

Article written by Freddie Maggard

Former University of Kentucky Quarterback and Andy Griffith Fan Club President

18 Comments for Just Another Summertime List

1. RICK
    12:30 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like you are worried that Bell and Miggins not be coming. Hope they show up.

2. claiborne_field
    12:32 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Excellent post, Freddie. Thanks for the insight and I look forward to more as the season fast approaches.

3. GroundControlToNumber9
    12:48 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

“Why are folks stressing about the stadium?”

Great question Freddie. Instead of asking the readers of the site however why not post the question back at your co-writers at KSR? They are the ones stirring the pot.

As if you didn’t know.

• inside info2
      1:52 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

INSIDE the stadium won’t matter much as long as all the checkmarks Freddie mentioned are covered. What WILL matter is the OUTSIDE. If you mess with the parking and tailgating people are going to be upset and that does matter. Right now the outside is a mess.

4. Tom
    12:51 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I’m not a huge football fan, but I really enjoy reading your post. Thanks for getting us ready for football!

5. Juan4UK
    12:59 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Maggard, you really have brought it with your coverage of football for me. Round ball pain is still too much for me to bear, so you are pretty much the only reason I check in each day. And you have taught me a lot about in depth football thinking. Thanks!! So glad Stoops, Marrow and UK are building us a program we can claim proudly.

6. UKBlue1!
    1:19 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

You bring a great prospective to the football program. Keep the articles coming. I am hoping for a 6 win season.

7. Elwoodp
    1:24 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I heartily agree about the stadium. Instead of focusing on the positives, the concern by everyone is “Will it be ready?”. SMH

8. Mixxy
    1:28 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

So stop worrying about CWS, start worrying about Bell and Miggins. Got it!

9. NL
    1:38 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I think the JUCOs coming in later than expected are a big deal. Maybe the season starting later than usual buys us a little more time to get them up to speed

10. Leuther
    1:46 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Enjoy your updates and perspective! Please keep it up, Freddie!

11. woohop1
    2:24 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Super piece by F. Maggard. He gets better with each succeeding piece. Yes…….he is very pro-UK….so what is wrong with that. One of my all time favorites, he has shown now a strong competency for the “written word” Hope he continues to increase his commentary moments. The only other sport blog commentator that provides the best insight on UK and other football is J. Rowland with Cats Illustrated. If Maggard couldn’t become full time with KSR on all things football, then Matt Jones should go after Rowland to balance out KSR’s heavy basketball emphasis. Unfortunately even Matt is light-weight on football competency.

12. theWilkman
    2:50 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Could not agree more with you on the stadium. The university has ponied up the money, showing firm commitment to the program. What more do people want? Do they think administration has purposefully dragged their feet so it wouldn’t be ready? It will be complete when it’s complete – until then take solace that the football program has the university’s backing.

13. CB3UK
    3:19 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Keep it coming FM. Glad to have football writing on here finally.

14. Carter Hall
    3:57 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Thanks to Matt Jones for hiring you. Mr. Maggard, you are doing great work. I would like to complement you for your tireless efforts to bring extensive coverage to an admitted football crazy.

15. Fairplay
    4:08 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Freddie is the very best addition to the KSR lineup ever. Keep it up.

16. Blue_denim
    5:45 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Sweet post yo

17. Don
    10:39 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Why does everyone keep bringing this up? You get over hernias in 3-4 weeks.. These kids are young and strong and probably recover quicker than that….Let it go…