Jacob Tamme slams Donald Trump’s “locker room talk” defense

Unless you’ve been under a rock, you’ve heard Donald Trump’s extremely lewd comments from 2005 that surfaced over the weekend in which he bragged about hitting on married women and kissing and grabbing women without consent.

‘‘When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything,” Trump said in the video, adding seconds later, “‘Grab them by the p—-. You can do anything.’’

Trump chalked the comments up to “locker room talk,” a defense which has rubbed several professional athletes the wrong way, including former Cat and current Atlanta Falcons tight end Jacob Tamme. After Trump once again referred to the comments as “locker room talk” during the debate last night, Tamme sounded off on Twitter.

Those tweets got a lot of national attention, and this morning, Tamme clarified that he doesn’t support either candidate.

Other pro athletes such as Trailblazers guard CJ McCollum, LA Galaxy player Robbie Rodgers, Oakland A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle, Cavaliers forward Dahntay Jones, Chiefs wide receiver Chris Conley, and former NBA star Grant Hill also condemned Trump’s comments on social media.

At the risk of starting a comments section brawl, I also spoke out against Trump’s comments on Twitter last night and was sickened to see some of my followers jump to his defense and say this kind of talk happens in locker rooms all of the time. This weekend, I polled all of my guy friends (including several who played sports in college), and NONE of them said they’ve ever heard this kind of predatory talk in a locker room. Like Tamme said, it is not normal; it’s disgusting.

I know “boys will be boys” and men make off-handed remarks about women all the time, but Trump’s comments crossed the line, and I’m proud of Tamme for standing up and saying something.

80 Comments for Jacob Tamme slams Donald Trump’s “locker room talk” defense

1. 3Goggles
    3:21 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Yes from the same league that just a couple of years ago had a player quit football because of inappropriate locker room conversation. Im sure they never talk about exploits and “conquests” in the locker room.

• 3Goggles
      3:29 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

And I am absolutely sure his comments weren’t made in jest. Hey, did they have video of him getting out of the bus and grabbing her there? No? Oh. Well im sure he made some sexist comment to her directly right? No? Oh. How many guys have watched a girl walk by and say to their buddies, “id tap that” or “nice rack”. Are they guilty of sexual assault too?

Look, its gross, its not a good image, he shouldnt have said it 11 YEARS AGO. But to act like he committed sexual assault? Please. Save that for the actual sexual predators and rapists that hillary gladly kept out of jail.

• Musehobo
      4:32 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

“I’d tap that” or “Nice rack” is common “locker room” talk. It’s often graphically worse. But I’ve never heard guys brag about assault. If you don’t understand the difference between assault and verbal harassment, then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s like if that Stanford swimmer went around saying “yeah bro, she was totally passed out, but we were gonna do it anyway, so ya know, I did”. Most people would be grossed out by someone even pretending like they did something like that.

• 3Goggles
      4:46 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Oh cool so you have the video of him assaulting a woman?

• madarchitect
      5:26 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Defending The Donald pretty much discredits you as a decent human.

• 3Goggles
      9:23 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

More sad that people are taking 11 year old comments that I’m sure were jokes (poor taste, no doubt) and accusinng a man of sexual assault. That’s a pretty serious accusation. So yea, I guess I’m not a decent human being. But hey, go cast your vote for Hillary and you can enjoy the moral high ground hat Hillary stands on as well. Hope the low tide doesn’t sweep you away.

• madarchitect
      7:47 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

No. Calling someone out for being a vulgar person is not the same as you defending a vulgar person. It’s not even comparable.

2. DonWall
    3:22 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Trumpsplosion in the comments section in 3…2…1…

3. nadroj
    3:23 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I’m also proud of Tamme for stepping up.

I think there’s a lot of ambiguity in what people are meaning when they say “this kind of talk.” I think it’s (still sadly) common for men to use objectifying language in general (speaking of “tail” or “pieces of @$$” or some such) when they talk to other men. My own experience is that this becomes a LOT less common the older I get, and (I hope) the more mature my male friends and I get.

But what Trump said wasn’t just objectifying women. It wasn’t even *apologizing* for sexual assault; it was advocating and *bragging* about sexual assault. THAT kind of talk is, in my experience, pretty rare, and almost completely limited to stupid teenagers when I was in high school. Trump was 59. So…

Anyway, three cheers for Jacob Tamme.

4. Callinstraight
    3:25 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I played college football. I heard on a regular basis much worse than what Trump said. I also saw coeds throwing themselves at male athletes on a regular basis. So forgive me if I think your friends who played college sports are full of it. Talking about sexual exploits is the most common topic in a college locker room (and my guess in pro sports when the cameras aren’t turned on).

True predatory behavior is disgusting;but a whole lot of it is consensual. This shouldn’t be surprising but young women actually do enjoy having sex and it doesn’t negatively impact the experience when the male is some well built athlete or a rich, successful businessman that can fly you to Paris for the weekend or buy you clothes and jewelry.

You may not be that way, but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think there are a lot of women who feel differently than you do. And if they are fine with it, the male involved is not a predator. Not at all.

• Saul T. Nuts
      3:29 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

This is truth, like it or not, and I don’t like either candidate.

• inside info2
      4:03 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

This.

I’m not saying it makes it right, but I am shocked by all the people that are acting like they have never said or heard this type of stuff before. It’s not like people don’t say “I’d like to kill him/her” all the time either. They don’t mean it, but techinaclly it is against the law to say it. It’s terroristic threatening.

5. onsides
    3:34 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

LA Galaxy player Robbie Rodgers disapproves? The horror!

6. Destroyou
    3:37 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Liberals/holier than thous heard “Sexual assault”

Rational people (undecideds and most republicans) heard an A-hole talk about how women let him do anything b/c he was famous (which is consent and legal.. Also completely true, which is why there are things such as that baller app to try to get knocked up by athletes). Even ignoring the extremely obvious hyperbole that he so often uses (i.e. “I know about ISIS than the generals do”).

I also find it absolutely hilarious how women always break out objectifying and in the same breathe were talking about how fine Anderson Cooper was/is (Also completely ignore male objectification, like Thor, Captain America, other various shirtless scenes in movies and how vaunted feminists who harp on this say they want to cover Thor in chocolate and then lick it all off….) Women do lewd talk in private just like men do.. I mean who bought 80 million copies of 50 shades of gray?

Trump is an A-hole. But saying mean things doesn’t equate to actual criminal action, like that of Hillary. We also know what we get with Hillary, a steady decline. Trump may/may not be Pandora’s box, but he is the only one with HOPE to make things BETTER.

• Destroyou
      3:39 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

And FYI, I do not talk about that stuff at all or engage in any of the behavior.. But I have heard it (and disliked it, though I just ignored/didn’t care about it). I understand that ppl say things that aren’t really true, and I’m not going to rush to the pitch forks over words.

• DelrayCat
      3:50 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Why do you Cons hate the constitution so much???

If Hillary had committed a crime, wouldn’t she have been arraigned and convicted? That is how it works under the CONSTITUTION you know….we are not some banana republic where you can just simply accuse a person of a crime and put them in jail just because they are your political opponent.

• 3Goggles
      4:13 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Hey DelrayCat,
      No matter what they actually decided, storing classified data, or ANY data owned by the federal government on a personal server or email account is a felony. This from former US Attorney General Micahel Mukasey:
      “…from her direction that classification rules be disregarded, to the presence on her personal email server of information at the highest level of classification, to her repeated falsehoods of a sort that juries are told every day may be treated as evidence of guilty knowledge–it is nearly impossible to draw any conclusion other than that she knew enough to support a conviction at the least for mishandling classified information.”

So while technically she is not a criminal (not found guilty) it doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be a criminal.

• sjk0000
      4:17 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

DelrayCat… it’s all rigged. She definitely committed a crime that you or I would be in prison for the same thing.

7. tWildcat
    3:38 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I also heard this type of stuff in the locker room all the time, almost everyone whose played sports has. Not the biggest fan of Trump, but this happens in locker rooms whether people want to believe it or not.

8. Ben27
    3:39 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Making too much out of this! Listen to His tone and you can tell he was not serious. What about the people who got this tape and waited to use it to their advantage? They are pretty desperate to win at all costs. If we are going to base this election on past history, then Hillary is really in trouble! Sports figures and celebrities should keep their mouths shut and hope their past actions do not come out.

9. sincitycat
    3:44 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Since I think Donald Trump is a disgusting human being I love the fact that another just as disgusting person is endorsing him: Duke Vitale’s buddy, Robert Montgomery Knight. And for you younger folks one of the big reasons Bobby Knight hates Kentucky is because we have a winning record against him and he is the sorest of losers.

• leon singleton
      6:47 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Hillary is disgusting for letting pedophiles use the little girls rest rooms and tampons in the little boys rest rooms.

10. ClutchCargo
    3:58 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I don’t actually care much for Trump as a potential POTUS, but the fake hissy fits over this are pathetic. It’s possible that both Trump and Tamme actually believe the explanations they are giving. Trump is likely talking about the locker room at most any country club, not a pro football locker room. And I’m sure the atmosphere in a NFL locker room is much different during Tamme’s career than it was back in the ’80’s and before. Remember the blowup over the Patriots in 1990? I doubt that type of behavior was somehow unique to the Patriots.

11. secrick
    3:59 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler, Please stop it. We don’t care who your voting for . Love your post, you are good but i can’t wait till this election is over so i don’t have to listen to this BS.

12. UKfanforlife
    4:07 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I prefer it when sports figures keep their beaks out of politics. But, since the can of worms ie opened up on a fan site, I might as well put in my 2 cents worth.

Hillary Clinton is a liar and has committed criminal acts. She is being protected by the current administration. Why shouldn’t she be protected, because she was working with them in the first place. There happens to be growing list of people who were ready to speak up against the Clintons, their fraudulent foundation, and other underhanded activities. Those people have all died of mysterious circumstances. As a matter of fact, if you want to shorten your life span, just go on record that you are going to make something public that has ties to the Clintons.

I will take a candidate that talks like a man on occasion and has the poor misfortune to have a private conversation released to the media. That is a far cry from the transgressions of the other candidate.

Anyone, I repeat, anyone who thinks that Hillary should be President, probably thinks that BLM is not a racist organization, that Obama supports law enforcement, and that Soros has never funded riots in American cities.

Sports figures should stick to sports, because most of them are as dumb as a box of rocks, when it comes to being manipulated by the media.

• memphis
      4:17 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah! Sports figures should stick to sports! Bankers should stick to banking! Farmers should stick to farming! Politicians should stick to politics! Stay in your lane! Don’t have any independent thoughts of your own about anything other than what you get paid to do!

13. me101
    4:12 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Doesn’t it mean anything that the front row was packed with accusers of Hilary’s husband accusing him of sexual assault and rape. If Hilary is elected he will be back in the people’s house.

14. sjk0000
    4:13 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Trump = words. Clinton’s = action. A huge difference between the two. The Clinton’s are the most corrupt and sleazy politicians of ALL time.

15. memphis
    4:14 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I like to imagine a world where schoolchildren are asked to complete these famous presidential quotes:

“Four score and seven years ago…”
    “The only thing we have to fear…”
    “Ask not what your country can do for you…”
    “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down…”
    “Grab them by the…”

• Mc12
      6:05 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I wish there was some audio of JFK’s locker room conversations. That guy was a notorious womanizer.

16. tWildcat
    4:16 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Last thing I’ll say, if someone took offense to this, but took no offense when HRC called trump supporters “deplorable”, Sanders supporters “basement dwellers”, Hispanics “taco Bowls”, and black men “super predators”, they are hypocrites.

17. Sentient Third Eye
    4:23 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Remember that Trump is, like Mrs. Clinton, geriatric. His “locker room” probably existed in the sixties or seventies. I can believe a NYC locker room in that era had such talk.

But he’s still the second-worst major-party candidate in this election.

18. BluKudzu
    4:31 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Howdid it get to this?

• UK Big Board Update
      6:59 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Idiots keep reproducing at an alarming rate.

How often do you see young professionals with 7 kids? How often do you see trailer trash with 7 kids….?

19. hdr
    4:31 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I’ve never heard that kind of talk in a locker room. Not even on a golf course and you hear about anything on a golf course. It doesn’t impress anyone. It’s not a political thing, it’s all about respect.

20. Nahforrealdoh
    4:32 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I can’t stand Trump, but Tyler, you must have the naivete of a 4 year old on Christmas morning if you think that asking your “ex athlete” male friends was going to get you an honest answer. What were you supposed to say?

Lots of guys talk like this, absolutely, no damn question. Should those guys be president? No.

Honestly, lots of girls talk like this too. Ever been to a bachelorette party? You really think girls would be above commenting to her friends on a hot guy at a bar, saying she wanted to grab him by the you-know-what and take him home?

Please.

Look, he’s not presidential, in any way, shape or form. But this faux outrage thing is getting so old. It’s a gross comment, but unless you’d berate your grodiest female friend who hits the merlot a little too hard for expressing the inverse sentiment, then you’re just doing the politically convenient thing by jumping on this particular wagon.

• Nahforrealdoh
      4:33 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Correction: “What were *they* supposed to say?”

• cats paw
      5:22 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

who the hell bought 40 million copies of “50 shades of grey”? Surely no self respecting women would think like that????

• UK Big Board Update
      6:42 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Thats the whole point: HE’S RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

Not some schmuck in a sauna reliving his glory days.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:49 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

And yeah, cats paw, we all saw that meme on facebook and twitter. Derp derp. High five yourself….

• cats paw
      7:00 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

so he’s running for prez which runs a country?? is he raising your daughter? i bet you only follow the good guys like Jim Baker or Jimmy Swaggart

• UK Big Board Update
      7:22 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

cats paw, please leave this conversation to adults and intelligent people.

21. blueballs80
    4:32 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t he say ” if your a star” they will let you do whatever they want including grabbing them. That’s feeding into the perspective that celebrities are above all that. He gets what he deserves.

22. Sentient Third Eye
    4:40 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Pro athletes are not allowed to have real opinions anymore. Every public statement they make must be perfectly PC or they will be fined. They have no freedom of speech, but I guess they are being well compensated for selling that right to their league.

23. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    4:41 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

People let Bill Clinton slide because he was so personable and likable. Trump is neither. We can tolerate bad behavior from nice people, not from a-holes.

• Sentient Third Eye
      4:44 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

So rape should be tolerated if the rapist has this mythical “charisma”? But even joking about it is wrong for those without it? And who judges who “has” it? I correctly judged Clinton as an evil snake-oil salesman six months before he was even elected.What did he do to fool you?

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      4:58 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Was rape proved?

• Sentient Third Eye
      5:04 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Joanita Broaderick’s case was past the statute of limitations, and Elizabeth Ward Gracen fled the country in terror rather than press charges, but the sexual advances on Paula Jones (and the subsequent trampling of her civil rights by Bill and Hillary) got him impeached and cost him his law license.

24. Sentient Third Eye
    4:41 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Posts were kind of down today, too. This is effectively driving them back up. Smart move.

25. madarchitect
    5:33 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

So is it a requisite if you grew up in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky to have zero critical thinking ability? I sure am glad I was more fortunate! Reading through the comments makes me understand why Kentucky is one of the dumbest states out of 50.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:56 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

I grew up in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky, yet I turned out much smarter than those weak-minded “progressive” slaves. And the kicker is, I’m not exceptional. Appalachian Scots-Irish heritage gives one a built-in bullcrap filter so we are not as easily mind-controlled as New Yorkers, for one example.

26. Cals Hoverboard
    5:34 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

He shouldn’t have said “heard in locker rooms”, should have said “heard on most rap songs” these days.

27. KYChris
    5:41 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

This is funny. My mother and I had a lengthy talk about this just the other night. Mom was in the Army in the 80’s. I was in the Navy. Nothing he said is anything we had not heard when in an environment that is all male or female. Is it PC? No. Is it the way a lot of people talk? Yes. Let’s all stop with the gasp factor and remember that this guy isn’t a politician and his popularity is because of such. Hell, to my knowledge, he doesn’t have the blood of dead Americans on his hands and never did anything with emails (which if I’d have done when I was in the service would get you hemmed up) that she has. The fact that she’s not in prison shows the political corruption in the country and truly defines why Trump is popular. He is a product of the system.

28. UK Big Board Update
    6:36 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

God damn, we have some stupid people in this state. I’m ashamed to be associated with the bigoted, racist, rednecks.

• cats paw
      7:06 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

lmao. dumbazz UKBigboard calls people “rednecks” while accusing people of being bigoted and racist

• UK Big Board Update
      10:10 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

You f*ckwits are PROUD to be rednecks.

29. UK Big Board Update
    6:40 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

How anyone can defend that piece of shit is beyond me.

• cats paw
      7:08 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

the same way you defends Stoops. we’re just stupid and dont know better! maybe if you ever played sports or got laid in school you would understand how real men think and act!

• UK Big Board Update
      7:21 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

I played on a Sweet 16 winning high school basketball team, ass hat. Good job, good effort. Retard.

The fact that YOU support Trump tells us all we need to know.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:23 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Why don’t you give me your address or a place to meet so I can beat your ass, like a man?

• Saul T. Nuts
      7:31 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Which one?

• ready when you are
      10:23 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Big board, I’ll give you both if you promise to follow through. You better be careful about what you type. Some people would love to replace your teeth with the keys you type on. Just for kicks and giggles. But mainly just because you’re THAT dude.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:30 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Why? Because I call out the idiots? That make you mad?

• cats paw
      11:29 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Your mother needs to be raped.

• madarchitect
      7:51 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

And comments like that make it perfectly obvious why you support a horrible person like Donald Trump. That’s possibly the worst comment I’ve ever seen on this website. No insult is appropriate for you, cats paw.

30. lexslamman
    7:24 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

When in the private company of a group of fellow men, topics like sex and women are often discussed. The younger the guys, the more lewd they act. I’ve heard some sick, perverted stories and fantasies, but never anything approaching assault – it’s always at least implied to be consensual. Trump’s comment was shocking not because it frankly sexual or lewd, but because he was so casual and comfortable talking about molesting women and girls. It’s like hearing that the kid at the back of your classroom enjoys kicking dogs or pulling the wings off insects, except Trump implied it himself, as an adult, and chose vulnerable human beings as his real or implied victims. Are we, as human beings, okay with that? Shouldn’t I, as a man, speak out? Even if it does happen in some locker rooms, can we at least agree that this was taken a step too far? Please? I don’t care about your politics or what a piece of wharever the Clintons are. I would like to see some consensus that we need to set a better.example for young men. I’m not worried about who you’re voting for. I’m worried about your souls. I’m worried about our culture. I’m worried about our civilization.

31. tfordstyle
    8:47 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

U hear ten times worse listening to almost any late night commedian. I had several friends say much worse in the last week. Guys say stupid things with other guys. It’s part of it unless you swang the other way. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Every straight guy who reads this knows it’s true. Grow a set, people.

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:03 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

And three out of every four comedians at Comedy off Broadway say worse, too. Even the women ones.

32. whatwasthat
    9:33 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

KSR su(&$

33. BlueDiz
    10:18 pm October 10, 2016 Permalink

Unfortunately there are many men who do joke in that manner. It is also unfortunate that HRC isn’t more concerned about the epidemic of rape, abortion and illegitimate babies that accompanies those men. A medical correction is the correct prescription for these repeat rapists. Enabling a real rapist for most of her adult life disqualifies HRC from any consideration for the highest office. Women need to be more concerned about the actions of sexual predators who commit statutory rape on a regular basis than they are about the words of some obnoxious old wind bag.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:59 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

If HRC cared about women’s rights, she would not support the misogynist boycott of North Carolina’s HB-1 law to protect women from predators in restrooms.

34. Great American
    12:29 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

Its going to be fun watching and listening to all of you cry-baby conservative radicals when Hillary wins the office and Trump slithers off into obscurity.

We’ll all share a good laugh at him later.

Remember how in love you all were for Sarah Palin? Ha ha ha what a joke!!!

Hillary is going to win!!! HA HA HA HA

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:00 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

If you actually support Hillary, then you are not intelligent enough to count. Even her own supporters hate her.

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:02 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

Research the history of the progressive movement. It’s the American version of Italian fascism. So are cheering a woman who wants to take away your rights and freedoms. THat makes you a fool.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:37 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

Yet the Republicans are ACTUALLY pulling their support for Trump…..

35. Sentient Third Eye
    8:58 am October 11, 2016 Permalink

Obviously most people did not actually listen to Trump’s remarks. Were they crude? Yes. Were they about assault? No. He was bragging that if you are a “star”, women “let you”. So he was not talking about assault, but about how easy and slutty many women are around celebrities.

READ next time. Good grief.