I really like this bowl projection

With Kentucky still one win away from bowl eligibility, it’s a wee bit too early to focus on bowl projections, but this one from Brett McMurphy got me so excited I just had to share. McMurphy is projecting Kentucky to play Michigan in the Outback Bowl on January 1 in Tampa, Florida.

With Alabama presumably headed to the playoffs, McMurphy predicts Georgia will be the only other SEC team going to the “New Year’s Six” bowls (Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl). From there, here are his SEC projections:

Rose Bowl Jan 1 Alabama
Orange Bowl Dec 30 Georgia
Citrus Bowl Jan 1 Auburn
Outback Bowl Jan 1 Kentucky
Liberty Bowl Dec 30 Tennessee
TaxSlayer Bowl Dec 30 Florida
Belk Bowl Dec 29 Texas A&M
Music City Bowl Dec 29 Mississippi State
Independence Bowl Dec 27 South Carolina
Texas Bowl Dec 27 LSU
Birmingham Bowl Dec 23 Vanderbilt

ESPN’s projections have Kentucky in the Belk Bowl on December 29 at 1 p.m., but it’s important to note that the basketball team plays Louisville at the exact same time that day. That may also rule out the Music City Bowl, which kicks off that afternoon at 4:30 p.m. I doubt the TaxSlayer Bowl would want Kentucky two years in a row, which leaves the Liberty Bowl as another popular option, albeit a less appealing one.

First things first: let’s get to six. And then do our best to get to Tampa, because I wouldn’t mind another trip to Clearwater and a blooming onion.

[TheScore.com]

[mobile_ad]

16 Comments for I really like this bowl projection

1. DrSayre
    1:06 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

Texas Bowl wouldnt be bad, but I have a feeling they would prefer a West team

2. VinDatuk
    1:22 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

I wonder if the athletic department has ever conducted a survey on the impact of the UK/UL basketball game has on the amount of people attending a bowl game. Obviously the television impacts in KY would be impacted, but how many really aren’t going to attend because of the basketball game? The bowl game revenue would likely outweigh any loss in bowl ticket sales. The rivalry basketball game would sell out even if UK was playing for a national championship in football so there will be no loss there. My personal opinion, which isn’t worth a ton, is that this gets overblown. There are far more football fans than we are given credit for.

3. maximumscott
    1:24 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

It is also worth noting that the same ESPN projections have South Carolina as an Outback Bowl rep. I believe it was an analyst predicting that. I cant see how you can predict that considering we beat them, but still no respect.

4. Hona
    1:31 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

You said it best, let’s get to six first

5. TBW3011
    1:45 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

Way to much emphasis being put on when the basketball game is. That will matter very little. Likely, not at all.

6. TonyMontana
    1:51 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

I’ve seen the projections on how we can end up at 9-1, but I wouldnt be surprised to see us sitting at 5-5. But I’m hoping we can pull it off and that Florida loss is still haunting me, Geez… we could have been 6-0 right now… that would’ve been surreal.

7. jaws2
    2:42 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

As usual, we get WAAAAAAYY ahead of ourselves. We could easily be 7-5. I pray we’re at least 9-3. Please, let’s do this one at time, the rest will take care of itself.

8. CB3UK
    3:30 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

Meh, you DVR the basketball game if there is one at the same time as the bowl game we go to. Allowing a meaningless in season basketball game dictate which bowl game invite you accept is extremely unsound judgment.

• TonyMontana
      4:04 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

I would DVR the football game and watch the basketball game live.

• satcheluk
      6:33 am October 13, 2017 Permalink

Yep! I will go to the football game and dvr the basketball game. I would much rather watch football.

9. AGSlater
    4:21 pm October 11, 2017 Permalink

6-6 everyone. Only win left is Tenn. Lets be honest. We havent beat 1 decent team. Barely beat Missou