Mark Stoops has Kentucky playing its best football in a long time. The Cats are riding back-to-back seven-win seasons with a second and third-place finish in the SEC East in each of those years. This year, Stoops says he has his best squad yet.
Against the spread, though; Stoops isn’t doing so hot. In fact, Stoops has the worst record against the spread of all college football coaches over the last five years.
Best ATS record over past five seasons
1. Baylor’s Matt Rhule: 39-22-0 ATS
2. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell: 36-21-2 ATS
3. Wake Forest’s Dave Clawson: 37-23-1 ATS
4. Duke’s David Cutcliffe: 36-23-2 ATS
5. Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck: 30-19-0 ATS
Worst ATS record over past five seasons
1. Kentucky’s Mark Stoops: 24-36-0 ATS
2. Arizona’s Kevin Sumlin: 24-35-1 ATS
3. East Carolina’s Scottie Montgomery: 6-17-1 ATS
4. Hawaii’s Nick Rolovich: 6-17-1 ATS
5. SMU’s Sonny Dykes 19-29-0 ATS
If you’ve gambled on Kentucky, you didn’t need me to tell you that. But a win’s a win and Stoops has been doing enough of that the last couple years. Hopefully he’ll do even more of it in the months ahead.
Moral of the story here: Don’t bet on UK to cover.