I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is more Lynn Bowden

I want more Lynn Bowden.

No, I need more Lynn Bowden.

Through his first month on campus, Bowden was the mysterious freshman with a world of hype but no evidence to prove it to the fan base. Coaches raved about him on signing day and in fall camp, but we didn’t know what he could do or how he would adjust to the speed of college football.

Then came the first game of the season and the story around him was about his postgame tweets, not anything he did on the field in his debut. “Played me,” he wrote on Twitter, assumed to be directed toward his coaches. “Been struggling since I got here,” he said in another tweet.

We got a small taste of Bowden’s potential in Week 2, but only on two touches before he was ejected for targeting in the first half. Prior to the early exit, he had 60 yards on two kick returns, one of which came dangerously close to going all the way for a touchdown.

The South Carolina game in Week 3 gave us a little more Bowden — three carries for 10 yards and one kick return — but still not enough to warrant too many more opportunities. However, the three snaps out of the Wildcat showed the staff’s confidence in Bowden in the backfield.

Finally, in the Florida game, Bowden really showed us what he can do. On one play out of the Wildcat he scampered for nine yards after being dead to rights in the backfield; on another he threw a 24-yard pass to Sihiem King on a trick play to set up a 1st-and-goal.

Then for reasons I’ll never understand, Bowden didn’t touch the football again against the Gators. Whatever the reason for that, I don’t know. What I do know, though, is we have now seen enough Bowden to know we need more.

Bowden’s sample size is small through four games with only nine total touches, but I don’t think I’m alone in saying give Lynn Bowden the rock. This fan right here is willing to live with whatever Bowden does. Will he make mistakes? Probably so because he’s a true freshman with very little experience. But let’s take that chance because the good in Bowden’s game looks to be much more exciting and entertaining than the bad.

More Lynn Bowden, please.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is more Lynn Bowden

1. LosingTradition
    8:59 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Agree 1000%

2. Mathlete
    9:01 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

I’d rather win than just about anything else, and if that meant running a wing-T offense forever (which almost has to be the most boring offense in football, but is effective as all hell) I’d cheer as the clock ran down.

Bowden is exciting to watch, but he’ll inevitably make mistakes that cost us games until he gets more college experience. Let’s win 9-10 games this year, go to an awesome bowl, and make Bowden the star as a sophomore when Barker’s the likely QB1.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:25 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

When it comes to making mistakes that cost us games, Bowden is the least of my worries.

• AllBlueAllDay
      9:35 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Half the time, the ball isn’t even successfully snapped to Bowden for him to make a mistake.

• AllBlueAllDay
      9:37 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Drew I’ll drink to this article. Don’t care if it’s a Tuesday morning, and I’m processing company payroll or not.

3. Wmorber2153
    9:18 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Absolutely. Why does our best player get 3 touches a game?

4. runningunnin.454
    9:23 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Bowden and King are sitting with C.J. Conrad way down on the very end of the bench…and we forget them.

5. wadl5592
    9:50 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

More Lynn Bowden and more Stephen Johnson please, now pass the wins.

6. DelrayCat
    9:57 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

The staff went into this season putting a huge bulk of the load on Bennie. We were all hyped as well to see him potentially as one of the best backs in the SEC. And now it seems people want us to throw it 40+ times a game. Which is it? Ball control with an effective run game and Bennie getting 20+ carries or spread the field and chuck it around. I think our best chances of winning are still to shorten the game and run the ball effectively.

• runningunnin.454
      10:05 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think anybody is suggesting we pass exclusively; just mix it up. Don’t run into a stacked box; don’t try to make S. Johnson a pocket passer; allow him to scramble and throw on the run. Use the same sweeps and screens and run pass option that were so effective in the 1st half.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:07 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

Both. Just don’t be predictable and conservative on every play.

Emmit Smith would struggle with our O-line, up the middle, every time against a stacked box.

• Exactly RG and C&M. We went into the prevent offense WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early and we needed to keep mixing it up for a while. That’s all we’re saying Delray. No one that I know of is saying throw it like the old BYU or Mumme.

7. luke_emberton
    10:01 am September 26, 2017 Permalink

I need some more Sihiem fricking King

8. trumpetguy
    1:06 pm September 26, 2017 Permalink

Lets see, how about this “explanation”….Uh, we got confused because we didn’t recognize that formation and didn’t account for a wide open/unguarded receiver……… X2

9. bcat
    4:58 pm September 26, 2017 Permalink

They’re never going to win.

10. Toofarfromky
    6:18 pm September 26, 2017 Permalink

Awesome, christopher walker cowbell reference