Is “Don’t Flinch” the new motto for this season?

Photo by Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

Photo by Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

Photo by Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

Earlier this morning, I wrote about the team’s troubling mentality in Saturday’s loss, and Mark Stoops expanded on that even further in his press conference today. Stoops was brutally honest about his team’s performance, telling reporters that no one played better than he thought they would after looking at the film and there’s plenty of blame to go around. In fact, when told that some of his players (Bud Dupree) felt the team was overconfident going into the Western game, Stoops was stunned. “We have a long way to go. Anybody that doesn’t understand that has got some issues that we need to sit down and talk about.”

How does a team that lost ten games in one season turn around and believe in itself again? Stoops said that his staff’s focus will continue to be getting his players into the right mindset and teach them to react better when things go bad:

“The big thing for me is finding the right chemistry and psychologically getting them ready to play and getting them over the hump. …I saw some wide eyes out there. We’ve got to get over that and cut it loose and play.”

Stoops noticed that after Western’s hot start, players reverted back to bad habits, trying to make the big plays instead of focusing on the small details: “When bad things happen, we need to handle it a little better emotionally.” That means teaching the players not to flinch in the face of adversity, a motto Stoops says also applies to himself and his staff during the rebuilding process.

“Bad things are going to happen. That’s not the worst thing that’s going to happen to us. …I knew what I was getting into and I know what I’m into. We’re not going to flinch.

No sugarcoating there. Nick Roush will be by with a full recap in a little bit.

15 Comments for Is “Don’t Flinch” the new motto for this season?

1. macsauce13
    1:22 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

We’re bad. Really bad. This is Joker’s team, and we’re going to have to suffer this year. If we get three wins, then Stoops did well. Folks, just hold on this year. Stay positive, stay involved, and…don’t flinch. Better days are coming.

2. JD
    1:35 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I agree with number 1. Just keep showing support no matter how we do because the recruits will be paying attention and we can’t afford to lose them.

3. Plenty of that
    1:48 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Well they will have plenty of opportunities to teach when things go bad. If he saw some wide eyes from the players vs. WKU, he’s gonna see some bug eyes vs. UofL, Bama, FL,UGA, and South Carolina.

4. Plenty of that
    2:00 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I have seen a lot of commenters post that WKU has better talent than UK. Obviously, the buttkicking by Western bears that out, but at least according to recruiting rankings the past 3 or 4 years, I don’t think that is true. So I read somewhere that Alabama State’s roster has 16 D-1 transfers. Can KSR research what the recruiting rankings of those players were in high school? I can start-Isaiah Crowell was a 5* RB for Georgia, the Thomas brothers that transferred from UK were both 3* recruits. What about the other 13? Don’t put Alabama St in the W column just yet.

5. SoCal Will
    2:10 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Not throwing any stones because this is going to be a long season regardless but the Coaching Staff “flinched” as well. Just like when Petrino bent Brooks over in their first game his game plan was almost flawless and the Cats game plan response was timid and uncertain. Brooks chose Hudson and Archer and it took Mitch several years to unload them. They were simply over matched.

6. STEVE!
    2:13 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Stoops isn’t going to sugarcoat it, and KSR should stop it, too. I was at the game, and it was a disaster. We were dominated by a Sun Belt team KSR basically guaranteed we would beat. There were no silver linings, and at times it appeared Joker, Sanders, and Minter were still running the show. I believe things will get better, but stop saying Western was a good team and acting like WE were close to springing an upset.

7. Haha
    2:14 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

It will take time to get back to wining 5-6 games a year and going to a small bowl, but lets face it this is UK football!

8. catcaptain16
    3:11 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

There is talent on this team, patients will last only so long. Players have got to make plays and listen to the coaches. I’m just a believer that things will get better eve as the year plays out. Go Cats

9. Lip set
    3:20 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

8). You don’t need great talent if you have a great coach! WE TOLD YA SO! PETRINO!!!!

10. Bobbing
    3:42 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

The missed PAT and horrible onside kick is inexcusable. But those speciatily players twitter feed is hilarious. Perhaps we need kickers, not comdians. Instead of playing pool during practice, maybe they should practice those tough kicks. You know, like a PAT.

11. Yep
    7:07 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

#2 those recruits aren’t going to decomit. Every single one of them will be playing immediately and they know it. It’s a perfect situation for them.

As far as the article, WOW!, did that kid really say they were overconfident against a team that beat them last year? I can’t wait to see what this guy scores on the NFL wonderlic test. Something tells me it’s going to cost him some money in draft position.

I feel bad for Coach Stoops. Joker left him the biggest ball of knotted up string to untangle ever.

12. Dnabb
    8:57 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

“I know what I was getting into and I know what Im into”….translation=this same team lost 10 games last year, and its gonna be a tough year. ALSO—recruits were tweeting that they “know the situatuion” and are ok with it. Guys, you can add 2 or 3 guys on a basketball team and turn it around quick, Ftball take 20 or 30 and then it takes them 2 years to get in the groove. Realistic expectations are 3 wins this year, 4 to 6 next year and a bowl in year 3. I have a rude awakening for the fans that dont understand football, UK was down, really really down and you better be ready to supprt the team no matter what this season. And have patience because Stoops has sme STUDS coming but it aint happening this year, especially with this schedule which is arguably the toughest in the country.

13. Unboltedharp
    9:25 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

It’s only the first game. Butterfly’s, jitters, mistakes all were going to happen. One game will not overcome three years of The Joker. At least this year I did not walk out of the game angry as hell, just disappointed in the loss. Good effort and they did not quit like last year. That’s the first step, playing a whole game like you care.

14. Anotheryear
    9:31 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I went to that game… A lot of people where yelling “I THOUGHT WE GOT RID OF JOKER LAST YEAR!!!” and from what I saw, nothing, I mean nothing changed from the offense to the deffense, just a lot of subs in and out. I mean for an “air rade” offense and on a 3rd and 9 we throw a 3 yard pass??? come one that’s a joker play. Deffence was the same as last year, they ran up the middle and got 10+ yards on us almost each time… We lost to a coach most of us wanted and who wanted to coach us but we go for a coach with NO head coaching experiance. Those werent his players either so you can say it because Stoops didnt have his players. We got out coached and out played, it’s going to be another loooooooooooong season.

15. BUTTKICNCOMINGOURWAY
    11:30 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

The BIRDS are coming our way and there is a HUGE BUTTKICKN coming our way.