Gunnar Hoak will transfer to Ohio State

Former Kentucky quarterback Gunnar Hoak is heading home.

The Dublin, OH native announced on Twitter this evening that he will be transferring to Ohio State to close out his college football career.

“I would like to formally announce that I am excited to accept an offer to continue my football and academic careers at THE Ohio State University,” Hoak said. “Ever since I was born at OSU hospital, some aspect of my life has always involved scarlet and gray. … And while I have gained so much experience during my time in Lexington, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to continue a family legacy.”

Hoak’s transfer leaves the Kentucky quarterback room looking rather worrisome. Outside of starting quarterback Terry Wilson, there are zero players at the position with game experience at the Division I level.

Walker Wood and true freshman Amani Gilmore will likely compete for the backup position while injured quarterback Nik Scalzo recovers from his torn ACL.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

62 Comments for Gunnar Hoak will transfer to Ohio State

1. ky1988
    8:36 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Welcome new age football Ohio State gets Kentucky left overs.

• mashburnfan1
      9:31 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

He is not going there to play, he is going there to be 15 minutes from home. It does not affect our backup QB situation as if we had to depend on him we would have been in big trouble. I’d rather see what the new guys have as they are probably a better option. Hoak seems like a good kid but I never understood why we recruited him. He was bad vs every good team he played, very bad in fact.

• Rixter
      11:38 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

He’s already graduated. If he wants to be close to home, why doesnt he go.. you know.. HOME?

• DavidP19
      10:59 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

Looks like he will fit in fine there. He is already doing the typically stupid ohio State things ( referring to school as’ THE’ Ohio State and then refusing to use the letter M in ‘coXing hoXe’ .) Soon, he will lose the ability to say the word ‘ Michigan ‘, referring to them as TSUN (that school up north) Later, he will fall in line with the other lemmings there and eliminate the color BLUE from his wardrobe. Good riddance!!!

• imabucket
      11:35 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Ky1988,I love your comment but the rest of replies on your thread need to show some respect or at least some class . Seems to me you know diddly squat when it comes to football . Hoak was a valuable piece to our team and I’m pretty sure when called upon, he delivered . He pushed Terry to get better over the offseason and I’d say half of the fan base ( me included ) would of loved for Hoak to get more minutes . I wish the best for hmm and truly believe he will prove the doubters wrong one day . His accuracy was amazing and would of been a better fit in a pass first offense .

• BLUEsky
      7:06 pm April 29, 2019 Permalink

Ditto imabucket. Best wishes to Gunner. Was hoping that he would get a chance to get some serious PT but guess that was not meant to be. He seemed to me that he is the type of player that would excel if given a chance to settle in to an offense. People forget that Tim Couch was not a good practice player, by his own words.

2. wildcatlove4life
    8:36 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

We will be OK…let’s all keep positive about next year & Keep this awesome momentum going. I’m so excited we have 8 home games next year! Go Cats! SEC here we come!

3. Trueblue44
    8:44 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

According to Nick R, this means Wilson is gonna suck. Meanwhile, in the real world, Wilson will be just fine

• thatCat
      9:26 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Cause Roush is the worst and should find a new career path

• ukkatzfan
      11:47 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

I like Nick when he does football. They should give him a raise and keep the radio crew away from ever projecting about the football team.

4. My Dixie Wrecked
    8:45 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Ohio State has the 8th highest ranked QB ever ranked by the recruiting services. Hoak knows he’s not going to beat him out of a job. Yet, being a backup at Ohio State is far greater than being a backup at Kentucky. At least he has a chance at a Championship. Go Gunnar!

• ky1988
      8:51 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

He might fields is overrated that’s why he isn’t at uga

• Glock
      8:53 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Only one snap/injury away from playing time….long season

• TB112162
      9:33 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Your stupid

• My Dixie Wrecked
      10:00 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Hey TB112162. The word you’re looking for is “YOU’RE”. You may also say, “you are”. However, I’ll bet you are from the mountains, where just spelling any word correctly, is a victory.

• friendsofcoal
      10:42 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Dixie cup, I bet you won’t come up in the mountains and talk like that. Just always remember that the mountains made Lexington what it is today. Obviously, you don’t know very much about the state of KY.

• ukkatzfan
      11:50 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

I got us for another 10 win season. I doubt OSU beats that with this new coach.

• ukkatzfan
      11:51 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Wasn’t meaning to be a reply. Was meaning to be a comment. Oops

• mashburnfan1
      9:34 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Dixie, show your stupidity. He is from there, like a stone throw away from OSU. He is simply going home and not worrying about football. They will over recruit him 5 times in the next 2 years but they are in desperate need of a QB on their roster as most jumped ship when Fields got there.

• mashburnfan1
      9:35 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

And the Suckeyes have no chance at a NC the time he will be there.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      9:55 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

The Suckeyes have a far better shot at a NC than UK. 100 times over.

• Rixter
      11:41 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Have you seen the benches at OSU? They are some kinda plush. Heated, with a massage option.

• imabucket
      11:45 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

@friendsofcoal I doubt dicksee is even from KY and I myself am from Lexington and don’t know anyone who thinks that way of those iin eastern Kentucky or other places in the mountains. So don’t pay the trolls any attention

5. Bluebloodtoo
    8:52 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Can’t blame him. Hope they get somebody some reps in an early season game.

6. runningunnin.454
    8:52 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Meanwhile, in other news, Zack Thompson throws a masterpiece.

• shepdog3720
      8:58 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

A top 5 pitcher in NCAA baseball this year. If he’s healthy last year, we had a serious chance at Ohama. But he wasn’t healthy and the season ended as a dud.

• mashburnfan1
      9:36 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

That was awesome, complete game and no earned runs on the road vs a great offense.

• runningunnin.454
      9:51 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Yep, 3 hitter; and, Florida averages, I think, 7 runs/game. His other complete game was against another offensive powerhouse, Georgia.

7. Gocats30
    8:52 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Y leave to be a backup elsewhere?

• My Dixie Wrecked
      9:35 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Because OSU>UK

• jamburgey22
      10:20 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Y’all are entering dark days Dixie. OSU has a broken program with an inexperienced coach. Buckle in the next couple years are gonna be rough! BTW we’ve only just began to out recruit you in your own state.

8. Trueblue44
    8:57 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Hometown team. Can’t blame the kid. Backup situation either way so live out the final year at your home and dream school. Best of luck to him

• channell
      9:14 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

I believe he has two years of eligibility

• Rixter
      11:42 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Might as well be 6 years of eligibility left.

9. gacat123
    8:58 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Good luck Gunnar!

• krautdog
      9:43 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

AMEN! Hope he gets an opportunity to beat Stoops in a bowl game!!!

10. mapcatfan
    9:03 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Well that stinks. He goes from my absolute very favorite team to my absolute LEAST favorite team. ?

I wish him the best regardless.

11. Smyrna_Cat
    9:29 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

“Walker Wood and true freshman Amani Gilmore will likely compete for the backup position …”

Who else would it be?

• Realme
      11:41 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Scalzo or Bowden.

12. TB112162
    9:35 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

He won’t even be the backup at Ohio State

• mashburnfan1
      9:39 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Right, his official title will be clipboard holder or possibly signer as he may help send signs in to the actual players. He was never that good, not even in High School vs good teams. He did put up big numbers vs bad teams.

• Le Docteur
      10:02 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

These are your worst fears talking. I seriously doubt a perennial top 5 team like OSU would take a QB they think is the piece of shit YOU think he is. If he plays and plays well at OSU, it means he got screwed here. And that would kill you. Have fun rooting against a kid who did nothing to you.

• TB112162
      11:32 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Really he will be one of 6 Quarterbacks at Ohio State if he has to play we might see them in a bowl game

• binarysolo
      10:28 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Mac Jones carved out a nice gig for himself at Bama holding the clipboard and coaching the powder puff team. Maybe Hoak wants in on some of that action at Columbus.

13. Wade
    10:09 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Danny Clark was the better option and no one saw that I guess… bye hoak

14. makeitstop
    11:13 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

There’s no good way to frame this. He’s a capable QB. OSU thinks so. He’s seasoned and played well in the spring and gave us a solid backup which is what they see him as. Make light of it if u will but if Terry gets dinged up in a game we are in deep shit and that means the play calling will feature Wilson running less, which is his best asset. Losing him AND Clark hurts… where did Clark go and can we get him back?

• TB112162
      11:29 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Hoak is not a good QB no loss for UK

• makeitstop
      11:34 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

TB, Hoak is not a starting QB but he’s good in relief vis a vis other options. Apparently OSU agrees. It’s not tragic but it’s not helpful and if something happened to Terry it would be season destroying. Maybe they recruit Danny back??

• CombatMedic_98
      8:40 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

True!

• imabucket
      11:49 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

100% Agree makeitstop

15. TB112162
    11:28 pm April 27, 2019 Permalink

Hey Dixie you are stupid is that better

• Matt10
      7:26 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

That’s a run on sentence because of your lack of punctuation. Gettin’ closer, though. Lol. 😉

16. chrislarkey
    12:06 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

2 things

1. If you can’t play at UK what the heck makes you
    Think you can play at OSU

2. If you don’t think OSU will recruit over you and play other QBs your also crazy

17. cats646
    12:57 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

Lol thank God!

18. jarred_combs
    3:48 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m glad him and his cuckoo dad are gone. I’d rather have a scholarship and chance to develop another player. They never even said osu is giving him a scholarship. He may go walk on just to be near home. He stares down the receiver, isn’t athletic or accurate, he had multiple chances last year to come in and he threw one decent pass, after the other team dropped a pick six, now everyone thinks he’s great. He’ll never see the field for the rest of his collegiate career unless he gets drastically better, which I hope he does, is never want someone to miss their dream. But the people acting like this is a big deal are smoking something and know nothing about football. Look at any of his film and try to show any consistency. Good luck Gunnar.

19. cathatter
    7:23 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

Stoops – this isn’t over…..til its over.

20. Kat4Life
    9:36 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

He will get about as much field time there as I will.

21. Larkin123
    10:17 am April 28, 2019 Permalink

He is going home…

22. KYCat4EVER
    1:39 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

I like it! Thee OSU gets our backup QB….

23. imabucket
    11:52 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

What iin the hell happened to Kentucky Wildcat fans. I’m new to the comment section but dam. What happened to bleeding blue . You guys are so negative that it’s sad that you all have to feel that way towards a kid that gave us his all while here . I feel bad for you

24. imabucket
    11:56 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Also . Those giving Hoak no hope of being the backup quarterback are delusional . You must remember that Ohio states dam near whole receiving core are FIVE STAR RECRUITS. Hoaks game is about accuracy and quick decision making . And if you’ve actually watched the games , you can realize that he leads his receivers the ball to where they don’t have to slow down to catch it . Just wait . He will get his chance and I can’t wait to remind you miserable ass people about it .