Josh Forrest surprised by Lamar Jackson

Photo by UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Ending the season on a disappointing note, UK’s 38-24 loss to Louisville Saturday still hurts. As soon as Lamar Jackson came in to the game after Kyle Bolin threw two inceptions, the Wildcats scrambled to keep the mobile backup QB contained – and failed, miserably.

It seemed as if Mark Stoops and Co. were scratching their heads to come up with anything to shut down Jackson ,who finished the game with 130 yards passing, 196 rushing, and three touchdowns.

It led many to speculate on Twitter if Kentucky even prepared for the possibility of Jackson, and sadly, it seems they didn’t.

After the game, Josh Forrest told the media the team was surprised by Louisville’s switch to Jackson – something the team had, surprisingly, not planned for. Forrest said Jackson ran more than the team had anticipated and was faster than expected:

I don’t know what’s more troubling, the fact that UK was caught unawares by a quarterback change or the fact that no one has yet to figure out how to stop a running quarterback. After three years, you would think someone would at least have a plan…

Article written by Ricki Barker

Writer of things. Watcher of sports. Wearer of blue. Sometimes all at once.

18 Comments for Josh Forrest surprised by Lamar Jackson

1. The Frizz
    5:12 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Is this the best place to say that Elliot needs to go if this is how he prepares the defense? If so, Elliot needs to go. If not, he still needs to go.

2. 25OR624
    5:13 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

It is called RISK Mitigation. Plan A, plan B, plan C, etc.

The 7 Ps are always a must: Prior proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.

How in the hell can an SEC coach fail to prepare his team for the distinct probability that Jackson would play?

That is rediculous. It is a fireable offense for which there is no defense.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:04 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Its ridiculous that you spell the word ‘ridiculous’, ‘rediculous’.

3. Wildcat7
    5:46 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s time for a new DC and OC coach. It seems neither know what to do. I can’t even wrap my head around how in the world they didn’t prepare for the Louisville’s best threat. Everybody knew it. Dogs, squrriels, and even hamsters knew it!! Pathetic. Our own coaches can’t set us up to win with some of the best talent we’ve had in years. We should have finished 8-4 this season.

4. rainman
    5:56 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Sadly, this falls onto one mans shoulders, and thats the Head Coach!
    Can anyone say with a straight face that any of the three previous
    teams were better at the end of the year vs the beginning?
    I stop short on saying no players have improved from beginning to
    end, but the improvments have definately been limited.
    I have come to the conclusion that for as good a person, and recruiter
    as Mark Stoops is, he’s just NOT a head coach!

• rainman
      6:00 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Oh, BTW, was anyone else surprised by Loserville starting Bolin over Jackson?
      I was tickled to death when he was announced as starter! I KNEW without a bit
      of doubt we would have severe trouble stopping Jackson, and I, don’t get paid
      millions of dollars to know it either!

5. kjd
    5:56 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Wow!!! It’s worse than I thought. The talent gap is our coaching staff.
    Thank you Josh Forrest. Makes my decision on season ticket renewal easier.

6. Gitback Coach
    6:03 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Okay, even I’m not this stupid. To say that UK’s coaching staff disregarded even the possibility of Lamar Jackson entering the game is simply and unequivocally poor “journalism” in even its least accurate forms.

Methinks the “journalists” should put a bit less stock in the offhand, sometimes unintelligible comments of any player directly after a loss . . . particularly a player who clearly demonstrated just hours earlier the full capacity for, shall we say, “questionable” judgment.

I’ve said (posted) it before, and I’ll say (post) it again. If Josh Forrest indeed was one of UK’s leaders this fall, this team had a serious leadership problem. Sheesh.

7. dean winchester
    6:04 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Offensive line coach and dc gotta have changes. This one is on Elliott. A simple…”tackle Jackson….every single read option….forget the rb….tackle the qb” would have been all the coaching needed. Jackson calls his own number 90% of the time. I would much rather take my chances on their running back than their sub 4.4 running qb

8. blueballs80
    6:14 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Will Stoops have the gall to make those changes? He will stick with Eliot. I don’t see him firing them. I maybe wrong but I highly doubt he does it. Makes me wonder why Neal Brown didn’t take the OL coach with him.

• dean winchester
      6:26 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

That is what im afraid of. I believe in Stoops, but he has got to fix somethings and Elliott is his guy.

• Gitback Coach
      6:31 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Well, one very obviously necessary change to the program is now made . . . Josh Forrest is graduating (well, at least his eligibility has expired).

He has proven a very athletic kid who certainly put in some measure of work to develop his God-given natural abilities, but in other areas of personal and intellectual development, he clearly still has work to do.

When questioned on halftime adjustments, the widely acknowledged LEADER of this defense dismissively states the following:

“Um . . . JUST some adjustments to stop the ZONE READ and the QUARTERBACK PULLING IT and THINGS LIKE THAT. Umm, A LOT OF IT WAS GEARED TOWARDS THE QUARTERBACK.”

Given the above quotation, the particular TITLE you choose to include for this post actually says one helluva lot more about Forrest’s intellect and/or character than it does about D.J. Eliot’s ability to coach. Just sayin’.

But by all means; fire ’em all, you BBN idiots.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:52 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I agree. Hell, lets at least let Stoops get a few more recruiting classes in here, so the cupboard is not left totally bare when we completely start all over again….

9. MikeUKFan
    6:33 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I expected Jackson start. Was thrilled to see Bolin. But of course we always let 1 player look like a Heisman Trophy Candidate

10. Jiminy Crickets
    7:21 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Elliot is a pompous jerk. You can tell, even in his post-game interview he’s trying to “dumb it down”, but to be honest I think he doesnt know himself. When asked if changes need to be made to better contain a running QB, he said, “yea we’ll look at it in the off-season”. A lot like his “its football stuff, you wouldnt understand” when Vandy scored on a trick play that a simple Timeout could have saved.

11. ukpikedave
    10:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

“After three years, you would think someone would at least have a plan…” – I get that it’s criticism of the current staff, but UK hasn’t been able to stop a mobile quarterback for a lot longer than that. They couldn’t stop Pulley or Cobb in practice either, and it showed on Saturdays.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

#SECEffect ?

12. za
    12:32 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

So discouraging. Loss stings so bad. Something needs to be done