Jason Hatcher’s mother now cheers for the Cats, not the Cards

Hatcher and his family, including Donna, top right, in blue. Photo by Amy Wallot/Special to The C-J

Hatcher and his family, including Donna, top right, in blue.  Photo by Amy Wallot/Special to The C-J

Donna Curry, freshman DE Jason Hatcher’s mother, LOVES the University of Louisville. She was born in Louisville, grew up a Louisville fan, and even has a whole room in her house dedicated to the Cards. So, when her son chose Kentucky over her beloved Cardinals, things got a little awkward. The Courier-Journal’s Steve Jones interviewed Curry, who says that despite her love for all things UofL, she’ll be sporting blue and white tomorrow:

“I’ve always loved everything U of L,” Curry said. “It’s just where I grew up and where my heart was and that was life. … I’m a UK fan (now). My son plays for UK. I’m all about the blue now.”

In fact, some UK blue has started to take over that red and black room in her basement. Hatcher calls it “a work in progress”:

“But she’s converting. She will be in blue – my family will be in blue this week – without a question.”

Hatcher told reporters at Media Day that for him, the Louisville game is personal:

“That game holds a special place in my heart. I’m going to say that,” he said. “That game, I’m not going to say it means more than the other games, but that game means something different to me than it does to everyone else.

His former Trinity teammate James Quick plays for the Cards, and Hatcher vowed to be ready for their first showdown as rivals:

Put that hat on him. That’s the only thing I’m going to say. I’m not saying nothing else. Make sure you put a hat on him.”

#BeatLouisville

14 Comments for Jason Hatcher’s mother now cheers for the Cats, not the Cards

1. GeePee
    11:01 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Go get’em Hatch!

2. mscurmudgeon
    11:01 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

She could wear blue AND red. I remember Tubby’s wife Donna did that. Had a jacket made with both colors and wore it when the two teams played one another.

3. Duhville Cat
    11:02 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I work with Donna. She is a great lady with an awesome smile and laugh. I was at work when DJ Elliot came to talk to her and Jason. He took pictures with a bunch of us and spent time talking about his new job and the BBN (we’re crazy!). Great guy btw.
    I was also there to see Tee Martin and Clint Hurtt come in to recruit Jason.
    …. I guess the negative recruiting and bad mouthing the Cats didn’t work this time, did it Clint?

4. uk blue
    11:16 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

These quotes are from about a month and a half ago

5. tyson
    11:25 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Why aren’t players and coaches allowed to admit that rivalry games DO mean more? We all know they do. I don’t think it would matter if someone in the program was just allowed to say so.

6. DT in DC
    11:25 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Donna Smith did that when she had a son playing for UK and a son playing for Georgia. She never wore U of L red when we played Louisville.

7. Red Headed Stepchild
    12:00 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m a fan of Donna Curry, she looks good in BLUE.

8. Kelly
    12:01 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Actually he chose UK because he doesn’t like Crown Royal and a line beard just doesn’t look good on him!

9. UKfan
    12:07 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

WTG Mom. Another Victory for BBN

10. RICK
    12:12 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for playing for the cats Jason and good luck. Your and our time is coming.

11. FANS
    1:05 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, I wouldn’t be upset with her if she were still a UofL fan. I respect people who are fans of a program, any program, no matter what. I know as a Kentucky fan there’s no way I’d ever change, not if the basketball and football team went winless, not if my son played for another school (although Id obviously support my son). I’d have no problem with her still being a fan of Louisville but supporting her son at UK

12. Stoops Troops
    1:31 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

This just speaks volumes about Stoops recruiting. For this kid to have grown up surrounded by Loserville stuff and to go to a high school that predominantly pipelines into ul is amazing.

13. bob
    2:16 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Hatcher is a classy kid. Too bad he will always be on losing end.

14. PETE
    3:20 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Of course she is going to wear blue….it is her SON!!! what exactly is the point of this absurdly stupid article?