Jalen Whitlow punted the ball three yards last night

© Brad Rempel | Getty Images

© Brad Rempel | Getty Images

© Brad Rempel | Getty Images

Last night was Jalen Whitlow’s debut for Eastern Illinois, and well, it was an up-and-down affair. The former UK quarterback did a little bit of everything in Eastern Illinois’ loss to Minnesota, passing for 14-for-23 for 110 yards and 1 interception and rushing on 19 carries for 77 yards. He even caught a pass for 25 yards and punted the ball. Yes, he punted! Unfortunately, the ball only went three yards:

First game jitters?

19 Comments for Jalen Whitlow punted the ball three yards last night

1. Ryan
    10:37 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

My favorite words in this post were “former UK quarterback”. He would have made a good receiver with his size and athleticism. He definitely isn’t a QB.

• UKfan
      10:50 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Let’s quantify that…he isn’t a pro-style quarterback which is what UK needed. In our system, he would have been a better fit as a Y receiver. He would be adequate as an option QB, but UK’s system was not designed for that type of QB. I scratch my head at why Joker recruited him as a QB knowing that he would not fit the pro style system.

• memphis
      11:12 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Joker told him he could play quarterback so he could steal him away from the likes of Arkansas State, Florida International, and South Alabama.

• UKfan
      12:10 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, I remember those days. It was when they tried to sell the idea that every two star player would be the next Randall Cobb. Buying in to the “we can coach up talent” philosophy is what got us in this mess.

2. Ray Finkle
    10:42 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

LACES OUT!!!!!

3. Optimism
    10:44 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

At least Jalen’s consistent about his play… averaged about 5 yds per attempt, no TDs and a turnover. I’m sure he’s a good kid, but he’s just not a good QB.

4. Stubborn
    10:48 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Whitlow is driving is career into the ground. He obviously doesn’t have the necessary skill set to succeed at QB, but he refuses to accept it. The staff provided him the perfect comparison of Randall Cobb as a blueprint for success, but he still rejected it. He has no chance of making a career in football after college as a QB, hopefully he realizes this before it’s too late.

Whitlow you are a good kid, I hope you stop being so stubborn and apply the physical gifts you have to a position you are better suited for and can turn into a career.

• Reality
      10:59 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

They could’ve also pointed to an example of a player who had all the necessary gifts to play another position well but insisted on being a QB or nothing at all… He’s now the poster boy for the SEC Network!

5. Laker Cat 18
    11:00 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Someone found a stranger (very strange resemblance to Jon Hood) taking a shower in their house.

6. BlueRedNeck
    11:28 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

That may compete for the worst punt in the history of college football. Was that supposed to be an onside kick or something?

• theWilkman
      11:35 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Once in my high school playing days, an opposing punter somehow kicked it backwards 10+ yards, one of our guys scooped it up and ran it in. Needless to say we beat the living hell out of that team.

7. Regular Guy
    11:34 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

@stubborn Maybe he doesn’t plan on pursuing a career in football. Maybe he enjoys playing qb even though he’ll never be more than average at best. If It’s ok with him it should be ok with you

8. Brian
    12:18 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I think Whitlow could have been a good receiver and wildcat qb.

9. 2020
    12:28 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

23 passes, 19 rushes. That about sums up his QB skills right there. And he’s not even that good at rushing.

10. whitlowfamily
    1:00 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

As the father of Jalen I always wondered why you people hate my son. You jump on every negative angle you can but he gave his all to UK and loved UK. I really hope what goes around comes ten fold

• Big Brother
      1:36 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

As the father of Jalen, I would hoped you would have given him better advice. Giving advice is not “hating on your son”. I answer this knowing you are simply a little brother troll obsessed with everything Big Blue.

Regards,

Big Brother

• Chris
      1:38 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I take issue with this comment, most people were supportive in their posts. You are always looking to pick fights on twitter with the fans too. We have generally been really supportive of what has been sub-par football.

• Jordan
      3:05 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Old man Whitlow trolling KSR til he sees something negative on his son. Was he looking at any other posts or commenting on how great the other players are doing? Just waited to find something negative then pounce on it. Assuming it IS actually Father Whitlow

11. buzzard