Jordan Griffin talks secondary, moving on from fall camp

UK’s fall football camp is wrapping up and at least one player, veteran defensive back Jordan Griffin, is ready to face someone other than his own teammates.

“Camp wasn’t bad, not bad at all,” Griffin said after Thursday’s practice, his last time in front of the media at camp. “I’m just very excited to actually get to play against somebody else and compete with (our) guys.”

Griffin is the most experienced player in Kentucky’s most inexperienced position group, the secondary, so Nick Roush asked the senior what he saw out of UK’s completely new secondary in preseason camp.

“I believe it’s a standard that we have, that separates us,” said Griffin. “We’re very disciplined, very determined, very dedicated. Those are things we live by. Those are things we try to do when we step on the field, and play every play like its your last. That’s what keeps us going.”

He named Cedrick Dort, Yusuf Corker and Tyrell Ajian as some of the players to watch, but the whole group is special, he says.

“The entire group is a special group. I feel like they’re going to be very, very good, even when I’m gone. That’s the legacy that I want to leave with those guys, that mindset to lead on the field and off the field. Like I said, it’s going to be a special group.”

So what position has Griffin been playing throughout camp as the staff tries to piece together the secondary?

“I play everything.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Jordan Griffin talks secondary, moving on from fall camp

1. VMI1957
    7:49 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky will finish 3-9, maybe on a good day 4-8. Secondary will be porous and leak like a sieve and opposing teams will salivate playing against the Cats. Wilson is a lousy QB and will never amount to anything. Definitely does not know how to pass. Defense will not amount to anything on the line and the linebackers will be bad.

• Scootercat
      8:09 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for your prediction ya ball of good. I’m pretty sure we know better and know this team is going to do some special things, AGAIN…..

• Scootercat
      8:10 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

Goof, not good. I hate autocorrect.

• 2Dogs
      8:18 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

Everybody take a shot every time VMI says porous. It will make the day go by quicker.

• Bourbon-n-Coke
      8:37 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

And in his day job, VMI is definitely not a motivational speaker.

• runningunnin.454
      9:14 am August 23, 2019 Permalink

1957 was probably VMI’s last decent team; a coke was 5 cents, and gas was 30 cents a gallon…good ole days, right. You know squat about football.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:49 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

A Very Mentally Incompetent kid with flippers named Buck, born in 1957 to kissing cousins Bubba and Betty Jane in the swamps of Florida, just told us in swamp troll speech he thinks we’ll win the Superbowl. I would hope he was meaning the NC playoffs but who knows with this guy?

• grammarpoliceUK
      4:49 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

Boy, VMI and dukeisking make such a cute couple though!

2. straight facts
    12:03 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

To VMI1957 I disagree with your opinion… we all know you are a troll and probably hate Kentucky Athletics. But what I’m getting at is your completely wrong. You are the lazy one not Terry Wilson. Terry is working his butt off to play at a level like this mean while you are the one calling him lazy while you are sitting behind your phone calling out college players for their “lack of effort”. #BBN4EVER

3. CB3UK
    1:20 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

We’ve got some dudes in the secondary. Unproven, but talented. There will be plays where that inexperience gets us. An expert QB knows how to key on that. But we have real talent back there and these guys know how to be ball hawks. Give them some experience and who’s to say what they can’t do? If there’s one thing I’ve seen with Stoops, it’s that the LBs and DBs usually end up being pretty filthy when it’s all said and done. No reason to expect these guys to do anything but do work on the SEC.