Great Moments In Steve Spurrier History

spurrier-history

Steve Spurrier. The Head Ball Coach. The Ol’ Ball Coach. Steve Superior. The Visor-Wearing Thorn In Kentucky Football’s Side.

Spurrier’s been beating Kentucky up since 1990. He won his first 17 career games against the Cats, before Randall Cobb’s squad rallied from a 28-10 halftime deficit in 2010 to finally put one in the win column. UK stole another one last season, but it’s still been a very lopsided affair with Spurrier over the years.

This Saturday, Kentucky will look to make it three out of the last six against Spurrier’s Gamecocks, and 20-3 against him overall. No matter how the game goes, you can go ahead and bank on Spurrier being Spurrier in the postgame. For years he’s made snide remarks at the Kentucky football program. And for years we’ve sat back and taken it, sometimes with laughter.

I, for one, am a fan of Steve Spurrier, despite the hell he’s put me through as a Kentucky football fan. So tonight, as we get closer to what may be our last time seeing him, I’d like to celebrate all he has given us over the years.

Here are the Great Moments In Steve Spurrier History…

After destroying Kentucky, 65-0, in Bill Curry’s final season in 1996, Steve Spurrier said, “These sort of games don’t prove very much. All it proves is we’re better than Kentucky.”

“They were padding their stats and I decided we were going to pad ours.”

Trailing Spurrier’s Gators in the second half in 2000, a freshman Jared Lorenzen picked the Florida defense apart, racking up 360 yards on 59 pass attempts in the game. Then with under a minute to go and a three-touchdown lead, Spurrier called for a bomb, rather than taking a knee to end the game. Rex Grossman hit Jabar Gaffney for a 43-yard score with five seconds to go.

Afterward, Spurrier defended the play call, saying, “I guess they’re upset about that pass. Well I called it. If there’s 1:13 left, would that have been any nicer? They were padding their stats and I decided we were going to pad ours. Because ours were sufferin’. If Kentucky wants to be mad about it, we’ll be up in Lexington next year, and they can do something about it then.”

spurrier-punter

“Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that.”

Winning 54-3 and holding the Cats to 96 total yards just wasn’t enough for Spurrier in 2011. He had to stick it to Kentucky in his postgame press conference, too.

When asked about the game in his press conference, he said, “Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that.”

“We could have picked up 70 or 80 points today,” he added. “But 50 was enough.”

Kentucky attempted several onside kicks in its 55-28 loss to Florida in 1997, leading Spurrier to say, “If I had a defense like Hal Mumme has, I would be trying them on every kickoff.”

“We’re all happy they didn’t put that running quarterback in there, Randall Cobb.”

Kentucky needed a two-point conversion to force overtime against No. 25 South Carolina in 2009, following a 70-yard scoring drive to cut the Gamecocks’ lead to two. Randall Cobb ran for 64 of those 70 yards, including the two-yard TD with four minutes to play. Then, for reasons unbeknownst to me, Cobb did not get the ball for the potential game-tying conversion. No, backup quarterback Will Fidler threw an incompletion instead.

“We’re all happy they didn’t put that running quarterback in there, Randall Cobb,” Spurrier said after the close win. “I’m glad they didn’t use him the last possession because we were in disarray there. We couldn’t tackle him.”

spurrier-clemson

In the summer of 2007, following UK’s win over Clemson in the 2006 Music City Bowl, Spurrier seized the opportunity to get another dig in on the Cats. He told reporters at SEC Media Days, “We thought we had done something good beating Clemson. And then Kentucky beat ’em.”

“You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University”

Kentucky isn’t the only school to be on the receiving end of Spurrier’s Spurrierisms. He’s been dishing it out his entire career, to anything close to resembling a rival.

One of his best came in 1994, when he said, “You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University”

The comment was making light of recent accusations against Florida’s rival, Florida State.

In 2012, the Southeastern Conference expansion moved Georgia back a few weeks on South Carolina’s schedule. The game had been played on the second weekend of the season for 10 of the previous 12 years.

When asked about the change, Spurrier said, “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

“Can’t spell Citrus without UT.”

Back in the day, the Citrus Bowl was designated for a second-choice team from the SEC. Tennessee was Spurrier’s SEC East rival at the time, and he poked fun at Phil Fulmer and the Vols’ back-to-back appearances, saying, “You can’t spell Citrus without UT.”

He also said, “I know why Peyton Manning came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP.”

“The scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

Spurrier even took a shot at the Crimson Tide when talking about recruiting around the SEC…

“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama. Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

“…But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn’t been colored yet.”

Spurrier used an old joke to poke fun at Auburn while talking to Florida fans. He told them there was a fire at the Auburn football dorm and 20 books were destroyed.

“… But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn’t been colored yet.” spurrier-ass

Love him or hate him, the man has given us so much.

(And in Kentucky’s case, mostly losses.)

To Steve Spurrier!

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Great Moments In Steve Spurrier History

1. Kevin. Clark.
    8:25 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Steve spurrier is a brick i can’t stand him i thought. It was hilarious when nebraska drill them in championship game.

• just say'n
      8:43 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Goodness son, were you drunk when you wrote this?

• SCCat
      8:51 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Just say’n – that comment got me weak as hell

• Rise
      7:21 am September 11, 2015 Permalink

Mississibbi State

2. SCCat
    8:54 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

there is a fantastic pic of Spurrier at Darlington with no shirt on drinking Coors yellow bellies, and someone from KSR should grab it and post it with this synopsis –

dude is a dick, but he has whipped us for years and doesn’t pull punches. gotta respect game.

• Done did it
      10:42 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner ^

3. Eat Mor Chikn
    8:57 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

There are legions of great photos of this ridiculous man.

Here’s one of my personal faves:

4. Kevin clark
    9:24 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

If towles has any overthrows i hope he knocks that visor off his head

5. Duck Fuke
    10:26 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Honesly. The beat downs he put in us in the 90s hurt, hurt a lot. But if you look at the numbers, he is the closest thing we have to bear bray ant coach_wise. He is top 4 in the SEC right now. And that says a lot. I respect him and actually like the guy. But let’s make it 2 in a row! GO CATS

6. At one time I couldn’t stand Steve “Superior”, and I still can’t say I’m a fan, but now I just have to laugh at his quips. He’s entertaining. It wasn’t entertaining when he was hanging 70 on us though.

Drew, he also once called Ray Goff Ray “Goof”.

7. crackercracker
    11:10 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

My favorite Spurrier comment: Know why Spurrier wears the visor? To keep the foreskin out of his eyes

8. Cock
    11:31 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky in town is a sure win. Cocks by 21+

• Derpi-Wan KaDerpy
      2:00 pm September 11, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, some of your fans sitting behind us at CWS last year were saying the same thing….

You should have seen the sadness in their eyes when we all celebrated in their faces. 😀 😀

9. seriously
    11:43 pm September 10, 2015 Permalink

I can’t hate Spurrier for stating the truth.

10. Auntie Em Effer
    6:01 am September 11, 2015 Permalink

Drew, spermier is a tool. If you were old enough to suffer through the below game/stat, you will know better than to like/admire/respect the tool.

1994/09/10

Florida 73 – Kentucky 7

• CATandMONKEY
      8:35 am September 11, 2015 Permalink

Wasn’t it up to our defense to prevent that amount of scoring?
      Dick move, agreed but this isn’t Pop Warner league.

Still take Spurrier over Petrino. Far more integrity and honesty from the former.

11. The Rest of the story
    8:59 am September 11, 2015 Permalink

I still think he looks like Larry the Dr Pepper guy.

12. DACats86
    9:36 am September 11, 2015 Permalink

A national treasure. Will be a sad day for football when he hangs up his whistle. Also, there’s a reason why he ran the score up on those Curry-led teams. Know history.

13. OldKentuckyShark
    6:34 pm September 12, 2015 Permalink

What the hell people? Is this a South Carolina site or a University of Kentucky site? The whole lot of you need to move your asses down to Columbia. Screw Spurrier. Look up prick in the dictionary and that dudes picture is next to the definition. A “class act” coach doesn’t run HB passes late in the fourth quarter up 21 or bombs up 28 because he’s butt hurt the team he’s been destroying didn’t just roll over. Do I expect his team to keep playing? Yes, but there’s a time an a place for certain things. Also a man of ‘integrity” isn’t so classless as to jab a team he just destroyed. There is no excuse for his lack of respect that he has shown wheter it be Kentucky or any other team, how anyone besides a Duke, Florida, of South Carolina fan could like him blows my mind. The same fans base that bemoans Bobby Knight smacking Joe B Hall on the head is okay with Spurrier and wants to hold hands and sing Kumbahyah at his retirement party. You all aren’t Kentucky fans. More importantly you are terrible football fans. Probably the same bunch that is hit the bricks 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter last week. Spurrier once refused to say Tim Couch’s name. Post game in 98’, “We let #2 throw it around and look like and All-American, gotta improve our defense”. That dick refused to ever acknowledge anyone, same as how he acted about Cobb. And this was despite them beating Couch’s team by about 21 that night. If we beat them by 75 tonight it wouldn’t be enough, and I won’t miss that SOB one second when he’s finally gone. Its only fitting that he gets to wallow in mediocrity as his career ends.

14. issel 44
    6:49 pm September 12, 2015 Permalink

AMEN old shark screw that ass .