Gunnar Hoak enters name in NCAA transfer portal

Gunnar Hoak will look into other options for the final two years of his college football career, announcing on Tuesday that he will enter the NCAA’s transfer portal.

“After much thought and consideration, I have decided to put my name in the NCAA transfer portal,” he tweeted. “With graduation coming up next week, I knew I had an important decision to make for my future including my football and academic careers.

“I would like to thank Coach Stoops and the UK staff for understanding that I need to see if there any other options for me at this time in my career.”

Prior to UK’s spring game earlier this month, Mark Stoops said, “Of course I want Gunnar here but I’ll be very supportive of him in whatever he decides to do.”

As a graduate transfer, Hoak will have two years of immediate eligibility.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Gunnar Hoak enters name in NCAA transfer portal

1. 4everUKblue
    9:42 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Best of luck Gunnar, BigolSlaterMedic will be heartbroken.

2. StillBP
    9:43 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

BoB is going to cry when he reads this.

• makeitstop
      10:00 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

U mean FakeKyCat? He’ll hv to change wigs and get out his “stoops can’t coach/Gran is stupid” talking points, for a refresher.

• StillBP
      10:10 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

LOL!

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

I wonder if he shook hands with Bear Bryant. I’m sure we will hear all about it if so.

• CatfaninCinci
      4:07 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

BigOlBlue hates Cal, Stoops, Mangione, Mitchell and any other coach who coaches UK.

3. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    9:44 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Now we need to hope that Terry makes it through the season with no injuries.

• ClutchCargo
      9:55 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Better yet, we need to hope somebody steps up to become a capable backup. Injuries are pretty much inevitable.

• J-Dub421
      10:14 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Someone bubble-wrap Terry Wilson.

4. RackEmWillie
    9:50 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

He appears to be good enough to start at a lot of schools, so he should have no lack of opportunity.

5. makeitstop
    9:52 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

I don’t read that he’s leaving… I read that he’s interested in hearing options. If he gets the keys to an offense where can get exposure, it looks like he’ll leave. If it’sno better than his current “principle back-up” role, I expect he’d stay, like the kid we wanted at Miami. He’s a good QB, u need 2 in the SEC and there’s no other good option if Terry takes one bad shot or one awkward slide. We ought to be encouraging him to stay but wouldn’t blame him if he was my kid from exploring options.

6. Dark Soul
    9:52 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

This is going to be a season of getting experience for all these young guns. Hopefully Terry gets through injury free but if he does get hurt at least one of our young quarterbacks get some reps.

• makeitstop
      9:57 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

The kid from Ft Lauderdale is good but coming off an injury and the one from Louisiana is talented, but sure would like to see both get a redshirt to learn the system. We’re going to hv to score a lot more w our secondary shaky and hard to do that ur first year in a system, as we proved last year mid season.

• Kernel Sanders
      10:37 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

The new redshirt rule implemented last year could really help us IF Touchdown Terry gets hurt, at least if it’s not a season ender. If we need to play either or both of the 2 freshmen, they can play up to 4 games without losing the redshirt year. Seems like the last couple years we have been in such close games we have been unable to play backup QB’s to get them experience. I get that Wilson needs all the game reps he could get last year, but hopefully Walker Wood, Scalzo and/or Gilmore will see some PT this year.

• notFromhere
      11:20 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

^^ very good point. Saving me from having to say it, and people from reading it twice

7. bcp426
    10:01 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

I hate to hear this, but I understand his decision. Best of luck to him, and I’ll root for him wherever he ends up!

8. TonyMontana
    10:10 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

When you quote players can you please not leave random words out of their statements? It makes it seem like they don’t know proper grammar. This occurs often on ksr… Proofread it at least once. Or just use a screenshot of their press release if you’re not capable of transcribing a simple paragraph.

9. Good luck to Gunnar except for any game where he might play us. Like someone said, wrap Terry in bubble wrap. I hope we can at least have some early blowouts of non-conference teams and get some reps for the younguns.

10. katfan33
    10:24 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Horrible news

11. chrislarkey
    10:24 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

How can he already have graduated with such a short time. Are we just doing it the Carolina way and giving them all fake classes or grades to them to hurry and graduate
    I thought it took about 4-5 years to graduate and take 18 hours a semester

• KayutsBy90
      10:49 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Normally its 4 years of 15 credits a semester because you need 120 to graduate. But a lot of the football guys are coming in after graduating HS in December plus most of them stay around during the summer and take classes.

• notFromhere
      11:25 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

3×30 at 15 hrs/semester + 3×6 summer =108
      If a kid comes in a semester early, that’s 120 hours

12. Sentient Third Eye
    10:26 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

I’m a big Gunnar fan and wish him the best. I do wish he had made his decision earlier so spring practice could have focused on more getting reps for other guys, especially in the spring game where it’s real game action.

13. Paw
    10:36 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

Gunner Be Blessed in all you hope to achieve, I really wish you would have gotten more Reps here!

• krautdog
      11:45 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

AMEN!

• CATandMONKEY
      12:11 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

This is the sentiment of ignorance .
      If he was good enough- He would have got the reps.
      If he was good enough, Stoops wouldn’t have brought in 2 JC QBs in 3 seasons.

• ClutchCargo
      1:47 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

True, C&M. I will never understand those fans who believe that Player X wasn’t given a chance. Coaches are trying to win games and will play the players who give them the best chance to do that. To think that there is some hidden agenda to bench a great player is silly.

• 4everUKblue
      2:17 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

100% correct C&M. He had just as much opportunity as any of the QB’s.

• notFromhere
      11:28 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Gunnar has never said he should have won the starting job. This spring was the closest the competition has been. He’s a good kid and I hope he stays, but he wont be given the job to stay if he hasn’t earned it.

14. Big Sexy
    11:53 am April 23, 2019 Permalink

I guess we are definitely going to be stuck with Terry Wilson. I hope he makes me eat my words but I doubt it. I know the football ignorant fans are going to say “he lead us to 10 wins including a New Years bowl win”. That’s like saying Trent Dilfer lead the Ravens to their 2000 championship.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:17 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

I see one football- ignorant fan.
      Wilson wasn’t an Air Raid QB but gave us more chances with scrambling than we would have got from a mediocre pocket passer. He was our second best RB.

As Matt said – we didn’t win because of TW but he helped us to the best record in 40 years.

I was on campus during Couch’s last season. Great QB. Nice bowl game. We still pretty much sucked much of the time.

Do you really think Hoak was going to play even if he stayed?
      Hoak is doing what is best for him.
      He has talent but with his feet and so-so passing he was NOT what this team needed last season.

15. cats646
    12:51 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Gunnar sucked.

16. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:04 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Fakeky4slatersbigoblueballsmedic just emailed his team’s coach and said get this guy now. Also could you get me a date with him in the upstairs part of my house. I’m not allowed out of the basement and I’m definitely not allowed out of the house. People might see what inbreeding does after countless generations of it. I’m to ugly to be butt ugly.

17. Jesus H. Chrysler
    2:08 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Ohio U here comes Gunnar

18. Paw
    4:42 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Trolls and haters

19. Wildcat homer
    6:36 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

I wish Gunner the best

Hopefully he can find a spot where he can get playing time

20. notFromhere
    11:18 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Its disappointing but understandable. He’s put in his time, graduated, and wants a chance to actually play football. There are places he can get PT.

I know he’s going to get PT this year, if he sticks around. No way Terry is gonna go all year without getting hurt.

Looks like we’ll need to work the new guys into game ready veterans in just a few weeks.