How much time will Kash Daniel miss with a fractured hand? “Not one play.”

After a relatively clean game on the injury front, Kentucky fans held their breath a bit when starting linebacker Kash Daniel worked his way to the locker room for x-rays after suffering a hand injury on a crucial fourth-and-one stop.

The tests reportedly came back negative and Daniel came back in with his hand heavily wrapped and then played the majority of the second half. Despite fighting through it, the UK Sports Network team reported Daniel was still dealing with severe pain, leading him to sit out Vanderbilt’s final drive of the game.

Though the school announced the initial x-rays were negative, Mark Stoops didn’t necessarily ease our worries about Daniel’s availability going forward at the podium during his postgame press conference.

“We’ll take a look at it, do some x-rays, see what we got to do.,” Stoops said.

When it was Daniel’s time to give a health update during his media availability, the veteran linebacker actually announced he fractured his hand on Kentucky’s huge stop on fourth down.

“I broke it,” he said. “Well, fractured. However you want to put it.”

The fourth-and-one play resulted in a tackle for loss for Daniel, followed by a forced fumble and a fumble recovery by the Cats. It may have resulted in quite a bit of pain, but it was a major momentum swing in Kentucky’s favor.

Daniel broke down the sequence, saying he heard his hand “pop” when he fought through on the tackle for loss.

“There was one yard to go, so I saw a C-gap open up and I shot it,” he said. “(Quinton Bohanna) did a great job getting off his block, coming in and hitting it. I don’t know who knocked it loose, but that’s the play I broke my hand on. I was trying to go in and then I heard something pop.”

When asked about how long the injury will keep him out, the junior linebacker gave the most “Kash Daniel” response imaginable.

“Not one play,” he said. “I’m clubbed up, ready to go. I’ll be playing next week.”

With Kentucky set to take on Missouri’s high-powered offense, Daniel will be an absolute necessity for the Cats next week.

And luckily for us, it sounds like he’s ready to give it a go.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

13 Comments for How much time will Kash Daniel miss with a fractured hand? “Not one play.”

1. Kat4Life
    9:34 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

Hoping he heals up quickly.
    I love Kash but Oats is actually pretty much his equal…..we’ll be fine.

• friendsofcoal
      9:45 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

We need Kash’s attitude on the field…he keeps things fired up to say the least!

• CATandMONKEY
      9:53 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

We need both.

Heal quickly.

2. Kat4Life
    9:54 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

Agree with that…..the soul of out defense most games. My point is how strong Oats has been every time he gets on the field. He is an All SEC talent before he leaves Lexington.

3. davis2319
    11:22 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I love having Daniel’s leadership and attitude/persona on the field. However, if Chris Oats gets more snaps we will be fine! Super athletic with great instincts. They actually pair well together. Daniel is a run stopper and Oats is more of a pass defender (coming off the edge, dropping back into coverage).

4. michaelb
    11:24 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

Kash is mostly run support . Oates’ coverage and speed makes him handy vs our next match up . No pun intended , not trying to be punny.

5. KentuckyFan232
    11:32 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

CAST DANIELS

• henderblue
      12:20 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

I say clone him. He’s our defensive heart and soul.

6. wyatts1
    11:37 am October 21, 2018 Permalink

He is one of if not the most important player on our loaded defenses. I’m surprised to see the comments above acting like we would be ok without him.
    #justsaynotodrugskids

• Kat4Life
      12:56 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Not acting…..Chris Oates will be playing on Sunday one day while Kash is shooting hogs in Breathett County. Kash has heart and is very talented…..Oats is a guy that would normally end up at Ohio State or Alabama. Love them both, but don’t think for a second that Kash is materially better on the field, he’s not.

• Kat4Life
      1:18 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Hell…. while I’m at it I may as well offend all my eastern Kentucky brothers. We actually went backwards against A&M when Kash entered the second half. He was completely lost of a number of plays that cost us at least one score. Good at all the face paint, screaming and WWF stuff and the mugging for TV and fans….but let’s not turn him into another Josh Allen. He’s a really good local talent who emotes his way into our hearts. A football John Hood.

• lex cath
      2:12 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Just say hey I’m a fan of Oats and like him more than Kash, while you’re at it can you get the media to add subtitles to Oats comments on on TV and video please ?

7. KYFAN4LYFE