Is Steve Spurrier, Jr. being considered for the offensive coordinator position?

While most of the talk about UK’s offensive coordinator opening has centered around ECU’s Lincoln Riley, there’s another name we should maybe start thinking about: Steve Spurrier, Jr. On this week’s Football Scoop podcast, Steve Roussel reported that he’s heard Stoops has spoken with Spurrier Jr., who is the co-offensive coordinator on his father’s staff at South Carolina.

“Mark has left it open, spoke with some other guys. Probably the most interesting guy I’ve heard Mark’s spoken to is Steve Spurrier, Jr.,” Roussel said, mentioning the tight bond between Bob Stoops and Steve Spurrier. We know that Mark Stoops is also close to the Spurrier family, so from that perspective it makes sense; however, Roussel said that he believes Lincoln Riley is still the frontrunner for the job. “Ultimately, I think it’s very likely Lincoln accepts that position,” Roussel said, noting that Riley still has “things going on in the profession” which may have delayed the decision.

When will we know for certain? With recruiting entering a dead period, Roussel said that he expects Stoops to “make a move this week.”

Listen to Roussel’s remarks about Stoops, Spurrier Jr., and Riley at the 41:20 mark:

11 Comments for Is Steve Spurrier, Jr. being considered for the offensive coordinator position?

1. inside info2
    11:23 am December 15, 2014 Permalink

The staff already has a verbal commitment from our next OC.

Also, the staff is not as confident that D. Harris is a UK lock as KSR and some of the other media is.

• Corder
      11:39 am December 15, 2014 Permalink

Who the hell is this guy?

• Billy Mays Here
      11:43 am December 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think anyone is as confident, even optimistic, that Damien Harris is a UK lock other than KSR staff and allied media.

2. 25OR624
    11:49 am December 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t care if S. Spurrier Jr. is a genius – or if can get me into 2nd Coming for free – he’s got his dad’s DNA which means he is evil and he’s a dicker. Never trust a Spurrier.

3. Time Expired
    12:06 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

No way do you choose a co-offensive coordinator with so little experience period. UK is better than scrapping the bottom of the barre for an OC. Go big or go bigger never smaller.

• cats paw
      12:56 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Please ignore anything Time Expired says. I mean he supported hiring a head coach that had never coached a game in his life but don’t want a OC with little experience. Lol

• UK Big Board Update
      2:25 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Please ignore anything cats paw says. Anyone that cannot use “doesn’t” and “don’t” correctly loses all credibility.

• Humdittydiddycatsbyfiddy
      2:39 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

So when Mark Stoops created a championship winning defense at FSU that doesn’t count as coaching huh @cats paw? There is a big difference between hiring Mark Stoops who was the DC at FSU and a Co-OC from South Carolina. Please take your moronic comments somewhere else

4. Dusten
    12:17 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t want the Spurrier name anywhere near the program with how derisive the ol’ ball coach has been towards our program through it’s struggling years. No way, I’d rather hire the guy from Morehead or Murray or whatever.

5. Tej
    1:51 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Maybe some of the people criticizing a hire of Steve Spurrier, Jr., need to read his bio before they make their posts. He has a good resume and he’s learned under a pretty good offensive coach in Steve Spurrier. I still think we will hire Riley but Steve Spurrier, Jr., would make a good OC too. Also, I put more faith in Coach Stoops’ judgment than the critics here.

6. Juan4UK
    3:40 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Screw Spurrier, and his boy.