Josh Allen now holds the Kentucky record for career sacks

On his Senior Day, Josh Allen wrote his name in the Kentucky Football history books. With his 26.5th career sack, Allen just broke Oliver Barnett’s all-time record (26 from 1986-89). He also tied Dennis Johnson’s single-season sack record of 12, set back in 2001.

The sack couldn’t have come at a more crucial time. Down eight, Middle Tennessee had all the momentum and went for it on fourth down. Fortunately, Josh Allen was there to greet them.

His day wasn’t done.  On the penultimate play of the game, Allen sacked Brent Stockstill to break Johnson’s single-season record.  Allen has 13 sacks this season and 27.5 in his career.  On top of the two sacks, Allen recorded a career-high 15 tackles.

Allen is a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award (National Defensive Player of the Year) and Butkus Award (National Linebacker of the Year), and a quarterfinalist for Lott IMPACT Trophy as National Defensive Player of the Year. He’s won the SEC Defensive Player of the Week four times this season. He needs 2.5 more sacks to break into the SEC top 10 list for career sacks.

Hard to believe that back in 2015, he was considered only a two-star prospect. This graphic from the SEC Network needs to be a poster in the training facility:

[mobile_ad]

20 Comments for Josh Allen now holds the Kentucky record for career sacks

1. 4everUKblue
    2:48 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Congrats Josh! Go Cats!

• 4everUKblue
      3:09 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Congrats again josh! Season and career sack records!

2. drew_123
    2:52 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

When I look back on this season, all I’m going to remember is that UK wasted one HELL of a defense because they have a youth pastor calling the offense for them.

• Bobbum Man
      3:15 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Wasted a heck of a TE too… wasn’t the best day for the defense today, not sure how u let this kid go 30 for 33 but I’ll take the win! Need to take care of business against little bro now

• drew_123
      3:35 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

No kidding. We’re going to look back on CJ Conrad’s NFL career and be left to wonder what could’ve been.

• I’m going to remember the 8 or 9 wins for the first time in nearly 40 years.

• 4everUKblue
      4:24 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

How dare you find something positive to say MFBILKMJ, you’re supposed to ignore ANYTHING good in our program!

• Haha, my bad 4everUK. I will pour out my 1/2 full glass of water!

3. Trueblue44
    3:17 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Nah, frustrating with Gran yes but so much more to remember about this season than that. Josh Allen is a generational player, kid has been a blast to watch play this sport here in blue and white

4. KYCat4EVER
    3:18 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

and Thank You to whoever FIRES Eddie Gran!

5. Blue Bill
    3:56 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Josh is a beast. Can’t wait to watch him on Sundays!

6. notFromhere
    4:17 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

And THIS is the story of UK Football. A bunch of negativity to rain on any parade. Never happy. Nothing can ever be enjoyed for what it is. Fans like that don’t deserve to upgrade their meal to a bowl of dogsht. Frkn worthless

• 4everUKblue
      4:22 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Well said.

• drew_123
      5:31 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

I can be critical of the team while also being supportive. I’m happy as hell at what they’ve done. Am I not also allowed to be disappointed because they could’ve done more because I think they’re better than how they have played recently? Complacency is the number one reason why some programs excel and others remain stagnant. Me being critical of the team is not me being negative, it’s me believing that they can be better.

• crwally
      6:40 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

You should be mad too if you really support these players. They developed, put in the work, and played well enough to get to 10-11 wins; especially the defense. A few boneheaded decisions by the OC took that away from them. I’ve not met a single person mad at the players. If anything it’s mad FOR the players.

• 4everUKblue
      6:50 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

I can understand being mad for the players and I can understand being critical, being critical and being negative ARE two different things entirely.

7. zoupman
    4:36 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

So thankful for Josh and 5 conference wins. Let’s go best city college.

8. Miller45
    11:48 pm November 17, 2018 Permalink

Wow that side by side from freshman to senior year is insane. That’s due to the low quality facilities that tebow was talking about