How will you define this season a success?

For most of the past decade, the main goal of UK Football has been to make a bowl game. It took Mark Stoops four years to achieve the goal and for the first time in awhile, it leaves us asking the question on whether fans can realistically change their end goal. For years, fans have been ecstatic when the team finally reaches the six win plateau and of course this past season was no different.

While the trip to Jacksonville didn’t end the way most fans had hoped, it was still the end of an era and the start of a new one. It was the end of accepting a trip to Birmingham for a bowl game, Mark Stoops showed what this team can do and now fans are readier than ever.

Can this team win the SEC Championship this year? Maybe not, but they could sure make some noise in the SEC. It does lead me to ask this question, am I insane? Is a bowl game still enough for you? Or did last season give you a new definition of what success could be this year?

Here are five things I want to check off the list to let me call this coming season a success:

Winning Game One

While this might sound like a very basic answer, I think that getting off to a good start this season is more important than ever. The Cats cannot afford a slip up in week one, even if that means escaping with a three point win. On paper, Kentucky is much better than Southern Miss and while they shouldn’t play with the mentality that they are better, it is something that needs to be preached. A big win is a key week one.

Beat Florida

Do I really need to say anything else? It has been too long. There really isn’t anything else to say.

Win Eight Games

It has been 10 years since the Cats have been able to pull this off and I think that this season is their best shot yet. If you look at the schedule below, unlike most years, there isn’t a game that you can immediately rack up a loss. Does this mean I am saying that they can go undefeated? No, but eight wins is more than possible.

Beat Louisville

UK Athletics

This isn’t necessarily a key for this season to be called a success for me, but wouldn’t it be fun?

Go to another Good Bowl Game

This should be a given goal for Mark Stoops and company. A bowl, like the Tax Slayer Bowl, should be a goal every season, but soon enough we could start looking at other top-tier bowl games. A trip back to Jacksonville or to Nashville for the Music City Bowl would bode well for me.

So there you have it, there are the five keys to a successful season for me. Go ahead and let me know how wrong I am in the comments section below or on Twitter @GormleyKSR. In the meantime, I will leave you with a simple question, how many WINS does Kentucky need for you to consider this season a success?

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

6 Comments for How will you define this season a success?

1. JTHinton
    2:43 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

TaxLayer/Gator Bowl > Music City Bowl. Better bowl would be Outbsck Bowl, or any of the old BCS Bowls

• Sam Gormley
      2:47 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

I agree with that, but the major plus side to the Music City Bowl is the proximity for Kentucky fans. More fans would get to experience it.

• Eazy
      5:34 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

I think the Outback Bowl would be the best. Last time we went in 98 UK had 60,000 fans there. It was crazy. I would love to go back.

2. evilcarl
    3:45 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

Folks picking more than six have never been a fan of Kentucky football. Let’s take baby steps as a fan base and appreciate going to back to back bowls before we demand 7 or more wins to be a success. Enjoy the progress and journey of building a program.

3. CatesDuncan
    3:54 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

I just hope uk gets another bowl game

4. MAYS24
    4:30 pm July 30, 2017 Permalink

Please do not send me to Twitter when I try to vote. Based on wins only I would say 7. I remember too many below 5 win seasons. That makes me conservative and figure I had best be happy just holding serve. I would be satisfied with 6 wins If two of them were two of – Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia. 6 wins would be acceptable if we just beat all the teams we are supposed to be better than. That would be Southern Miss, the two small schools, South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. I would be happy with 5 wins if we either beat Louisville again or beat Florida. Yes, I am that desperate in wanting to beat Florida or Louisville 2 straight.

I look for other measurables to make me happy. You learn to do this with a no win or one win season. What was the D line on a 1 to 10 scale last year? I am guessing a 2 or 3. Just give me a 5 this year.

Offensive line maybe a 8 or 9 last year. Without Toth I would be ecstatic with an 8. Running backs based on other UK teams would be a 10. Without Boom and the South Carolina killer(Kemp) I would accept an 8. With Steven Johnson just cut the fumbles in half and raise your completion percentage up 5 %. Receivers last year I would give a 5. I want a 7 here. Linebackers I would give a 8 last year and would settle with a 9 this year. Corners and safeties were a 6 and a bit of a disappointment for me. Edwards and the two corners need to give me an 8 this year. Aside from place kicking special teams were poor. I would give them a 4. I would like to see a 7 this year.

Some big offensive plays with running backs, quarter backs, receivers, and returners could make me not care as much about the win loss record, The same goes with interceptions and sacks. To lose once by ten and the other losses 7 or less would make me pretty satisfied. Blow out one really good team like Louisville, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee would give me so very much enjoyment.