I can’t do it anymore.

Saturday’s loss was the last one that will break my spirits. It was the last time I walked out of Kroger Field with my heart ripped to shreds. From now on, my expectations for Kentucky football in big games will be lower than the Cats’ win percentage against the Gators.

I’ll continue to be a fan — that’ll never change — but you won’t catch me getting too excited before any of the so-called “program-changing” games. I’ll simply expect a loss, because that is all I’ve ever seen when I get my hopes up for something special.

I’m afraid I’m not alone, too. This feeling is probably pretty common around Big Blue Nation right now. We get fired up and we get excited and we spend the entire week saying “THIS IS THE YEAR,” but it’s not the year. It’s never been the year and it may never be the year when it comes to the Florida game. I’m not even sure Kentucky has won ANY of its big games when there is so much excitement and so much to gain. The best wins are the wins that come unexpectedly (see Roark, Matt); but when we go in with plans to storm the field or do something exceptional, we leave with our heads down in defeat.

And it sucks.

Being a Kentucky football fan is a lot like being a boxer who keeps getting knocked down, but climbs back up only to be knocked down again. This time, however, we are down for the count. Throw in the towel. Stop the fight. There’s no energy left to grab the ropes and pull ourselves back up to take another punch. Leave us lying here on the mat in the puddle of our own sweat and blood. We’re knocked out this time.

The good news is the season will go on and there are still plenty of opportunities for it to be a great year for the Cats — and I hope it will. All most of us wanted through four weeks was to be 3-1, and that’s what the record says as of today.

But these big home games, I’m done getting so emotionally invested in them. I can’t do it anymore. Kentucky football is going to be the death of me if I do.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for I can’t do it anymore.

1. AGSlater
    12:41 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

You just struck a nerve with runnin gunnin and cats runnin. Not to mention big board. Right on Drew. I agree 100%. Runnin even said this loss could be a plus. Hahaha. Wow!

• runningunnin.454
      1:26 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Ki$$ my A$$, AG. I said it could be a plus if our coaches would finally realize that you can’t take the 4thQ off…the other team is still trying to score. Abandoning your game plan, and playing not to lose will get you beat every time. Maybe they will finally realize that.
      I’ll put it in language you can understand. My Dad always said, “Son, a woman wants a man whose hand doesn’t shake when it moves up her thigh”. You have to be confident…got it?

2. Ricky
    12:53 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Well said Drew, I’m right there with you. When UK settled for the field goal to go up 13 I told my wife we’d lose. We’ve seen Stoops wet his pants and do everything possible to get his punter on the field when he gets a second half lead so many times. He’s making too much money not to see the 2 wide open receivers or to sit back and let Gran call plays for 20 game minutes like he’s up 40 with a minute left.

3. maximumscott
    12:56 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Positive. Our team is legitimately good. We are 3-1 with alot of season left and still can be 8-4 or 9-3. We can even still be in conversation for SEC bc UF is not good enough to keep winning games the way they do. It hurts bc of how we lost. There is no reason to believe this team will give up especially after last years turn around.

• stOOPS
      1:01 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

We could just as easily go 5-7.

• CatesDuncan
      1:55 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

If we win our next 2 games (we definitely should), I think we could go 8-4 or better

• notFromhere
      9:01 pm September 26, 2017 Permalink

Keep preaching mascott, even if they are too young to understand the words and the game

4. LegggoooCats
    12:59 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Drew, I already felt the way you do now, before the game even started. I had plenty of family and friends claiming “this is the year” and I wanted them to be right SO F’N BAD!!!!! However, I just knew that somehow This Is Kentucky Football would find a way to screw things up and lose. Up 13 to start the 4thQ, get the ball back after Florida goes panic mode on 4th down in their own territory, and we still can’t find a way to win… I’m tired of the heartache.

5. You Can Call Me Cal
    1:18 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

PREACH. I literally think the pain hit my immune system so hard I immediately started developing a cold as soon as the game ended.

6. Miller45
    1:32 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Seriously unbelievable we are still at a loss for words, heart broken for the players

7. chris43
    1:33 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it better! It happens every single time and you end up getting your heart ripped out of you. Gave up 14 points on TWO WIDE OPEN UNGUARDED ROUTES, then when we were driving the two huge sacks hence leading up to missing a long FG, stupid penalties, and the damn high snaps. I’ll always be a fan but I’ll do my best to never get hyped up for a UK football game again. I do know one thing for sure….if there’s a way to lose it….we can sure figure out the way to do it. Lead the entire game and looked great…..27-14 in 4q……allowed them to score twice while we did NOTHING! Oh yeah….I even forgot one….huge INT that should have “almost” sealed the game…what do we do? Follow it up with a quick 3 and out. Smh 😡😡😕😕👎🏻💩

• Cat68
      9:29 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I agree Chris43! The quick 65-second 3 and out rendered the INT meaningless. Should have been business as usual for us, foot on the accelerator, and so forth. As it turned out FL had no reason to worry. I want to hear more aimed at Gran! Come on coach help us out here! UK doesn’t know how to kill clock, so quit it already. I also want to hear more aimed at the OL coach. What gives? All mostly veteran guys up front and SJ is in total hurry-up mode! Just awful. More stupid penalties too…and yes it was a hold, i don’t care when it occurred. We have to be better. And smarter. The worst, besides the 2 unguarded TDs, was the juke move on two of our guys to get a first down. No open field tacklers. I’m with Drew…just done!

8. Miller45
    1:35 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Love KSR by the way, you all are great

9. Miller45
    1:59 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Where do we go from here

10. Angelo
    3:02 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I wish I was as rich as Stoops. I wish I was as smart as Stoops…

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I wish you were too. I also wish you’d quit posting the same exact thing repeatedly like a broken record.

• Rabbi Li
      3:18 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

This is Mark’s ghost account. He and KD shared trade secrets last week.

11. JohnWoo
    6:51 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Fool me once, shame on you…Fool me twice, shame on me…Fool me thirty-one times…..Well then, I must be a UK Football Fan.

12. Rabbi Li
    8:05 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Drew, you chug whatever batch of Kool-Aid you mix up each morning.

Today it’s, “I’ll never… BLAH BLAH BLAH.” In 2 months if this team wins one of their other big games you’ll flip like a Vegas Boxing Judge.

13. Howdy Doody
    8:13 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Drew, YOU led the charge for the hype, now YOU know how the rest of us people who pay for our seats feel every season. Yeah, UK beat loserville last year, so what ? #31 to Florida just plain sucks.

14. Loganville Cat
    8:27 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Don’t drink and post, it’s unbecoming.

15. BluKudzu
    8:30 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I doubt, if we could not get it done with this team, we will ever get it done with this coach. 5 of those 31 belong to Stoops. How many belong to Barnhart?

• EdC
      9:29 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

And we have a winner. All of them.

Barnhart’s greatest accomplishment in football was convincing UK fans that a guy who won 45.5% of his games is great. So great he should be in the UK hall of fame. To this day you’ll see posts about Brooks being a great coach … 45.5% gets you fired everywhere but UK and Vandy.

Out of his 3 coaching hires that was the very best he could come up with. An over the hill guy that no other SEC team would even think about hiring. Since then his idea is to hire 1st time head coaches out of the bargain bin.

Unless Mitch’s job is on the line based on being truly competitive in SEC football this won’t change. We have SEC caliber facilities now. How about a coach that other SEC schools would like to have? Hell how about one that other SEC schools would even consider hiring since we haven’t done even that.

• Rabbi Li
      3:20 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

17 Belong To Barns h i t.

16. UKCrewser
    8:54 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

And, you’re only 30………

17. Cruginator
    10:37 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

GOOD COACHES DONT MAKE YOU FEEL THIS WAY>>>>

BAD FOOTBALL IQ

18. catfanintx96
    11:28 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Oh get over yourself. That was a heartbreaking loss for sure. Players played their heart out, think how they feel! Cats were the better team, it wasn’t a fluke that we were winning and that is the difference of this game and the last 31 years. We screwed up in the 4th quarter and I’m sure the coaches and players will learn from this game. We are going to have a great season! Go CATS!

19. Luke95
    1:01 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m with you 100%, Drew. I graduate in December. I was a freshman when Wisconsin happened, and as bad as I thought that was, I’d take 100 of those to have this game back. This was likely my last chance to see Kentucky do something special during football season, and I’m not going to get that because we can’t recognize when a receiver is lined up wide open next to our head coach.

20. bluebew
    6:07 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

This is all 100% coaching. These guys recruit well and get kids to play well to a point but just can’t handle big boy tasks like game, clock, and stress management when the chips are down. These coaches robbed our players and the fans of an important program win. Stoops has mismanaged game situations over and over and over.

This staff needs to go. They’ve hit their ceiling.

21. Alan Miller
    6:25 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Really guys? Yea i agree they shouldnt of did what they did in the 4th qt….. But its fans like you guys…… Yall are the reason people hate kentucky fans. Those boys played their hearts out for us….. And this is how you repay them??? Makes me disgusted….. Ive been a uk fan since i was 10. Always supported them NO MATTER WHAT! Win or lose i stayed a fan. If this is really how you guys feel maybe you should go to Louisville…..

22. hweathers
    6:56 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Hey, the bandwagon will be by later this season to pick y’all up.

23. Alan Miller
    7:13 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Hw your exactly right. Love em when they win…. Ready to quit and give up when they lose

24. njCat
    9:00 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Drew is right. He’s just young so didn’t learn this lesson long ago. Anyone who has been a KY football fan for a while knows to expect them to blow games like this. Always have, always will.

My advice… expect the worst and let them surprise you – like UL game last year. That was unexpected, and a lot of fun.

Getting your hopes up for big games is just inviting crushing disappointment.

25. MAYS24
    10:55 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Leaving receivers wide open is not shooting yourself in the foot. It is closer to shooting yourself down the throat. Not to forget the 11th player jumping off the sidelines the last minute in an earlier game. Stoops has too many assistants with some making really good money without delegating this responsibility?
    Nevertheless, I disagree on the firing of Stoops talk. I have been through a no win and one win seasons along with a lot of 2 win seasons. Stoops has us 7-5 last year, with record recruiting. real progress developing players, has built depth and has shown us continuous improvement under his leadership. We have a very good football team that fights with all their heart and soul. If the man would just delegate some responsibilities and hold those accountable there would be less humongous mistakes. We could still go 5-7 if this sort of thing keeps happening.
    Odds are it will get fixed and EMich, Missouri, Vandy and OleMiss should be wins. I expect a win against Tenn or Miss St. That is 5 more wins. If we fall short any of my above wins then we must make it up with Georgia or Louisville. This team has the talent thus shown to win 8. Unless we have major injuries less than 7 wins is a disappointment to me.