Is there anything UK can do tomorrow to make you feel better about the season?

Tomorrow afternoon, the Cats take on New Mexico State, a team ranked 121st out of the 128 teams in college football; however, after two bad losses, there is still apprehension around the Big Blue Nation. There’s no denying that Saturday’s game is a must-win for Mark Stoops, but in some ways, it’s also a no-win situation as well. Win, and, well, it’s New Mexico State. Lose, and, well, let’s not go there because my heart can’t handle it.

Here’s a question I’ve asked myself throughout the week: is there anything UK can do vs. New Mexico State to make me feel better about the season?

Let’s break it down.

Best case scenario: Put up 50+ points and shut New Mexico State out

After being outscored 72-7 through six quarters, DJ Eliot and the defense are (deservedly) taking some heat this week, to the point that Mark Stoops is stepping in and taking over some of the play calling. The best way to silence the critics? Shut New Mexico State out. Or, hold them to a fourth quarter touchdown or less.

Likewise, Drew Barker and the offense must get back on track after flatlining vs. Florida. Last season, UK put up 58 points vs. Charlotte. Scoring 50+ vs. New Mexico State with balanced attack of passing and rushing would hopefully prove that Eddie Gran’s offense is more like the first half of Southern Miss and less like the six quarters since.

Okay scenario: Beat New Mexico State by 17

As much as I’d love Kentucky to come out and look like world beaters, I have a feeling New Mexico State will put up some points. Kentucky’s defense is just too vulnerable in areas to pitch a total shutout. What’s the margin that would make me feel “okay” about the win? I say 17 points. Beat the — searching for New Mexico State’s mascot — Aggies by more than 17 points, good. Less than, critics will still chirp.

Uh-oh scenario: It’s close

If this game is closer than two touchdowns and the chirping will turn into…cawing? (Why did I go with bird sounds for this analogy?) New Mexico State ranks 104th in the country in total offense and 97th in total defense, AND they’ll be without their star running back Larry Rose III. This game cannot be close for fans to stay on board.

Light the stadium on fire scenario: Lose to New Mexico State

I don’t even want to consider this option, so please don’t make me, Kentucky.

Your turn. Is there anything Kentucky can do tomorrow to make you feel better about the season?

73 Comments for Is there anything UK can do tomorrow to make you feel better about the season?

1. Sentient Third Eye
    12:07 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Not much left to say. Mrs. T sums it up nicely.

2. RealCatsFan
    12:09 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Yep. f we win 72-7, then it makes up for the past two weeks A LITTLE BIT. If we struggle in a close game, even if we win, then fan expectations for the rest of the season will plummet even lower.

3. r-mel
    12:09 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

two words……just win

4. DACats86
    12:12 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Stop looking like the Keystone Cops meet Benny Hill. Show execution and organization, which should result in a win.

5. kycats13
    12:16 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Any thing less than a 50 point win continues the downward spiral.

6. TorpedoVegas
    12:18 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

No. Beating up on a bad team doesn’t help save the season.

7. Lip Man 1
    12:20 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Anything UK can do to make you feel better about the season?

Not really…have you seen the schedule for the rest of the season? They’ll beat a bad smaller New Mexico State program by plenty Saturday but in the long run it won’t matter…the SEC isn’t New Mexico State is it?

8. Knoxville Cat Fan
    12:21 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Heard a commercial on Knoxville radio this morning saying getting a oil change at this particular shop was as easy as beating Kentucky.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:24 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Ouch. What shop? Would love to get that clip.

• jdarren1963
      12:36 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

At least we have some bulletin board material for the UT game. Hope it helps some.

• Knoxville Cat Fan
      12:37 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Think it was Jiffy Lube but might be wrong. My ears only perked up upon hearing Kentucky.

9. Kyblue34
    12:21 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Honestly, I don’t think even a blow out win will make me feel any better at this point. It’s year four, and we’re still having to discuss whether or not we can even beat New Mexico St, much less blowing them out. That’s just pathetic! Stoops and the staff have to beat an actual quality team before I will feel any better.

10. Bluebloodtoo
    12:24 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

My personal opinion: Forget this season. take the practice time and focus on next year. Don’t even bother to game plan for our opponents this year. The whole year is practice and teaching.

• Billy Hill
      12:49 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Dumbest Comment of the Day

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:51 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

maybe, until this one above was posted.

• stoopstroops
      1:17 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

If thats your personal opinion then keep your personal opinions to yourself from now on…….idiot

• fauxbobknight
      1:18 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

there is nothing more valuable than learning from in game experiences. the offense isnt going to get any better by practicing against a terrible defense and the defense isnt going to substantially improve by going against an inconsistent and sometimes terrible offense.

• Braxton.H
      1:18 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Dumbest comment of the day

• KentuckyFootballFan
      1:20 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

2 games in and this idiot wants to call it a season.. C’mon man

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:39 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Given the results on the field in the last 2 games, I’d say the players already called it a season. Enough talk. Get on the field and give me a reason to “Believe”.

11. ukgrad83
    12:26 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would feel better if I saw all new coaches on the sideline.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      1:22 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would feel a lot better if you never commented on here again.

• stoopstroops
      1:22 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would feel better if your dumbass didn’t comment anymore

• Braxton.H
      1:24 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would feel better if I saw you never commented about UK football again….idiot

• ukgrad83
      2:34 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

You halfwits go on believing that Stoops is the answer but time will prove you wrong. Don’t blame me for just stating the obvious.

• huck
      9:48 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Did someone say something about a new coach, bring them in. I guess we overlap 83, I started in 82. We have seen this before – maybe not this bad. We have what used to be pretty good players – at least rated that way – and I think they still are. Now they can’t even tackle. What is the problem? I think it is the head coach – in way over his head. He sets the rules and parameters and they are not even close to working.

I don’t think boopsey stoopsy can adjust to his players strengths – can only coach the perfect type player and the rest is …. the players are not doing it right, if I had some players ….. imo stoopsy aint got it

12. roundball fool
    12:26 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

A blow out win is a start. One step at a time folks.

13. Sentient Third Eye
    12:29 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Maybe also keeping the NMSU rushing total in double digits instead of triple…

14. maximsm
    12:38 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Ask Bill Murray to coach

• Braxton.H
      1:25 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Although I am a fan of his acting, I don’t know the level of Bill Murray’s coaching experience and I’m not sure this would be the best hire.

• maximsm
      6:07 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

But we wouldnt be as upset if we lost

15. ukkatzfan
    12:44 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

A successful “rest of season” for most UK fans.

1. Beat NM State and Austin Peay by over 21pts each.
    2. Play the other games with a competitive spirit. Never giving up. They don’t care if you lose every game. Just compete.

16. TWhite
    12:56 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Just be efficient in all aspects of the game. And for the love of God, throw the ball to CJ Conrad.

• WillySpankit
      1:21 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Maybe for this game. Against teams with a decent pass rush, we can’t have him doing anything but blocking.

• fauxbobknight
      1:30 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

If Conrad is as good as everyone thinks then he wouldn’t have ended up at UK and he would be getting at least 4-5 targets a game.

17. symphonist41169
    12:57 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Finding out Stoops won’t accept any more of his fat paycheck until there’s an 8-win season that includes 4 SEC wins.

18. rickwhitetx
    1:08 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

A good football team should be able to blow NMSU by 7 touchdowns. Anything less is a disappointment.

19. Mathlete
    1:09 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Make NM State look exactly as inept as UK looked against Florida or the second half of Southern Miss. I’ll feel better if only because misery loves company.

20. secrick
    1:10 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Win by 30, and not 70 to 40 it has to be 37 to 7 or 30 nothing to show improvement. You know what i mean.

21. whatwasthat
    1:21 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

By god, if the raiders can win a game, so can the wildcats. UK football fans are the greatest fans bar none but I think we have seen ineffective line play on both sides of the ball and most understand this is where a decent team starts. Can the coaches magically make them play better, I don’t see it happening. I think most of the fans are just hoping for new coaches and a new AD, and being painted into a corner with a ridiculous contract with both is just fanning the flames of anger BBN is feeling right now. GO CATS. GO Seminoles, chop the tards.

22. Braxton.H
    1:28 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Has anybody seen Drew’s new car? It looks pretty nice!

23. Callinstraight
    1:29 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

A nice, crisply executed, error free game by the Cats would make me feel a bit better about the team. Wouldn’t have me feeling that we are going to be bowl eligible. But I didn’t think before the season began that we’d become bowl eligible this year. Funny how in all the preseason hype and excitement people forgot the “games are won in the trenches” maxim.

24. Big Blue Shawn
    1:33 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

UK needs to have Stoops and Barnhart line up and let the fans hit them in the crotch with a sock full of butter.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      1:36 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I get so tired of reading your idiotic comments. If you don’t support the administration and coaches, go root for someone else.

• Big Blue Shawn
      1:53 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I’m not a uk fan because I’m not a blind follower like you. You probably want Barny to give Stoops a lifetime contract. And you probably think or DC deserves a raise. Glad we have a cop like you patrolling the site, Mr. Barney Fife.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      1:53 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

OR i know how to support my team and school and not be a sorry ass loser like yourself. BUT you do have the jokes of a middle school boy.

• Braxton.H
      2:02 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

For starters Barney Fife was a deputy sheriff you dumbass. I understand being frustrated with the teams poor performance but there’s a difference between being a “blind follower” and simply supporting the team you are a fan of. Maybe if you hadn’t wet the bed and suck on your mom’s teet until you were 14 then you would understand the game of football. I’m sorry you were a loser in high school who got rejected by the pretty girl when you asked her to prom but that doesn’t excuse the fact that you’re no a good low life piece of shit who doesn’t deserve to support the greatest collegiate athletic program of all time.

• Big Blue Shawn
      2:06 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

@ Braxton, I bet you supported the last few years of Tubby’s reign of terror as well.

• Mathlete
      2:10 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

My only question – why a sock full of butter? That seems like a punishment Wisconsin would deal out.

• stoopstroops
      2:14 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

@ mathlete, great question. Must be the lack or intelligance of Shawn.

• Braxton.H
      2:16 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I’m guessing the main reason you didn’t like Tubby is because you’re insecure about your weight? Listen man its nothing to be ashamed of, plenty of people in the US are obese. I know your dad is ashamed of you and you’re probably not allowed home for Thanksgiving but taking it out on UK doesn’t seem like the healthy option (to be fair I doubt you ever take the healthy option). But I promise you man, it’ll be okay. One day you’ll find a girl who can put up with how disgusting you are and your immaturity and you’ll marry her and live out your mediocre life and I will be so happy for you Shawn.

• Big Blue Shawn
      2:22 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Nope, didn’t like Tubby because he almost destroyed the program. He got lazy, didn’t recruit and refused to change coaches. But I’m sure you proudly wear your Chubby For Tubby t-shirt while mowing around your single wide.

• Kyblue34
      2:35 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Good grief! The sunshine pumpers are back in force after being totally silent for two straight weeks. I guess we actually have a shot to win this one, though. Maybe the goal posts will even come down! Party on Euclid!! I guess I am also a horrible person for having higher expectations for our AD and coaching staff who are getting paid millions of dollars with nothing to show for it. How can the “greatest collegiate athletic program of all time” have the most pathetic football program of all time? Simple, we have some pathetic fans like KentuckyFootballFan and Braxton H., and many other sunshine pumpers who really have no clue about football and just want to criticize other fans for wanting a winning program, which even an idiot can see we are not going to have as long as Barnhart and Stoops are here. So congrats sunshine pumpers, you should be so proud of were our football program is today!

• Big Blue Shawn
      2:44 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

@ Kyblue, Amen! Thank you. God forbid we actually win 6 games every now and then. I’m sick of buying season tickets and then Watching a dumpster fire every year. Not going to another game this year and I’m not going to sell or give away my seats. I want to see the stadium empty. Some of these people are part of the problem and not the solution. They are too dumb to see it.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      2:46 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Looks like big blue shawn went and made another account so he could have some backup ( Kyblue34 ) i can’t imagine two people pretending to be kentucky fans like that on a kentucky sports site.

And (Mrs. Mr.) Moderator, how has Big Blue shawns post not been removed yet, but other have been?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:47 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I just removed some more. Doing the best I can, but I’ve got other stuff to do.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:49 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

If you all could grow up and stop mentioning parts of male genitalia in an internet comments section, that would really help me out. Thanks.

• KentuckyFootballFan
      2:49 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Thank You, Tyler. I appreciate it. Im sorry some fans act the way they do.

• Kyblue34
      3:04 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I’m convinced KentuckyFootballFan is really a UofL fan. I don’t blame you for wanting us to keep Stoops.

• BB2U
      4:03 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Big Blue Shawn: I’m interested in buying your tickets. How many, where are they located, and how much are you asking? Thanks!

25. BluKudzu
    1:42 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Get the victory first, then worry about the fan base. Give me improvement on the line and the defense. Failure to do this against NMST, doubtful thee will be anything pleasant said afterward.

26. hersheyisabear
    1:55 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Win big. That would make feel a lot better.

27. ClutchCargo
    1:56 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

This game is less about New Mexico St. than seeing solid play calling and execution by our team. Simplify things to the extent necessary and I think the perceived lack of effort will fix itself. This is a chance to hit the reset button and gain some confidence. That’s what will make me feel better, if they can do that.

28. lex cath
    2:46 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Move Kash to QB in the red zone

29. andrew88
    2:47 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would feel better if Stoops would stop saying “We’re gonna get back to work”, “We are a good team”, “We need to work harder”, and other extremely generic emotionless quotes after these embarrassing losses.

• huck
      10:06 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Yes, how about come up with a game plan that your good players can execute. – but he cannot, or he would have been doing it all ready. Stoopsy appears not to be able to identify the root of the problem and fix it, our players are good enough to do better, something is holding them back.

30. highway119
    3:34 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Score at least 40. Hold them to 10 at most. Rushing >200 to 250 to <175. Def., or Special teams score. or = 3. I would think that would show progress, and build player confidence for a winnable game next week.
    I know it seems like grasping at straws, but the ’06 team was dead in the water after being shellacked by LSU, and people were calling for Brooks’ and Barnhardt’s heads then, too. I’ve been a fan too long to quit now. #BBN

• highway119
      3:58 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Don’t know what happened to my post, but not all of it went through I think using the less than greater than was read as bracketed info.
      Let’s try this again. Rush more than 200 and keep them under 125. Pass for over 250 and keep them under 175. Def. or Spec. Teams score, and have one turnover or less while turning them over 3 times or more.

31. Rsn2GoBlu
    3:55 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Beating New Mexico State by no amount of points is going to prove anything, They are playing without their top RB and rank almost last in all standings. There is no doubt in my mind that Trinity high school could give NMState a good game.

32. Bluebloodtoo
    4:05 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

at least the entertainment value would go up….

33. rainman