Kentucky’s abysmal offensive performance at Missouri had Eddie Gran fired up after Tuesday’s practice.

“It starts with me, as always. We’ve been here before. We’ve had this conversation and you wanna have a perfect game every game. I wasn’t very good. I didn’t have them ready to go,” he said.

“The responsibility lies on my head as always when it comes down to it. Our guys are going to play better. They know. What we did, we came in, we got our mistakes corrected and today we had a lot of juice, a lot of energy and I was really excited about how they came out and approached this practice.”

The offensive coordinator’s explanation for the egg laid in CoMo reflected the sentiment shared by Mark Stoops on Monday. The team just didn’t have enough “juice” to go out there and compete at a high level.

“It’s about getting guys ready to play. This is an NFL schedule. This is what it is. It’s ten games. You’ve gotta buckle your chinstrap. You gotta grind as a coach. You gotta frickin’ make the adjustments quick. You have to have a mindset. We had a mindset a week ago in that second half (at Tennessee). It was really close in the first half and we started to see something.

We just didn’t have the juice and the big men lead the way. It starts up there. It was everybody, okay? It’s not just one thing, but I can promise you as I talk to the o-line, they know and they want it on their shoulders, they do. They want it. We’ve gotta be better there. We’ve gotta be better at a lot of places but we get better there, we’re going to be just fine. I’m excited about the challenge and so are they.”

After mentioning the offensive line, Gran was quick to point out that Kentucky’s passing game could not do the basics. The Wildcats completed just 4-of-13 passes, accounting for 47 of the 145 total offensive yards. It is SEC football and it is a NFL-like schedule, but you can’t turn pitch and catch into rocket science.

“When you don’t get ahead of the chains, when you throw a ball and get an incompletion, you throw another ball and get an incompletion — we started the game off with three passes, one bad read, you fall behind (the chains) and that’s not our cup of tea. For it to be and if we have to, we’ve got to throw and catch and protect better.”

He added, “If you can’t throw and catch and you don’t have our meat and potatoes, it’s not good. It’ll be a long day.”

The offensive line did not open holes on early downs. The quarterback and pass-catchers could not connect. It was an all systems failure. This week the Wildcats cannot afford to get better, especially on early downs, or it’ll be another ugly Saturday in the BBN.

“We’re not making first downs. We’ve gotta start faster and we’ve gotta be better all around, everybody in the unit, coaching, everything.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for Gran Shoulders Responsibility for Offensive Woes, “We just didn’t have the juice”

1. blueballs80
    7:26 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Why did you start with 3 passing plays. You know it’s not the strength of this team that is run heavy with a qb who is not very accurate.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:37 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

The poor game had NOTHING to do with starting the game with 3 straight passes. It’s not like if we had started with 3 straight runs we would have won.

• bigbowdennation
      10:20 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

Of course it did. Not saying we would have won otherwise but it got us off to a poor start. Going 3 and out with 3 failed passes killed our first possession, killed are qbs/wrs confidence, and killed any bit of a pass threat that Missouri’s defense had to watch out for. From that point they could sell out against the run and when we had a chance to complete a pass terry or the receiver usually choked. Not saying that’s ALL because of how we started that game, but it certainly set the tone.

Had we started out giving the ball to Rodriguez I highly doubt we would’ve gone three and out, and it possible would’ve opened up some more friendly passing scenarios for terry or gatewood as well.

2. StuckinLville
    7:38 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

The juice? I think you mean the right play calls and getting away from what has worked for the last few years.

3. Stop Hammer Time
    7:46 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

I wish he would have taken the Georgia job. Then maybe we would have a chance to win this week. Remember when morons on here were bragging about him turning down UGA? Haha.

4. Papaw
    8:06 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Saying “we just didn’t have the juice” doesn’t sound anything near him shouldering the blame

5. Bigblu30
    8:14 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

ESTABLISH THE RUN OUR RBS HAD 15 CARRIES

6. Irememberharrylancaster
    9:00 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Not having an offense hurt also……

7. Ryan Lemonds Toupee
    10:28 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Same old “coach speak.” Man TF up and do ur job Eddie.

Here’s something u’ll understand: If the juice ain’t worth the squeeze, we’ll get new a new friggin’ orange

8. clarks
    10:29 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Wr not good enough to get open without help as a whole, we needed to get them leaning toward run to catch them off balance so they could get any space. The 4 for 15 or whatever ain’t opening up nothing to give em chance. I have tried to give gran the benefit of the doubt last few years while everyone around me piled on him but we was winning. That said he called an offense that reminded me of Morgan newton against one of worst passing defenses in sec for the tune of approximately 50 yards, while bama can hit that on first play of game. We dont respond in big way and I’m through with gran but that doesnt mean I will ever give up on my cats. If it looks that bad sat it’s time to hire passing game coordinator like LSU had last year and let gran work exclusively with the run game where he has done pretty decent but couldn’t even do that last game.

9. truebluefootballfan
    10:59 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

That’s it I’m going in to work tomorrow and not doing a dang thing. When the owner ask me why we didn’t do our jobs I’m gonna tell him “I just didn’t have my guys ready to put metal on today” I mean it works for that moron so why not

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    1:05 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

“…or it’ll be another ugly Saturday in the BBN.“

That’s an understatement. If we play that way this Saturday the Dawgs will beat us by fitty.

11. jaws2
    5:52 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

And Chris unlike Stoops GA will TRY to win by FIFTY!!!!