Congratulations to Josh Allen and Lynn Bowden, who both received honors from the SEC after their play vs. Missouri.
Allen was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week for the FOURTH time this season. He had a career-high 11 tackles, nine solo, including a pair of quarterback sacks to cause fumbles, on Saturday. Thanks in large part to him, Kentucky’s defense didn’t allow Missouri a first down during the entire second half and held the Tigers to 249 yards of total offense, 252.1 yards below their season average.
Meanwhile, Lynn Bowden was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week. He helped led Kentucky back from a 14-3 deficit vs. Missouri with a 67-yard punt return for a touchdown, the first of his career. He finished the game with a career-high 13 catches for 166 receiving yards and 229 all-purpose yards.
This morning, Allen was also named a semifinalist for the Butkus Award, given to college football’s top linebacker, and the Chuck Bednarik Award, given to college football’s most outstanding defensive player. Yesterday, he was named National Defensive Player of the Week by Walter Camp Football Foundation. He leads the SEC and ranks second nationally in sacks (10.0) and leads the SEC and ranks third nationally in tackles for loss (14.5). He also ranks second nationally in forced fumbles (five).
Some impressive Josh Allen notes courtesy of UK:
- With 10 sacks on the season, Allen has the most sacks since Dean Wells had 10 sacks in 1992 and is tied for the third-most in a season
- Nine of Allen’s 10 sacks this season have come in the second half, including six in the fourth quarter and three in the third
- Allen is just the fourth player in school history to record 10 or more sacks in a season, and the first since Dennis Johnson in 2001
- Allen is the only player in the FBS since 2000 to have at least 56 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, five forced fumbles and four passes defended in his team’s first eight games of a season
- His 24.5 career sacks and 34.0 TFLs rank second on UK’s career lists
Pro Football Focus also included Allen on their National Defense of the Week list:
Josh Allen had another strong performance for the Kentucky Wildcats – joining the National Defense of the Week
— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 29, 2018
What a season.