I Hate Antonio Andrews and You Should Too

andrews wku

On December 7, 2002, an 11 year-old Nick Roush watched his cousin win the greatest Kentucky State Championship Football Game at a chilly Old Cardinal Stadium. Michael Bush was the best athlete I’d ever seen, throwing 468 yards and rushing for 116 while making what seemed like every tackle on defense. Male’s 56 points couldn’t keep up with my big cousin Brian Brohm, whose 552 yards and 7 TD passes led Trinity to the 59-56 win. I had always been a basketball fan, but after watching poetry on the football field I knew that one day I’d follow in my family’s footsteps and bring home a state football title.

I took the path less traveled, opting for small 2-A DeSales instead of the powerhouse Trinity. We weren’t the most talented, but what we definitely thought we were. For the first time in my life, I was on a team that walked the talk. The day after Thanksgiving- with all of my family and friends amongst the thousands in attendance- I reached cloud nine, racking up 3 sacks, including a goal line stand, to become only the 2nd team in my school’s history to reach the State Championship. The next week was the most surreal time of my life, spending every waking minute thinking about reaching my dream; being the guy on the front of the sports section was right in my fingertips. News’ crews came to the school, we held pep rallies, every practice was the most fun practice you ever had; it’s something that to this day I find it difficult finding the words describing my high during that week. We had the school’s all-time tackler and rusher, while I was leading the state in sacks; the only thing in the way of my dream? Antonio Andrews and the undefeated defending State Champion Ft. Campbell Falcons.

Well technically one of my dreams came true, I was on the cover of the Courier-Journal’s sports page. I’m #10.

andrews state champ

The state’s eventual Mr. Football led his team to a powerful second-half comeback, shattering our dreams with a 29-9 win. It didn’t end very well either, with the shit-talking pouring over into multiple upon multiple unnecessary roughness/late-hit penalties, with our Coach nearly whooping the opposing coaches ass after he sent their All-State linebacker after our kicker (who was our QB, and now U of L’s punter). While most of you may think hate is a strong word, I respect Mr. Andrews’ ability, but he is a dream stealer. He stole mine and he took away Joker’s dream job after completing the trick play below in Overtime to Kill the Cats at Commonwealth.

If watching that play doesn’t bring up bad memories and stir up the hate in your heart, consider Andrews Public Enemy #1 next week. No disrespect to the Sun Belt’s preseason Player of the Year MLB Andrew Jackson, but if Petrino’s team wants to play above Sun Belt level Mr. Andrews has to play out of his mind. He has the potential to single-handedly make Petrino’s first WKU offense great; after all he did only come up 89 yards short of Barry Sanders’ single-season NCAA all-purpose yard record last year. Andrews receives the hate because he’s good enough to have haters. If you’re the kind of person that likes to cheer against someone, pick the target that is WKU’s only chance at upsetting the Cats in back-to-back years.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

33 Comments for I Hate Antonio Andrews and You Should Too

1. Yep
    4:08 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

A large percentage of UK fans are Western fans too. I can’t hate on Western.

2. Hey
    4:15 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

No one cares that you played high school football. Quit making it sound more dramatic and interesting than it was.

3. Fired up
    4:15 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

I hope in this game somebody sweeps the leg of that tight end that put a cheap shot on lowery after they scored.

4. Bob Sugar
    4:19 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Wow.. I hear “Glory Days” in the background…

5. Booyakasha!
    4:23 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

You used the word “shit” in your story. You’re a hack. You’re mad at him because he got Joker fired? It made me a fan.

6. Desales blows
    4:25 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Dude you played like C league high school football just stop writing about it.

7. Boogie15
    4:26 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Nick’s vagina hurts! Terrible take.

8. C'mon Bro
    4:29 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

High school is real cool, does that story get you laid?

9. Dear God
    4:31 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

I never feel the need to say anything negative about posts on here…but shut the hell up, you used 3/4 of this post to talk about yourself. No one cares about your stint in 2-A high school football.

10. old man
    4:31 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

I liked the story. The guy opened up about his playing days but I didn’t take it as him bragging or anything. His story was relevant because of who UK is playing next week. If he was randomly telling high school stories, I could understand being upset…but just let it go folks!

11. Andrew
    4:35 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Great Article Rick Noush

12. Mr. Wrestling II
    4:41 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Trash vanity piece with little point–who cares 1) that you got torched in a high school football game; or 2) that WKU and its backfield lit up a subpar Joker-led team.

Go back to the wishing well on your own time, Mr. Roush.

13. Mr. Wrestling II
    4:44 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

btw, by road less traveled, I think he means “couldn’t play for trinity”.

14. Jordan
    4:44 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Matt do you think Cal & Co. will continue to poke around with Mudiay? It seems so spur of the moment, like a knee-jerk reaction type of commitment. I have a feeling we could snag him once he realizes what hes done

15. barefootpirate
    4:47 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

I was waiting to read “I could throw a football over them mountains. If only coach would’ve put me in.” Eat a dick, Uncle Rico.

16. average fan
    4:49 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Nick Roush = Al Bundy

17. btowncatfan
    4:56 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Wow a lot of comments are dripping with venom today, although I admit I do like 16.. Haters gonna hate Nick.

18. Pat_Wren
    5:07 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Nice article Nick! LOL funny @ #15 and #16…..

19. Darren
    5:25 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

If Joker had recruited Andrews he might still have a job. I can’t hate on WKU! I love Antonio Andrew because his actions might have led to Stoops being hired!!! Nick most of you’re articles are good, but this one was garbage!

20. Ben in Chattanooga
    5:41 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

If you have hate in your heart, let it out.

21. Colts fan
    6:13 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Nick you played 2-A and was average at best. Quit living in you high school days. It was a mediocre team tht couldn’t compete with Desales when they were 4-A.
    Get a grip and quit acting like uncle Rico

22. QuitBitching
    6:21 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

It’s not AA’s fault you couldn’t get the job done.

23. Roofus Howls
    6:28 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Al Bundy did score 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High; I’m not sure our author could hold Al’s jockstrap.

24. STEVE!
    6:33 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

We should all love Andrews if he had anything to do with Joker losing his dream job.

25. kes
    7:33 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

piss on WKU and any other teams the cats play! i only have allegiance to ONE team

26. Wildcatsteeler
    8:10 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Typical hate coming from the rightwing tools. Trying to tear people down to their own pathetic level is the only way they can feel good about themselves.
    Good story. I read it and felt respect for what you had accomplished. Because I’m not an ignorant, insecure wingnut that feels threatened by everything. Just like you said, haters gonna hate.

27. questionmark
    8:47 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Not to mention the fact that FCs highschool is technically located in Tennessee.

28. the anti cat
    9:14 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

being a fellow DeSales alum who played on the 81 runner up team, I say it was one hell of a story. And yes, I will be in nash-vegas pulling for uK to win so they will be 2-0 when we play in 3 weeks.

29. TheOtherD
    9:59 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Hey Nick, Nice story. I couldn’t help but read the comments of people who never saw you play, and have no Idea what it’s like to play Football for DeSales. I have to admit they’re pretty funny considering that none of them know what they’re talking about. Then again how could they? Again great article and I still remember freezing my ass off at the state championship.

30. yeah, but what?
    10:58 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? Your cousin is Brian Brohm? Uh, you do realize he won a BCS Bowl at UL, the school you constantly trash talk, right? I don’t know what’s more pathetic. The fact that you think people give a rip about your pewee football days, or the fact that you are so jealous of your cousin that you have to spend your time writing for a site that dog talks his alma matter. Your feeble attempts at writing make BTI look like Hunter S. Thompson.

31. FeedMeSeymour
    11:14 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

Lots of douchebags on here tonight?? I can’t believe that a guy’s high school football story is this offensive to some of you. It does have relevance and it needed a little bit of backstory to help with clarity. Sounds like some of these assclowns never played HS football at all… Those memories are cherished and if you want to throw one out every now and then, go for it!

Oh and Ft. Campbell’s coach, Shawn Berner, was such an arrogant prick! Once the base started bringing in top talent (Marcus McClinton, Micah Johnson) he thought he was top dog. Couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag… He stopped coaching to sell Zija, last I heard.

32. Mr. Wrestling II
    11:32 pm August 25, 2013 Permalink

seymour’s right, the author’s reference to his 11 year old self in the third person really tied the story together . . .

did this story of young roush’s plight really raise your animus toward wku?

33. Mike
    10:34 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Stories like this are why KSR’s quality has dropped. It was not mildly entertaining, and was nothing more than someone reliving their glory days to “tell people about Antonio Andrews”. The story had nothing to do with him. It was about your illustrious high school career.

And to the commenters talking about how we are jealous and don’t know what it means to play for this 2A school, you too ought to move on with life and get out of the glory days.