GM for a Day

josh forrest hit stick ukfootball

Just for poops and giggles, imagine that you are the GM (General Manager) of a professional football franchise. In this fairytale role, your sole responsibility is to oversee a fictitious draft. Within this draft, you are limited to five selections. So, how will you build your team? Inside out, feature an offensive skill position emphasis, or construct a defense with a dominant pass rusher and or a shut-down corner?

Draft Rules

• Players must be on current UK Football roster
  • Selection’s year or age does not factor. Consider all players to have the same experience and be the same age
  • Your draft choices must be in order. Number them 1 through 5
  • Salary cap doesn’t exist
  • Quarterbacks are not eligible (Too easy, want to see how you gauge positional importance)
  • Have fun with it, think through your selections.

I’ll go first:

1. LB Josh Forrest
  2. WR Garrett Johnson
  3. DT Melvin Lewis
  4. CB Chris Westry
  5. OL George Asafo-Adjei

So, who you got? Please explain why you drafted your chosen players. Have fun GM’s. Oh yeah, my make-believe team’s name is the Kentucky Coal Miners.

Article written by Freddie Maggard

Former University of Kentucky Quarterback and Andy Griffith Fan Club President

25 Comments for GM for a Day

1. SCCat
    7:08 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I’ll take a stab –

1) Boom Williams
    2) Melvin Lewis
    3) Jeff Badet
    4) AJ Stamps
    5) Josh Forrest

I chose my playmaker first – he’s also the dude who will sell the most merchandise, which keeps the owner happy.
    I want a run stopper/QB nightmare near the top of the list, and then a deep ball threat. Round it out with my two defensive leaders, both in tacking ability and cerebrally.

Tried to strike a balance of skill position showcase and smart defensive stalwarts…

2. Ben
    7:12 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1.Boom Williams
    2.Josh Forrest
    3.Garrett Johnson
    4.Jason Hatcher
    5.Dorian Baker

I picked em cause they’re my favorite players after Towles.
    WE ARE THE KENTUCKY LAKEDOGS

2.) Melvin Lewis
    3.) Josh Forrest
    4.) Boom WIlliams
    5.) Matt Elam

6. Dr. Leo Spaceman
    7:27 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I love this idea. It’s kind of hard with so many young guys that we haven’t even seen yet, but I’ll go with

1. Boom Williams
    2. A.J. Stamps
    3. Blake McClain
    4. Dorian Baker
    5. Denzil Ware

I’m so excited to see the new corners, especially Westry. I am 25 years old and I’m pretty sure UK has only had one real SEC-caliber corner since I’ve been watching, and that was Trevard Lindley. Corner always seems to be a weakness. I’ve never been this excited for the season to start.

7. Trailer Trash Cat
    7:33 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I go by stars and we got some four star players

1) Matt Elam

2) Drew Barker

3) Jason Hatcher

4) Denzel Ware

5) Jamal Murray

8. Bubblehead
    7:50 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Big Blue Boone Dockers

1. Boom
    2. Toth
    3. Stamps
    4. Melvin
    5. Bone

Proven Players that get it done. Our coach said it best, ” Give me winners to put on the field.” That’s right Bama fan, Our Coach Bear Bryant.

9. Reagaknight
    7:52 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1. Boom Williams
    2. Josh Forrest
    3. Dorian Baker
    4. AJ Stamps
    5. Matt Elam
    If Alex Porthyress could play tight end he’d be my go to guy

10. Coach Jamin
    7:57 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1.) Jon Toth C
    2.) A.J. Stamps
    3.) Thaddeus Snodgrass
    4.) Boom Williams
    5.) Matt Elam

I chose Toth first because I believe he is the foundation of what could be a great offensive line, and there is a solid plan for building a great football team by anchoring with intelligent, big, strong offensive linemen (i.e. 2014-15 Dallas Cowboys). Fans complained for 4 straight years about no big splashes in the early rounds of the draft with offensive linemen picks. That all paid off last year.

A.J. Stamps because he is a defensive leader, meaning he has a Ray Lewis mindset.
    Snodgrass because he is prone for a breakout season at receiver. (my risk pick)
    Boom because he has developed mentally into an SEC running back, much like Rafael Little.
    Elam because of his enormous size on the d line. He plugs holes, takes up offensive linemen, and frees up linebackers to do their job. I see him much like a Refrigerator Perry on the 85 Bears defense. (Because of this Josh Forrest is going to have an All-American type year.)

11. Kyfan502

2. J. Toth
    3. G. Johnson
    4. AJ Stamps
    5. J. Forrest

• Not The Real Turkey Hunter
      8:34 am August 20, 2015 Permalink

Best five right here! Leaders in the backfield, O-line, receiving core, secondary, and line-backing core.

13. Justin
    8:42 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1. AJ Stamps
    2. Jon Toth
    3. Chris Westry
    4. Dorian Baker
    5. Matt Elam

I’m not the type to use a 1st round pick on a RB due to risk of injury. Those guys are physical bodies.

14. Tyler
    8:59 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1.Chris West
    2.Boom Williams
    3.A.J. Stamps
    4.Jason Hatcher
    5. Blake Bone
    The way the NFL is today, u need a great secondary, I believe Westry and Stamps are going to big huge this year. You also need to play makers and I believe Boom and Bone are going to have great years and lead the offense. And my other pick is Hatcher if he gets his head right he has potential to be the next great Linebacker at UK.

15. Red rocket

2. Boom William
    3. Melvin Lewis
    4. Dorian Baker
    5. Denzel Ware

17. @BallBlog_Chad
    9:02 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

going a lot on potential here:

Elam
    Westry
    Boom
    Bone
    Walker

18. J-Dub421
    9:43 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1. Josh Forrest
    2. AJ Stamps
    3. Boom
    4. Toth
    5. CJ Conrad

19. Jdwe
    11:00 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1. Boom – can move the chains. He has great speed and explosiveness. Also can help in passing game and return game. Versatile

2. Cj Conrad- tall, athletic, good hands. mismatch for defenders. Nfl prototype tightend

3. Blake McClain- he is so versatile. Can play nickel, safety, or corner. Great pass rusher as well. Makes big plays constantly

4. Josh Forrest- athleticism. Will make plays all over the field. Really has a knack for the football. Creates turnovers. Interceptions! And a leader.

5. Big George- can’t teach what George has. Can play multiple positions up front

My team- Wentucky Kildcats…..drafting athletic and versatile guys that can play multiple positions. Players that have big playmaking ability!

20. Dylan
    11:17 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

1. Boom Williams
    2. Matt Elam
    3. Chris Westry
    4. AJ Stamps
    5. Kengera Daniel

21. Super Bowl Team
    12:14 am August 20, 2015 Permalink

1st Pick: Jon Toth
    2nd Pick: Josh Forrest
    3rd Pick: Chris Westry aka next Richard Sherman
    4th Pick: Dorian Baker
    5th Pick: Sihiem King

Toth is the best center in the SEC, and he’d be a great player to build your o-line around. Forrest is the next best linebacker from Kentucky. Chris Westry, like I said, is the next Richard Sherman. Dorian Baker is a playmaker and makes huge blocks. Sihiem King is a blazing fast RB who will get me big yards when I need them.

22. Michael Franklin
    12:47 am August 20, 2015 Permalink

John Toth
    Melvin Lewis
    AJ Stamps
    Boom William
    AJ Stamps
    Garrett Johnson…
    in that order, cause the best teams draft linemen and elite defenders first, and Stamps is an elite defender. If Garret Johnson was bigger, I may have him higher, but he is going to end up being a possession receiver who’s bread and butter is consistency. Receiver is tough at this point because guys like Bone, Baker, and Montgomery are all guys that could turn into big time, first round type guys, but they are still too young to truly project that high. Can’t believe you didn’t have Toth on that list though!

23. jcatron
    8:22 am August 20, 2015 Permalink

1. AJ Stamps
    2. Jon Toth
    3. George Asafo-Adjei
    4. Melvin Lewis
    5. Matt Elam

Stamps might be the best player on the team this year (I hope so) so him first then…you gots to have size…

Hard not to put Garrett Johnson and Dorian Baker in there but I need to see more this year…

Forrest is great but Im not sure his game will translate well…yet…

Boom would be a great Free Agent pick up b/c of speed but not an every down back in the league.

Westry and Conrad…need to see him in a game first…

24. woohop1