SEC

SEC

Terry Wilson did not participate in Tuesday’s Kentucky football practice. Offensive coordinator Eddie Gran revealed the quarterback missed his second straight practice with an unspecified injury that was described by Mark Stoops as “minor.”

“Right now Joey (Gatewood) and Beau (Allen) are getting the majority of the reps,” said Gran.

When healthy, Wilson has been Kentucky’s starter for the last three seasons. That was put into doubt on Monday when the depth chart was released with an “or” next to his name and Joey Gatewood’s. The Auburn transfer took snaps in three series Saturday at Missouri. Even though he did not stuff the stat sheet, Gran liked what he saw from Gatewood in a limited capacity.

“I thought he was good. He looked comfortable,” Gran said. “I liked his eyes in the huddle. He’s got a little bit of the Stevie Johnson deal, you know? He, it just doesn’t faze him. He was excited and I wished — we had a drop ball for the kid. The reads… two reads he could’ve made a little bit different, but he made two reads that were really good. For his first go at it, I was really excited for him and I’m excited about where he’s going right now from yesterday and today.”

Stoops said on Monday he wants his quarterbacks to be more precise on their reads in run-pass option plays. When I asked Gran what he wants to see from the quarterbacks, he had this to say:

I want to see it first in practice. I want to make sure that we give them, first of all, us as a staff, we give them enough looks to where he’s comfortable making that read and then if it’s not, I’m taking it out. If we’re not making the (right) decisions at the end of Wednesday, game’s over. If I’ve got seven plays to call, I’m calling seven plays, but by God we’re going to do it fast, we’re going to do it well. It’s not going to be sloppy and it’s not going to be something where we can’t make a read. That’s what I’m really concentrating on right now and I’m putting the pressure on those quarterbacks to make sure they make the right reads and the guys on the outside are doing the right things.”

If the Kentucky offense hasn’t mastered each play by the end of tomorrow’s practice, it won’t be a part of the gameplan. If Terry Wilson isn’t practicing Wednesday, it leads me to believe he will not be playing for Kentucky on Saturday against Georgia.

If neither Wilson or Gatewood is ready to roll Saturday afternoon, Gran said he’s confident true freshman Beau Allen could hold his own against one of the best defenses in America.

“It’d be a tough first start, you know what I mean, getting in there against a defense like this, but I do. You know, the one thing about Beau, Beau studies it,” Gran said. “Yeah, is it different out there, especially against a defense like that when things are rolling, but I do have confidence in Beau. I think anybody, any coach or coordinator talking about first guys that start or anybody that’s using a new quarterback, you gotta try to protect them and make sure the stuff that he’s comfortable with, we call.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

28 Comments for Gran assesses quarterback competition as Terry Wilson misses second consecutive practice

1. brainesman
    6:02 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Eddie, Stevie Johnson to us is not Stephen Johnson. Get your Steve Johnsons straight

• SuperTroy18
      6:10 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow. Very true.

2. BigBluSoTru
    6:04 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

The J-Gate era begins we are now complete and ready to copete with Bama,Ga and Fl for the East and the SEC.

• WKY Cat
      6:16 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Easy. I agree Wilson isn’t getting it done but don’t see us competing with those teams. Maybe FL.

• Bluehender
      8:22 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

He’s a troll WKY…

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:53 am October 29, 2020 Permalink

Bigblu’s daddy had butter fingers. Poor kid got dropped daily.

3. jack8291
    6:05 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Rumors are flying that Terry is about to opt out …

• CatfaninCinci
      6:34 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

If he does, my bet is Roush submits his resignation to KSR.

• blueballs80
      7:47 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Where are you getting your rumors from? Please share with us all.

• Perry1987
      10:34 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

I could see this happening. I will forever be grateful for what TW has helped UK accomplish and the hurdles UK has leaped over the years hes been QB #1. The Florida and Tennessee streaks…..bowl games. A win over Penn St…… I know he wasnt the only one on the team but without him who knows what the past few seasons may had held.
      With that said though, since his injury last year the kids just not been the same. Add that to the constant scrutiny hes under, the COVID situation especially considering he just became a father and has a child to protect and look after now. Joey Gatewood nipping at his heels for the starting job, I personally could see TW opting out. Somethings just not right with him this year. I cant recall a worse offense at UK in my lifetime, and theyve had some bad ones come through. I know its not all TW but it definitely starts and ends with him…….but i will forever be thankful for what hes helped UK accomplish!

4. Bluenblood
    6:10 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Not worth a comment

• blueblood80
      11:42 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes. TW is not the player from two years ago. Half a step slow and poor decisions on the run pass option. With a newborn, I don’t blame an opt out. He will never make a dollar playing football. Get that degree and be a great father Terry. This is just a college football game that we fans just try and get a little enjoyment and pride from. Unfortunately, this year is a disappointment. I hope the team doesn’t quit, like Tennessee did.
      THANKS Terry Wilson. At least I got to witness in person the biggest football accomplishment in over 40 years: a 27-24 victory over Penn State in the 2018 VRBO Citrus Bowl!

5. Duuuuuude
    6:19 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

If the receivers can’t catch the weight of the offense should be on the running backs. If that is the case, not sure moving to Beau is going to work.

6. Ry Robison
    6:27 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

As long as Eddie Gran is the OC at UK, the QB conversation is a pointless one to have. He has no clue how to get Terry in a rhythm and it appears they have 0 plan whatsoever when it comes to their strategy at the QB position. With that said, I think Gatewood is the better player. In 3 years as a starter, Terry really hasn’t showed an ounce of improvement if we’re being honest. But our staff doesn’t know how to coach the QB position anyway, so it doesn’t matter. Go Cats anyway!

• Bluenblood
      7:13 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

True that

• Irish son
      7:52 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

We have to have the worst staff in the nation for QB development. They seem to be able to develop other position players, but not QB’s . And that falls entirely on the position coach

7. dcforuk
    7:26 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Not sure how I would feel if (1) my record as a starting QB at UK was …….what…….14-6 maybe, (2) I started the game that broke the Florida losing streak and (3) I started the game that broke the @TN losing streak……….AND……….everyone was hating on me.

• Bigblu30
      8:51 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

He aint the only starter on the team who played in those games. If they were playing bad and had a former top 5 recruit at that position then people would be ready for the back up too.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      8:14 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

So sick of this argument. The ends don’t justify the means.

• _lilman_
      11:01 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

AMEN

8. UoKFB PHAN
    8:53 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Most people are throwing Gran under the bus and understandably so. But as for QB development, that is primarily the job of Darin Hinshaw. I agree with some of the other posts about TW’s lack of development since 2018. This might be an issue of he was the best option up until this year, but now we have two other real options at QB. This is when the coaching staff needs to show they can make the right decision about QB and get the season (or what’s left of it) back on track. I think you can make the argument they should have been at this point a few games ago.

9. 2andToodleLoo
    9:00 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Unspecified. I call BS. This is Jarrod Vanderbilt all over again. Can’t decide if he’s going to play.

• Irish son
      7:53 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

Jarrod Vanderbilt played football? Who knew?

10. clarks
    11:02 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Honestly go back to miss st film, first game offense struggled, first 4 or so passes pretty much on the money and hit in hands and dropped. After that you could see he lost confidence in those dudes with body language alone. Seems only one he remotely trusts is ali and totally understandable to me. Also go back to Tennessee game and look at the perfect pass in the end zone and once again nice read hits him in hands and guess what, no defender close just dropped. If Terry wants to opt out would totally understand and will never hate on that kid. He may not be tom brady or peyton manning but that kid has done pretty good for us so I applaud him forever no matter what. My question is did this “minor injury” happen right before the switch because stoops has openly said that he would never have quick hook with QB and really was a bad time to switch. No knock on gatewood and I hope he turns out great but he hasn’t showed anything close in passing game compared to wilson. Let’s not forget wilson was 12-16 against ole miss with 3 flat out drops and the other would have taken pretty good effort but actually was catchable. Tennessee stats were similiar though less percentage of drops from incompletions. Either he really is injured or something and they letting on like its minor or his confidence in wr is so bad and he keeps tucking it cause he is assuming it will be dropped. Dont be surprised if Terry is done that allen ends up grabbing those reins and never let’s go. He is accurate and that’s going to be needed more than ever with wr who cant create more separation and play calls that are not helping them get separation as well. That is unless we give up on passing like last year and run it every single time. Go cats and terry wilson is ky football legend forever no matter what happens

11. itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
    12:08 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

Title of this article should be “Gran Is Ass”

12. dave1964
    11:10 am October 28, 2020 Permalink

Can’t much blame the kid for opting out for remaining season he don’t have receivers to throw to well ones that can catch the ball.

• claiborne_field
      12:10 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

I doesnt matter what quarterback is playing if you’re playing the wrong running back. That’s half your offense and influences everything else…

13. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:03 am October 29, 2020 Permalink

Rose is a worse starter than TW ever dreamed of being. Rose shouldn’t even be 3rd string at this point. TW has lost the step that made him a viable option qb but Stoops hates passes soooooooo. Look at how good Cincinnati did with Gran or how good Neal Brown did at both TTU and Troy. Stoops made Brown look conservative as well.