Gunnar Hoak will meet with the Ohio State coaching staff

On Tuesday morning, Kentucky quarterback Gunnar Hoak announced that he would be putting his name in the NCAA transfer portal.

Tonight, it is being reported that the junior quarterback will be meeting with the Ohio State coaching staff.

Hoak, a Dublin, OH native, lives just over 15 miles away from Ohio State’s campus in Columbus. With OSU quarterback Matthew Baldwin entering the transfer portal last week, there is an opening at the backup QB position for the Buckeyes next season.

After Hoak entered the portal on Tuesday, Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops told reporters that “it’s not a done deal” that the junior quarterback transfers from the program.

“Gunnar and I had a great talk yesterday. He’s a great kid and as I told him, he really had a good spring. I told you all that after one of the scrimmages that he really played well, as good as I’ve seen him play. I think you understand that because he’s a competitor and he wants to play. It’s not a done deal that he’s going to go somewhere else. I think he’s going to look at it and just check his options and I told him we would have another discussion about it at a later time and we’ll see where that goes. Just want to be supportive of him and his decision but it does put us in a situation where we’re a little thin.”

He will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play immediately should he decide to leave.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

34 Comments for Gunnar Hoak will meet with the Ohio State coaching staff

1. crazycatfan65
    8:19 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Not enough playing time here for him but he feels like he’ll get playing time behind Justin Fields? He wont see there field there at all, sorry.

2. Memphis UK Cat
    8:29 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Give me a break with Ohio State.

3. TreyTingle
    8:36 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Enjoy more sitting kid. I hate seeing kids transfer but you can’t blame the coaching staff if you don’t separate yourself in camp. If he was better than Terry he would’ve been playing. Good luck to him!

• Nugget01
      9:31 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

He probably realized that it would be a much better experience sitting on OSU’s bench than Kentucky’s. You know, 100k+ people in the house watching you sit on one of the most prestigious benches in cfb vs (maybe) 45k watching you ride Kroger’s bench. Can’t blame him.

4. Larkin123
    8:43 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Its just to get his name out there…

5. Smyrna_Cat
    8:47 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Strange.

• notFromhere
      8:55 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Anyone else think it is weird that he gets to meet with other coaching staffs while he is in scholarship here, as opposed to just talk with the coaches? Seems quite a bit odd.

6. notFromhere
    8:51 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Still dont want to see him transfer, but if he does, we have to move on with some class.

If Terry has no real backup available next year, the offense will not take the leap it needs to take. They will run Terry less and that means that defenses can load the box and pin their ears back (get after him all day long). Then the Cats would have to pull their TE out of the pattern to help block, and people will be complaining about that position not getting touched again.

7. BBNDan7
    9:00 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Can’t make it at UK but will at Ohio St? Yeah okay lol

• Nugget01
      9:33 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

OSU has much nicer benches. Easy decision.

8. binarysolo
    9:06 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Obviously he’s not gonna get any playing time.

My theory: he wants to get into coaching so he’s gonna go be a practice player, so he can be a grad assistant after, then work his way up. At the school he dreamt of playing for growing up.

9. makeitstop
    9:09 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I like Gunnar and hope he stays. He could get his chance w one bad slide, one missed block. That’s the way it works. But man, if he goes to OSU and ends up playing we are going to look… not smart. That would suck. I trust our coaches know what they see… but part of me can’t help but remember when Fran Curci passed on Phil Simms telling him he was “too small to play big time college football.” I know, UK football PTSD but I’m not alone.

• notFromhere
      9:20 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Well, Phil does suck as a broadcaster, so

• mashburnfan1
      10:01 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

well if you saw him play in High School you would know that against good teams he had awful numbers….not bad numbers, I mean awful numbers. He showed nothing at UK in what time he got and what little I saw in practice, and obviously what the coaches saw, to prove he can play major D1 ball. Who knows, Brady sat forever and became the GOAT so maybe Hoak could as well. But to this point he has shown nothing, I was surprised we even recruited him after seeing some of his High School game numbers. Big numbers vs bad teams but terrible vs every good team played.

10. cats646
    9:16 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I honestly would trust Armani Gilmore over Hoak. See ya Hoak, thanks for that one drive where you threw an easy touchdown pass. Have a good life kid.

• truebluefootballfan
      9:28 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m with ya

• mashburnfan1
      10:04 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

yep, the one drive vs a bad team that was in a prevent trying to get to half. After halftime he could not move the team vs them at all. I saw him practice at fan day and even on warm up routes and throws he would miss the wr badly. I would rather go with either FR as a backup.

• Le Docteur
      11:01 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Prevent? Hoak was being blitzed on that one lucky play (you know, the one that got us back in the game against that horrible horrible team). Watch the tape Chief. Hoak took a wicked shot after letting go of the ball.

• Miller45
      11:45 am April 26, 2019 Permalink

8th graders all over America complete passes and take hits when being blitzed…

11. Le Docteur
    9:19 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Hoak and OSU are idiots. OR Ohio States offense is better suited to Hoak and Hoak would rather be one play away from playing in a hugely dynamic offense that dismantled top 5 defense Michigan last year. No, no you guys are right. Hoak blows and OSU is too stupid to know it. Because we have Terry Touchdown or Touchdown Terry.

• CatfaninCinci
      9:59 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I love good sarcasm

• mashburnfan1
      10:07 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

He played HS ball almost a stone throw from the shoe, OSU did not want him then. What has he done at UK for them to want him now, they are just desperate for a QB on the roster since they had like 3 leave up here since Fields came in. Plus will be a bit easier in the Big {however many teams they have} than the SEC, not much but a little easier. He would only play via injury and recruited over next season anyways.

• truBLU
      6:04 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn, the new coach is an Urban Meyer guy but it’s still a new coach. New coach, new regime.

12. Jesus H. Chrysler
    9:28 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Maybe they need a holder for PATs

13. notFromhere
    9:28 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

There is no question that OSU should be able to switch gears easier from what Fields runs to what they would need to run with Hoak at QB. They have tons of talent that they’ve under-delivered with for decades. Some pretty good walk-on depth most schools would like to have, too.

The coaches here have helped him get better, but he still needs work on his reads on the option plays (even Wilson does) within this offense. Only question is which is easier for him. Whether he does well at OSU or not, is still apples and oranges compared to UK.

14. zoupman
    9:50 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Gunner is a good QB. I hope he stays st UK. He is needed.

15. CatfaninCinci
    9:57 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never seen anyone this worked up over a backup QB. Must not be much faith in Wilson. If I’m Gunnar, I’d transfer too. If he wants to ever play anywhere he has to.

16. makeitstop
    10:39 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Just ask Jalen Hurts, once ur passed over ur washed up. Wait… hmmm well ask Tom Brady. Or Aaron Rodgers, or Nick Folwes. Look, I’m not saying he’s any of these guys. They are one in a million. But isn’t that ever kids dream? Back up to star? Just one crack at it… if they don’t believe that could be their story we really don’t want them but I think that’s what keeps them pushing through two a days. They don’t believe the bloggers that say they can’t make it. That’s why Alabama fills rosters w 4-5 star kids. One break. Let’s try and keep this kid and if he’s needed great and if not he’s a grad assistant w a degree.

17. KYCat4EVER
    10:53 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

HOAK and the BIG PRE-TEN-ED CONFERENCE in the same sentence???
    Good Fit!
    He belongs there!
    See ya HOAK!

GO BIG BLUE!

• Skooms
      5:01 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Yet if it was a basketball player, you’d blame Cal for the transfer. Hypocritical much?

• StillBP
      7:19 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

wtf is PRETENED? You are so corny. You should do us all a favor and transfer to another team’s message board.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      8:59 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

StillBP – you came to a Kentucky site and expect people to know English?

18. beezyblue
    11:32 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

If he wants to be closer to home, I respect that. If he thinks he’s got a better chance to play and prove himself at OSU, he’s delusional. Surely he just wants to be closer to home……