Jim McElwain absolutely went off on Kelvin Taylor Saturday night

Kelvin Taylor is one of Florida’s biggest threats on offense. The junior tailback rushed for 55 yards and one touchdown in Florida’s win over East Carolina, but after that touchdown, he made a throat-slashing gesture that resulted in a 15-yard penalty and a tongue-lashing from first-year head coach Jim McElwain. McElwain went off on Taylor on the sidelines, and the language wasn’t exactly PG:

Can’t read lips? According to the Miami Herald, here’s what McElwain said:

“Don’t look down. [Expletive] be a man,” McElwain shouts. “You let your [expletive] team down. That’s [expletive] [expletive]. And you think it’s [expletive] OK?”

After some reflection and “an earful” from his 94-year-old mother, McElwain told reporters yesterday he may have overreacted.

“I don’t feel good about it,” McElwain said. “As you know, this is a very public job. This is a public thing that we do. I understand that I have a long ways to go and I make mistakes. … Am I proud of it? Absolutely not. Do I feel bad about it? Yes. At the same time, I’ve got to understand my mistakes as well and learn from it and go forward.”

Regardless, Taylor was not listed as a starter on Florida’s depth chart for this weekend, and freshman Jordan Scarlett is likely going to start in his place. I’ll take it.

21 Comments for Jim McElwain absolutely went off on Kelvin Taylor Saturday night

1. CatsBy80
    11:06 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

to be honest, i don’t see anything wrong with what McElwain did. does anyone honestly believe that if he would have pulled him aside and said, “now son, you can’t go out there and do that. that hurts the team.” that Taylor would’ve learned a lesson from this? Absolutely not. Sometimes you have to get ripped to learn a lesson. Anyone who has ever competed at an advanced level knows this. gotta have thick skin to compete at a high level.

go cats.

2. BenHur
    11:09 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

This is what his father should have said to him long ago.

3. BlueBloodtoo
    11:12 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Times are changing. Those sideline tirades aren’t going to be received well by the public. On another note, so Kelvin’s mother gave birth to him in her 70’s? WOW! That’s one strong, healthy woman.

• dubowski
      11:15 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

I hope you understand they were talking about McElwain’s mom…

4. Laker Cat 18
    11:13 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

I have respect for a player that stands and takes that kind of thrashing on the sidelines and a coach willing to not take any non-sense. We love to hate Florida, but you see mutual respect in this video. The Gators will be fine. With that said, I hope we get the win this weekend! Go Cats!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

That shows a well disciplined player. Some players will not listen and be a part of this coaching approach.

5. Cowboy Cat
    11:14 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

BlueBloodtoo – I thought the same thing lol but the 94 year old is McElwains’ mother.

6. dubowski
    11:19 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Yeah its football. Sometimes a player needs a good chewing. Side note, it was kind of a weak @$$ penalty anyways. Not much worse than Towles shushing the USC crowd after his touchdown.

• Truth
      11:30 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Pretty much the same, one means be quiet, the other means …

• dubowski
      2:31 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

if you are implying that by making that gesture, taylor meant he wants to kill everyone in the stands, then that is laughable. All it means is ‘game over’ in this context. did you even watch the video? it was no more excessive than what towles did.

• BlueBloodtoo
      3:23 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Speaking of Towles behavior, WTH was that pause during the first kneel? Was he really trying to goad the USC players by mocking them and waiting for them to continue rushing during a kneel play? Personally, I thought that was disrespectful and immature. If that is actually what was happening, it’s not something I would want to see from a leader of men.

• Troll Slayer
      4:15 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

^^ You’re not even spelling the name right, cats paw. [email protected]#$ing troll.

• KY in NYC
      6:43 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

The throat-slash gesture is an automatic 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Unlike Towles shushing the crowd and other gestures, it’s not a judgment call by the ref with the throat-slash. This was a point of emphasis several years ago when it seemed like everybody was doing it, college and pro.

7. Mathlete
    12:27 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

I’m good with the change in starting roles, but let’s be real here… if UK is up 24 on Florida, are they going to leave the freshman in or are they going to put Taylor back in and try to build a comeback?

8. BtownUKFan
    12:46 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

It was ESPN this morning. Taylor has been bumped to the third team. So it will be one of the two freshman. I have a feeling if things go south for Florida that Taylor might get an mid-game promotion.
    Mathlete, just saw your comment as I was typing mine.

9. SMH
    1:20 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

What’s your next breaking news.. JFK shot in Dallas?

10. BigBlueFanClub
    1:32 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Most teams would suspend a player for this type of behavior.

11. gottodoit
    2:42 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Do football coaches transcend the bounds of decency as McElwain did?

Of course they do, because coaches are trying to win football games and, not so incidentally, make lots of money.

Okay by me if you see nothing wrong with that.

But I do.